Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Union opposes Rush Limbaugh's bid to buy St. Louis Rams

Smith sends e-mail detailing opposition
    By Chris Mortensen
    ESPN
    Sunday, October 11, 2009

NFL Players executive director DeMaurice Smith on Saturday made a move to solidify the union against a bid by conservative talk show radio host Rush Limbaugh as part of a group that aims to purchase the St. Louis Rams.

In an e-mail to the union's executive committee on Saturday specifically addressing Limbaugh's bid, Smith said, "I've spoken to the Commissioner [Roger Goodell] and I understand that this ownership consideration is in the early stages. But sport in America is at its best when it unifies, gives all of us reason to cheer, and when it transcends. Our sport does exactly that when it overcomes division and rejects discrimination and hatred."

Limbaugh and St. Louis Blues owner Dave Checketts are among six potential ownership groups that have discussed buying the Rams. League sources say the current sale price has ranged from $700-to-$750 million but that there did not appear to be an imminent transaction.

On Sunday, Smith briefly elaborated, "This communication is more about what we stand for than the reality of our role in any franchise sale. While it's true the subject matter was related [to Limbaugh's bid], I do understand that the NFL does not present ownership bids to me or the NFLPA. I encourage our players to express their views."

At least seven NFL players have publicly opposed Limbaugh's interest in purchasing the Rams with Checketts. In Smith's communication Saturday with his executive committee, the union leader encouraged players to speak their mind on all matters, including Limbaugh's bid.

"I have asked our players to embrace their roles not only in the game of football but also as players and partners in the business of the NFL," said Smith in the e-mail. "They risk everything to play this game, they understand that risk and they live with that risk and its consequences for the rest of their life. We also know that there is an ugly part of history and we will not risk going backwards, giving up, giving in or lying down to it.

"Our men are strong and proud sons, fathers, spouses and I am proud when they stand up, understand this is their profession and speak with candor and blunt honesty about how they feel."

Limbaugh has expressed a number of controversial racial ideas in the past. For example, he suggested that Gen. Colin Powell supported Barack Obama's presidential candidacy simply because he was black, and he also stated that the media wants black quarterbacks to do well and that Donovan McNabb doesn't deserve much of the credit he has received for the Eagles' success.

Among the half-dozen interested buyers of the Rams, there are strong African-American ownership groups interested in buying the Rams, including businessmen Donald Watkins and Dave Steward.

The league has maintained it does not publicly address potential franchise sales. All transactions, when formally presented after a thorough background check, are decided by the 32 owners by vote.
    Not meant to start a political discussion - and a discussion on politics will not be allowed - but simply trying to report developments in Rams-related news.

jec1521 is offline Registered User

Re: Union opposes Rush Limbaugh's bid to buy St. Louis Rams

It seems like this guy DeMaurice Smith is trying to politicize this situation as much as possible, IMO. If Rush Limbaugh wants to buy the Rams, he should be allowed to, regardless of whether or not the head of the Player's Union disagrees with him.

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

i figured this would happen, and i think the goodell and the owners will probably agree, though i believe they aren't allowed to speak of it publicly.

TheTalkOfTheArch is offline Registered User

six groups? wow. Hopefully they're all interested in keeping the team in St. Louis. As much as I'd like to see African-American ownership in the league Watkins is from Birmingham and they're trying to build a new stadium. I don't trust him.

-- I agree with the NFLPA though. The thought of politics never enterered the discourse until Rush was interested in buying the team. He's too polarizing. Its just not a good move.
    Still I'm confident the right ownership will be found and the team will stay where it belongs.

bigredman is offline Registered User

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

I don't really care either way who buys the team, but I will say Demaurice Smith is just as biased as Limbaugh. He has no right to open his mouth.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD413 View Post
    I don't really care either way who buys the team, but I will say Demaurice Smith is just as biased as Limbaugh. He has no right to open his mouth.
    could not have said it better, this guy is trying to turn it into a racial thing and thats just wrong and he should stay the hell out of it,if someone like Al Sharpton who is just as controversial was one of the potential buyers would he be saying the same thing, I don't think so.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

with our proud history of being fore-runners in the process of integrating players into the NFL on talent instead of skin colours..as opposed to the stance the Redskins for example took...i`d hate to see us soil that!

also i kinda feel sorry for Checketts because i think he would make a great active owner..but having Limbaugh onboard has already undermined his role..and he hasnt even become the owner yet.

anyway,i cant see either Chip & lucia selling to any group that Limbaugh is a part of or the rest of the NFL owners not voting against it..maybe limbaugh would get past one of those two hurdles but i think the odds of both passing..are bigger odds than someone other than Ursain Bolt winning the 100m race at the next olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    could not have said it better, this guy is trying to turn it into a racial thing and thats just wrong and he should stay the hell out of it,if someone like Al Sharpton who is just as controversial was one of the potential buyers would he be saying the same thing, I don't think so.
    So he's opposed because Rush is white, but he'd have no problem with Sharpton because he's black? Come on. Now you're sounding like Rush;
    Limbaugh has expressed a number of controversial racial ideas in the past. For example, he suggested that Gen. Colin Powell supported Barack Obama's presidential candidacy simply because he was black
    Let's delete this thread before it gets ugly again, and it will, and just wait to see if this actually happens. Haven't we already had to delete enough of these Limbaugh threads?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    So he's opposed because Rush is white, but he'd have no problem with Sharpton because he's black? Come on. Now you're sounding like Rush;

Let's delete this thread before it gets ugly again, and it will, and just wait to see if this actually happens. Haven't we already had to delete enough of these Limbaugh threads?
    BRM, do you know for sure thats not the case ?

swatter555 is offline Registered User

I am always floored at how angry Rush Limbaugh makes people of the liberal persuasion. He is a talk show host! He is not a world leader or a politician directing public policy, he simply espouses a point-of-view that you are free to disagree with.

I'm sorry, this race thing is a bunch of bull. Limbaugh's comments are no worse from a racial perspective than many "respected" members of the black community that I hear often on a weekly basis.

I think we need to accept diversity. Diversity is a good thing, but lets not simply limit diversity to skin color.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

i agree with Big Red that this is gonna get out of hand again...but what a thing to have..we gotta be the only fans website where talking about a potential owner (albeit a potential part owner ) is a taboo subject. please let us be owned by somebody else for that reason alone.

Limbaugh makes racist comments..and yes im sure people of all skin colours also make racist comments..but is only Limbaugh that is interested in buying the Rams. so he`s the only one whose outspoken views matter when we talking about all things Rams..

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by swatter555 View Post
    I am always floored at how angry Rush Limbaugh makes people of the liberal persuasion. He is a talk show host! He is not a world leader or a politician directing public policy, he simply espouses a point-of-view that you are free to disagree with.

I'm sorry, this race thing is a bunch of bull. Limbaugh's comments are no worse from a racial perspective than many "respected" members of the black community that I hear often on a weekly basis.

I think we need to accept diversity. Diversity is a good thing, but lets not simply limit diversity to skin color.
    If you don't see his ability to affect public policy and opinion, you have not been paying attention to events in this country. Limbaugh is more than a talk show host, simply because of the number of people he can reach and sway.

As for whether or not they are more worse than what Al Sharpton says, that is irrelevant, for they are equally bad. The difference is Sharpton doesn't want to buy a stake in the Rams.

Keeping the team in St. Louis is not worth being spat on and despised by large chunks of the population.

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

whether you agree with the perception of the guy or not, the perception is there and always will be, particularly among the black community, which happens to make up most of the nfl. nobody's going to take a risk on this guy in this league, trust me. if he wants to make a move towards a baseball team i could see it happening - it's not necessarily right, it's just the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    BRM, do you know for sure thats not the case ?
    Do you know for sure it is?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast