Jd_UK is offline Registered User

UK fan breakdown from NFLUK

Article from NFLUK this morning, I've taken out the prior year stats because the formatting didn't translate well. Two things of note; since 2007 the Rams haven't appeared in the top 10, and every year since 2007 the whiners have. Just goes to prove that us Brits can be pretty stupid when we want to be!

Enjoy,
    Jd

The Chicago Bears and New England Patriots can both lay claim to being the most popular NFL team among UK fans in 2011.

While the three-time Super Bowl champion Patriots are the number one ranked team according to those registering at nfluk.com, the Bears were named as ‘favourite team’ by 20 per cent of those attending the most recent International Series game at Wembley last October. They beat the Patriots (9 per cent) into second place ahead of the home-team Tampa Bay Buccaneers (7 per cent).

As we continue to share the results of our fan research at Wembley, don’t forget that you can book your tickets to see the St Louis Rams host the Patriots on October 28 by clicking here.

The popularity of teams among those going to Wembley obviously fluctuates year to year, so here is a breakdown of the ups and downs over the past few years, as well as how those ranking compare with the information from our nfluk.com database:

New England Patriots 9.5%
    Miami Dolphins 7.1%
    Philadelphia Eagles 5.5 %
    San Francisco ***** 5%
    New York Giants 4.9%
    Washington Redskins 4.8%
    Dallas Cowboys 4.8%
    Green Bay Packers 4.8%
    Chicago Bears 4.7%
    Oakland Raiders 4.4%

Our game research, which we are sharing exclusively with you, allows us to build up the profile of a ‘typical’ NFL fan in the UK. How closely do you match this photo-fit description?

The typical game attending fan is a 38-year-old male. He lives in the UK, but outside London, and has a university degree. He is either married or living with a partner and goes to Wembley for International Series in a group of three people. He has Sky and reckons that the best NFL game in London so far was the 2008 shoot-out between the New Orleans Saints and San Diego Chargers.

Here are a couple more interesting facts from our research:

20 per cent of those going to International Series games have been to all five
    Half the fans consider themselves a fan of the league as much as being a fan of a specific team

I prefer to think that its the English that are the silly ones ;-)

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Re: UK fan breakdown from NFLUK

I remember back in the 80's, when the initial boom of Gridiron hit our shores. I remember quite a few people who I knew, made themselves New "England" fans because they were english. I thought it was a silly idea back then, and still do. Although the Pats fans in England, will obviously disagree with me. The Rams obviously need to go on a good run, as it looks like the Pats have been picking up a lot of fans over more recent times. Now's the time to plant that seed Mr. Fish.
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -02-21-2012 at 11:14 AM.

Jd_UK is offline Registered User
    Haha, well hello Mr Salmond I didn't recognise you at first

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

Re: UK fan breakdown from NFLUK

"I remember quite a few people who I knew, made themselves New "England" fans because they were english.
    I'm a Rams fan because my star sign is Aries !!!!
    nah im kidding, thats just another silly idea lol

but i am an Aries.

Where does the Mighty Rams place on the UK pop charts?