View Poll Results: Was it unrealistic to think we should've won at least one Superbowl under Martz

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Realistic Expectations

34 85.00%
  • Unrealistic Expectations

6 15.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

unrealistic expectations

It has recently come to my attention that I as a Ram fan had "unrealistic expectations" because I believe the Rams should've won at least one Superbowl during Mike Martz's tenure. Keep in mind that this poll is not calling for your opinion in hindsight, but rather how you actually felt about the team going into each season.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Re: unrealistic expectations

Realistic.

While unproven as a HC he was the OC for the GSOT and it was thought the team could carry him into a Dynasty.

His inability or unwillingness to adapt to game conditions and make adjustments hurt him. And us.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Totally realistic -- and it almost happened* too! :bash:

From a loyal Coach MMM supporter.

*. - Not in hindsight but back then.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Maybe we should have won the one against the Pats but circumstances dictated that we didn't. Everyone says we should have run the ball more in that game but Faulk was being stymied in the first half. Sometimes, the other team just plays a little better. What if the defense holds the Patriots to punt on that last drive? What if the refs don't give the Pats five downs on that last drive? The Rams came roaring back in the 4th qtr to tie that game.

In 2000, the defense was atrocious. Martz blows it up, gets some new guys in, and then makes a Super Bowl run. 2003, our secondary was banged up and when you have Sehorn on Smith, that's just a bad matchup.

Believe what you want, blame whoever. However, just remember what all of you are saying RIGHT NOW ABOUT A COACHING STAFF, it's the players that make plays, not the coach. I think you are being extremely unrealistic, and most of you are holding a double standard when it comes to the Rams and Martz. No way would most of you allow what's happening now if Martz was around without screaming for his head on a polished silver platter. However, because it's Linehan he gets all the sympathy that a jilted bride would receive.
    Last edited by txramsfan; -12-11-2007 at 11:38 AM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

To expect any team in a two year span (in this particular example: '00-'01) to win a super bowl is completely unrealistic. By definition, to expect is to anticipate with reason and justification. What reason and justification could we possibly have to "expect" and better yet "realistically expect" to win a Super Bowl?

Football is played on a field, not on paper and a calculator. Fans can not expect a Super Bowl, that is define success by a Super Bowl, when the truth is ANY team can beat ANY other team ANY day of the week.

Sometimes, the best team does not win. That's just the way it is. Look for scapegoats if you like, if it makes you feel better, but the best team isn't handed the trophy simply because their fans say they are the best team.

The 2006 Colts, 2005 Steelers, 2004 Patriots, 2002 Bucs, and yes.....the 2001 Patriots. All Super Bowl champions, and none of them considered the best team going into the playoffs. For every one of those champions, there is at least one other team who feels they "should have" won it all. And, in most cases, they too looked for a scapegoat. And they too expressed expectations which are unrealistic.

Every team COULD. No team SHOULD.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rambos is offline Registered User

because I believe the Rams should've won at least one Superbowl during Mike Martz's tenure
    I also thought Martz was a very good HC and believe the Rams should've won at least one Superbowl during Mike Martz's tenure. But the ball is not round and it rolls funny sometimes.
    Last edited by Rambos; -12-11-2007 at 04:09 PM.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Didn't hear it personally, (an interview with Faulk by two New York sportscasters), but read an account of it on the internet. Very interesting.

Bottom line, Faulk ran as much in the SB we lost as in the SB we won, and right on his average for ALL games.

When asked why the Rams lost, then, he said because of three turnovers and a missed field goal.

And he's right, 9and didn't even mention the muggings.

So please quit regurgitating the "Martz didn't adjust" crap, 'cuz that's really all it is.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

HuBison - This is absolutely the LAST time I'm telling you this.

There is simply no room on this board for well thought out, rational posts.

Please make me repeat myself.

You've been warned.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Oh my, 3 turnovers and a missed field goal....Martz is to blame. When Holt fumbles against the whiners, and Wilkins misses a FG then it's the players fault and you can't blame the coach.

See what I mean? Linehan gets more chances than a lottery scratch off game.

moloch41 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post
    When asked why the Rams lost, then, he said because of three turnovers and a missed field goal.
    And lovie smith going soft at the end of the game and letting the Patsies march into FG range didn't help either...

RamOfDenmark Guest

I guess I would call it realistic. The team we had was good enough both in 2000 (mostly the offense) and 2001 (maybe our best team ever). Things don't always go as expected though and there's a certain bit of luck to it also once you get to the playoffs where you could be out of it all because of one bad game - as they say the playoffs are a whole new season where anything can happen. That said, I don't solely blame Martz for not winning a Superbowl, we had the players to do it those 2 years, but you still need things to bounce your way (and vs. the Pats we got robbed like everyone knows, but let's not bring that up again it'll only make me explode in rage). At least we were competitive every year, won lots of division titles and always made the playoffs. I always felt we could win any game back then, even down by 3 or 4 scores and a quarter to go I was still thinking "watch out, we're not done yet". We missed out on the dynasty thing, but we were still one hell of a team.

rizzo Guest

Just dont sell ur tickets to Steelers fans or they will take over the stadium next Thurs. Get there get drunk and support the rams. F Pittsburgh. Go rams this would be the upset of the year

GreatestShow99 is offline Registered User

I felt that the Rams were a lock to get to New Orleans and win it all as soon as Hakim muffed that punt return against the Saints in 2000. I also felt that way before the '02 season started. I thought they would redeem themselves after the super bowl fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Oh my, 3 turnovers and a missed field goal....Martz is to blame. When Holt fumbles against the whiners, and Wilkins misses a FG then it's the players fault and you can't blame the coach.

See what I mean? Linehan gets more chances than a lottery scratch off game.

This is not what this thread is about. All I asked was if it was realistic or unrealistic to think the Rams would win at least one Superbowl under Mike Martz.

Linehan has absolutely nothing to do with this poll.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    To expect any team in a two year span (in this particular example: '00-'01) to win a super bowl is completely unrealistic. By definition, to expect is to anticipate with reason and justification. What reason and justification could we possibly have to "expect" and better yet "realistically expect" to win a Super Bowl?

Football is played on a field, not on paper and a calculator. Fans can not expect a Super Bowl, that is define success by a Super Bowl, when the truth is ANY team can beat ANY other team ANY day of the week.

Sometimes, the best team does not win. That's just the way it is. Look for scapegoats if you like, if it makes you feel better, but the best team isn't handed the trophy simply because their fans say they are the best team.

The 2006 Colts, 2005 Steelers, 2004 Patriots, 2002 Bucs, and yes.....the 2001 Patriots. All Super Bowl champions, and none of them considered the best team going into the playoffs. For every one of those champions, there is at least one other team who feels they "should have" won it all. And, in most cases, they too looked for a scapegoat. And they too expressed expectations which are unrealistic.

Every team COULD. No team SHOULD.

I believe you just can't admit you were in the same boat as everyone else who expected the Rams to win a Superbowl under Martz. Save your diplomatic explaination for someone naive enough to buy it. My apologies to you VegasRam.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -12-11-2007 at 11:26 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast