View Poll Results: Is Tye Hill off to a (__[blank]__) start?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Great start. I feel proud of him already.

6 30.00%
  • As expected for a latecomer rookie.

14 70.00%
  • Don't think he will impress anyone anytime soon.

0 0%
    RealRam is offline Registered User

Tye Hill's 1st RookieRam day at TC

Hill Has Busy First Day
    Monday, July 31, 2006

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

It didn’t take Tye Hill long to get his first official welcome to the NFL both on and off the field.

Soon after his arrival to Rams Park to sign his five-year contract with the team, he entered his first defensive meeting. He was quickly prompted to partake in his first rookie performance.

As Hill belted out the R Kelly song “I Believe I Can Fly,” he was flanked by a barking Victor Adeyanju, the fourth-round draft choice out of Indiana. Needless to say, the performance didn’t go over too well with the veterans.

“They didn’t like the song,” Hill said, laughing. “I couldn’t think of a song to sing but somebody said I Believe I Can Fly so I just went with it. They didn’t like it.”

Most rookies stick to their school’s fight song when they are asked to perform, but Hill couldn’t come up with his.

“I can’t sing the school song because I don’t know it,” Hill said. “Don’t tell Clemson, but I don’t really know the fight song.”

While Hill’s performance piece in the meeting room didn’t go too well, he acquitted himself much better on the practice field Monday morning. Hill seemed to keep up with the pace of the workout and said he didn’t think he had any mental mistakes.

But that doesn’t mean that Hill’s first practice was without error. After having a solid showing in the earlier part of the workout against some of the receivers deeper on the depth chart, Hill got his official introduction to the big time when he was paired against all-everything receiver Torry Holt.

“I jumped his route then he changed the route on me in the end zone and caught the ball,” Hill said. “Like I said, I didn’t have my feet under me and he was like ‘Welcome to the league rookie.’

“He got me. He got me a few times today. But he’s a Pro Bowler; he’ll be in the Hall of Fame. Going up against him will just make me better.”

For the most part, Hill’s debut was solid. He didn’t seem confused by any of the defensive schemes or drills that were thrown at him and even participated in most of the special teams drills.

Hill said Sunday night that he wasn’t too concerned with his knowledge of the defense not being up to par; rather he was more worried about his physical condition and being able to withstand the heat.

Coach Scott Linehan said Hill performed well in his first practice.

“Tye Hill got his first practice in, got his feet wet and he did just fine,” Linehan said. “He’s got a lot of things to get done. He’s going to do some extra conditioning when we have our conditioning practice and try to speed up his conditioning as well.”

Has Hill been absent from training camp much longer, he might have had a difficult time getting caught up. But it seems his ability to recall what he was doing in that time was where it needed to be on the first day.

Hill was not out of position, even on the plays where Holt might have beaten him deep and seemed to hold up well throughout the practice.

“Today I just wanted to get back physically ready and get my cardio right,” Hill said. “I didn’t want to have any mental errors; I don’t think I had any today. If I did, I will correct it for tonight’s practice. Basically, I just wanted to run and get my feet back under me and getting back into my stances to play corner.”

Hill’s arrival comes in the middle of one of the more heated training camp position battles. The cornerback spot has already had one contender, Ron Bartell, move to safety to free up space. That move leaves Jerametrius Butler, Travis Fisher, Fakhir Brown, Hill, Dwight Anderson, DeJuan Groce and Kevin Timothee competing for spots.

It’s likely the Rams will keep five cornerbacks with the possibility of Bartell being the fifth as a sort of utility player in the secondary. Hill spent most of his first workout with the second-string defense as Brown, Fisher and Butler have emerged as the leaders in the race for starting jobs.

Hill will be worked almost exclusively as a cornerback before eventually getting a shot at nickel back when he has grown comfortable. With all of that competition waiting for him, Hill quickly went to work on playing catch up as he stayed after to catch some extra balls.

“I’m going to have to have some extra time,” Hill said. “I am going to have to study film a little more; I’m going to have to learn how to study pro film and stuff like that. I have to get that done while I’m a rookie.”

And while earning a starting job is a nice goal for this year, Hill has loftier things in mind for the near future.

“I’m trying to be a Pro Bowler in two years,” Hill said. “That’s the truth.”

:ramlogo:

Re: Tye Hill's 1st RookieRam day at TC

NW's intro to the above article (placed after the article itself!): Sorry.

Tye Hill got a warm welcome to Rams Park on Sunday night, but he was in for a little bit more of a rude awakening Monday at his first practice.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Don't hurt him Torry!
    A starter this year / A Pro Bowler in two years... I believe it will fly!
    Go for it, Tye!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

chiguy is offline Registered User

Too soon to tell.

AugustaRamFan is offline Registered User

Had he been into camp on time, he would have been off to a good start. Showing up even a little late is not good in my book.

I had the same issue with Barron last year. Lost time is lost time, he can never make it up. I Like Hill's upside, but he will have to prove it to me.

Diesel Jay is offline Registered User

My wife and I attended yesterday morning, and were surprised to see #26 out there -- we hadn't heard that he had signed. So, of course, we snapped a few pics of him in action - tijec.smugmug.com/gallery/1726604

One of those gives you an idea of his athleticism. MacDonald caught the ball, but Hill really flew in trying to bat it down. He's got some great vertical leap, and was timing his jumps better even towards the end of practice. The other pic, with Tory almost out of the frame, gives you an idea of how badly Holt smoked him. Tory just give him a little shimmy, Hill bit, and Tory trotted towards the side of the end zone. The move illicited a number of responses from the crowd!

- Jay

NFLTopGun is offline Registered User

hill can sure leap, but hopefully he'll learn to cover better. i have confidence in him.
    :clanram: DIE HARD RAMS' FAN!

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Jay
    My wife and I attended yesterday morning, and were surprised to see #26 out there -- we hadn't heard that he had signed. So, of course, we snapped a few pics of him in action - tijec.smugmug.com/gallery/1726604

One of those gives you an idea of his athleticism. MacDonald caught the ball, but Hill really flew in trying to bat it down. He's got some great vertical leap, and was timing his jumps better even towards the end of practice. The other pic, with Tory almost out of the frame, gives you an idea of how badly Holt smoked him. Tory just give him a little shimmy, Hill bit, and Tory trotted towards the side of the end zone. The move illicited a number of responses from the crowd!

- Jay
    Awesome pics man! Torry catching the ball in the end zone (What else is new?) really got Hill angry so I've heard. Not really angry, but making him hungrier to get better each and everyday, and to me, that's great to hear.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Im gonig to go for As expected for a latecomer rookie.

One of those gives you an idea of his athleticism. MacDonald caught the ball, but Hill really flew in trying to bat it down. He's got some great vertical leap... --Diesel Jay
    Saw the pictures (DJ, how about placing them in the Gallery here?)

Wow! Hill the Flyer! Or, The Flying Hill.

Whomever measured Hill at 5-10" didn't get it right. Looks more like 6-3"!

Once Tye begins to time his leaps better and get the feel of NFL receivers, he really might turn into a real pass breaker / snatcher. Hopefully he'll show true grit as a tackler on running plays too.
    Last edited by RealRam; -08-01-2006 at 09:43 PM.