AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Under the Radar (And Loving It)

After winning the Super Bowl in 1999, the Rams were in everyone's spotlight. They were a team to be reckoned with... The Team to beat... a contender...

With that status, came the accolades... GSOT... Pro Bowl players... "best at his position..." MVP candidates...

And when the predictions came in, the Rams were in the mix among the league's top teams.

Now, all that is over. The Rams are out of the spotlight. They are flying under the radar.

And that's not necessarily a bad thing.

The truth is, the Rams have a lot of talent on their roster. They will take the field on opening day with one of the league's most efficient QBs, an up-and-coming RB, one of the best WR Corps in football, two talented rookie TEs, one of the best OT tandems in the game, a D line with two former Pro Bowl players, one of the most talented young MLBs in the NFL, and a promising mix of young and old DBs (yes, that's an optimistic view, but one based in a reasonable assessment of the roster).

If you've watched the game long enough, you will know that the following statement is true: all great teams are greater than the sum of their parts.

Because this is true, one has to ask the same question that could have been asked before the 1999 season: do the Rams have enough talent to be successful if they play as a unit?

I say the answer is yes. And here's the best part... unlike the past few seasons, nobody will see the Rams coming. Its not the same old Martz offense with the bend-but-don't-break Lovie/Marmie defense. If the Rams start winning, teams will have to figure out how to deal with a team that will be more a bit more conservative on offense, and substantially more aggressive on defense.

Hopefully, by the time teams begin to figure all that out, the Rams will be hosting a playoff game.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -07-10-2006 at 02:48 PM.

hank_612 is offline Registered User

Re: Under the Radar (And Loving It)

Two talented rookie corners? Am I missing a rookie. Tye and ? Maybe you meant to talented rookie TE's.

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

I just cant wait till the new defence steps on the field and starts playing! I agree we have great talent on the team, we just didnt have good coaches in the past years.

Welcome to the Clan Hank 612!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by hank_612
    Two talented rookie corners? Am I missing a rookie. Tye and ? Maybe you meant to talented rookie TE's.
    You are correct, Sir! That is, in fact, what I meant.

Welcome to the Clan!

AugustaRamFan is offline Registered User

Marshall:

Look'n like he over did the pecs though.....lack'n some support..(wink wink - you know what I mean..??)

Back to the thread - I also like operating in stealth mode, the less hype the better at this point.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Attrition is a variable that you can't predict in the NFL. Tom Brady goes down early, where does that leave the Pats? Hate to say it this way, but he's due for an injury season. All QB's have them.

One thing I like about the Rams this year is that they:

1. Don't have a Peyton Place atmosphere like last year.
    2. Not going to the playoffs allows for muscles and bones to rest.
    3. New coaching staff may bring a hunger that Martz may have forgot about.

rams#1 Guest

It is so great, I am so excited about the rams this year, you guys may have to hose me off, we are going to rock.

go rams.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Tom Brady goes down early, where does that leave the Pats?
    In a world of hurt. They have absolutely nothing behind Brady.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Let's hope it is a big turnarund this year and we have a lot to get all nuts about!:ramlogo:
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

viper is online now Registered User

I agree Av, we will definitely be flying under the radar this year. It was tough in the days of the GSOT when everyone was gunning to be the team to take the Rams down. Being under the radar will give us an opportunity to catch teams off guard.

As you mentioned, we have alot of positives going into this season. There is no doubt that we have alot of talent. The key will be getting them to put it all together as a unit. The coaching staff has brought a badly needed breath of fresh air and appear to have brought some stability, direction and enthusiasm to the team. I think we're going to suprise a few people this year. I can't wait! Preseason is just around the corner!

Go Rams!!! :ramlogo:

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Attrition is a variable that you can't predict in the NFL. Tom Brady goes down early, where does that leave the Pats? Hate to say it this way, but he's due for an injury season. All QB's have them.

One thing I like about the Rams this year is that they:

1. Don't have a Peyton Place atmosphere like last year.
    2. Not going to the playoffs allows for muscles and bones to rest.
    3. New coaching staff may bring a hunger that Martz may have forgot about.
    TX, I 100% agree with you, especially on #3. I've been preaching that a lot, I think the new coaching staff will give a lot of inspiration to players (Especially on the Defensive side of the ball.). A great video I saw yesterday was Bulger saying his arm is 100% now, so that is definitely a GREAT thing for us. All in All, I think we're gonna get a lot of things done this season, hopefully become elite again, and be the leaders of division (which we should always be).

GO RAMS :ramlogo:

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

theodus69 is offline Registered User

GIGIDY GIGIDY......I'm as excited as Quagmire. Get the damn season going already!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

Could not agree more , With a new direction and enthusiasm and the talent we STILL have I expect big things this year ... We have what it takes to be on top of the west , Last two years have not not been do to lack of talent it been lack of leadership from the top on down ... I,m very excited about the future ...