Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By sosa39rams

Thread: Underrated Defense

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Underrated Defense

As the old saying goes: "it starts in your own division". Last year we were rather dominant in our own division finishing 4-1-1. That could actually be 5-1 if Brandon Gibson hadn't gotten that very avoidable penalty on the first play of OT vs the ***** (Illegal formation penalty because he was off the LOS - negated an 80 yard pass to Danny Amendola that would have given us the ball on their 4 yard line).

Here are our numbers against our division QB's:

Colin Kaepernick: 325 yards, 0 TD's, 0 INT's
    Russell Wilson: 410 yards, 1 TD, 4 INT's
    Kevin Kolb + Ryan Lindley: 601 yards, 0 TD's 4 INT's

In 6 games in our own division we allowed a total of 1,408 yards, 2 TD's, and 8 INT's. An average of 235 yards, 0.3 TD's, and 1.3 INT's per game.

I think it's safe to say we dominated that division. Hopefully we can continue to build on that domination. We added a few new pieces on the defense (quick guys like Ogletree will be HUGE with stopping the mobile QB's).

Hopefully our offense can improve big time. Our passing offense was weak last year, as was our run offense. SJ was good for about 4 YPC but offered 0 threat of scoring or breaking a big run. Our new trio offers fresh legs and the killer ability to break a long one at any time.

If our passing game can pick up (I believe it will) we can make the playoffs. Additions like Jared Cook and Tavon Austin are huge, not to mention a guy like Jake Long. I believe Chris Givens will develop into a great WR. Pairing him with 2 guys that can do damage inside is lethal. If we can get another guy to emerge on the opposite side of Givens for split end (please step up Brian Quick, MASSIVE potential) we can do infinite damage.

What Jeff Fisher has done to this team is nothing short of a miracle. It's no secret, the guy knows how to build a football team, and definitely knows how to win. If we can continue to grow and stay particularly injury free, we have a great shot at making the playoffs.

GO RAMS!
    RealRam and THOLTFAN81 like this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Underrated Defense

I'm more concerned about opponents outside our division. While our intradivisional record looks nice, outside our conference was pretty bad. Hopefully our defense will step up against good passing teams as they were exposed by the likes of Rodgers and Brady. I think our corners should do a better job this season as they have a belt worth of experience while Tim Walton is our defensive coordinator, his resume has been good thus far during his time with Detroit, specifically on 3rd down. Other than that, I expect a Top 10 defense this coming season.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Underrated Defense

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    I'm more concerned about opponents outside our division. While our intradivisional record looks nice, outside our conference was pretty bad. Hopefully our defense will step up against good passing teams as they were exposed by the likes of Rodgers and Brady. I think our corners should do a better job this season as they have a belt worth of experience while Tim Walton is our defensive coordinator, his resume has been good thus far during his time with Detroit, specifically on 3rd down. Other than that, I expect a Top 10 defense this coming season.

Yeah But! How many other NFL defenses weren't exposed by Brady and Rodgers?

GO RAMS!