throwback week



View Poll Results: Was it unrealistic to think we should've won at least one Superbowl under Martz

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Realistic Expectations

    34 85.00%
  • Unrealistic Expectations

    6 15.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 40 of 40
  1. #31
    RealRam's Avatar
    RealRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    8,576
    Rep Power
    68

    Re: unrealistic expectations

    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    If the Rams had any kind of respectible defense after the SB win, surely there was an excellent chance to walk away with another SB victory. I recall K. Warner raking up lots of points, but the defense giving up lots of points. Yes Martz started working to improve the defense (too late); but never saw him as being a defensive genious coach and it took away from talent he would rather have had on offense.

    So what if Martz was still the HC? Not sure when or if the Rams would have been back to the SB, yet all I have to do is look at Detroit and how he is doing as OC. Last I looked the Lions look respectable for the most part. Perhaps with a respectable Defense, and a better offensive line the Lions might have walked away with the division championship--still its a marked improvement in Detroit.
    Very good points Dragoon. It's all speculative of course, but I think it validates consideration on a healthy and serious "what if" basis. So far this season we have had at least three games, make that four, that were close to tipping the scoreboard scale to a 'W'. I believe Coach MMM, with our current defense, would have had little trouble winning those games. On that premise, the current record would be 7-5. Now add two more wins, even one, based on sheer Martzinian madness and we stand at 8-4, easily within wildcard.

    But that is all moot, isn't it.


    As for "expectations", we came into a semantics situation. :x

    'Expectations' are, in addition to the lexiconic perspective, usually used in, and related to, determining or, even setting, goals, mission statements, visions and such arrays of values or objectives connected with future achievements -- in itself inherently meaning positive results.

    That is a far as I can go in saying and maintaining that, given the potential* Coach MMM had in 2000 / 2001, especially with what transpired in 99 and afterwards throughout both of those regular seasons, yes, I "expected" as in 'forecasted' the Rams to win those SBs.

    Surmising then for the purpose of this thread, I'm thinking of expectations in terms of...

    a) forecast = predicting, foretelling based on observation or experience
    b) i.e., odds = the statistical facts that come into play in order to create a future trend
    c) i.e., probabilities = the suggested evidence for what may become truth or reality

    And this last term BTW, 'probability' conveys, as it rightly ought to, much more weight than "possibilities". That's why I believe there is enough reason to give credit [here at least] to the idea of unrealistic and realistic expectations as brought up initially in this topic.


    That is my personal take on what I've researched and understood this 'expectations' noun to be in English. ...I clarify that English is not my native tongue not as an 'excuse' if I were to be mistaken, but to explain that sometimes I have to stop and analyze on the fly when writing, speaking, or reading in English because I almost always do so in Spanish ["mi lengua materna" :-)]. So please excuse my ongoing linguistic learning curve; I'll always try to adjust to a reasonable happy medium.

    Thank You Clan for being patient on this particular communication aspect of mine.



    *. - To me, that potential alone, that a-w-e-s-o-m-e, record setting GSOT potential **a sigh of longing** warranted these extremely high and favorable ... expectations.
    Last edited by RealRam; -12-13-2007 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Typo, spelling


  2. #32
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,709
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: unrealistic expectations

    [QUOTE=HUbison;202826]And you are free to believe whatever you like; one of the many beauties of this country. But the assessment does not rise above the assessor.


    Say what you want, but I'm willing to bet you every Ram player, coach, front office employee, owner, most of the 60.000 fans, sportswriters, commentators, Las Vegas, sports talk hosts, former players, current players, former coaches, current coaches and most of the voters in this poll, just to name a few, thought it was realistic to think that we should've won a superbowl under Mike Martz.

    For me, that's enough to end this debate. I do thank you however, for your opposing viewpoint.

  3. #33
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,574
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: unrealistic expectations

    And finally, because I believe he was the main reason why we didn't met those expectations.
    How can you say you expected to win it all and then slam the guy who gave you such hope?

    because I believe he was the main reason why we didn't met those expectations.
    So he gave us a chance at another SB and then when we lost that game, he is now a crappy HC?

  4. #34
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,709
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: unrealistic expectations

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    How can you say you expected to win it all and then slam the guy who gave you such hope?



    So he gave us a chance at another SB and then when we lost that game, he is now a crappy HC?

    Rambos, while I admire your persistence, I am ready to put my feelings about Mike Martz to rest. At least for a while.

    I will say this however, Mike Martz did a lot of great things for the Rams, but for me it was time to let him go. I was not calling for his head after the Superbowl loss, though I do believe he was badly outcoached. The beginning of the end for me was the Carolina playoff game, (which i put squarely on his shoulders) for not giving his team a chance to win in regulation. It only got worse from there in my estimation, deteriorating to a point of no return. Check some of my other posts about Martz if you want, they should clarify my position and why I think he's not a good head coach but rather a great offensive coordinator.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -12-13-2007 at 11:23 AM.

  5. #35
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,706
    Rep Power
    145

    Re: unrealistic expectations

    Quote Originally Posted by fortuninerhater
    Say what you want, but I'm willing to bet you every Ram player, coach, front office employee, owner, most of the 60.000 fans, sportswriters, commentators, Las Vegas, sports talk hosts, former players, current players, former coaches, current coaches and most of the voters in this poll, just to name a few, thought it was realistic to think that we should've won a superbowl under Mike Martz.

    For me, that's enough to end this debate. I do thank you however, for your opposing viewpoint.
    Well, if that assumption is where you are hanging your hat, then I agree, there's nothing further to debate.

    Though it has been a fun one; certainly more fun than watching another Sunday loss. Thanks for playing along.
    Quote Originally Posted by RamDragoon
    So what if Martz was still the HC?
    Let's reverse that.......what if Martz was NEVER the HC?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  6. #36
    txramsfan's Avatar
    txramsfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    Age
    50
    Posts
    7,266
    Rep Power
    65

    Re: unrealistic expectations

    Ok, this "discussion" was based on the talent the Rams had during the Martz term and should a Super Bowl had been won. Based on this criteria, why haven't the Rams won more than 3 games this year? I mean, we do have Holt, Bruce, and Jackson. That's too much talent to just win 3 games?

  7. #37
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,574
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: unrealistic expectations

    I will say this however, Mike Martz did a lot of great things for the Rams, but for me it was time to let him go. I was not calling for his head after the Superbowl loss, though I do believe he was badly outcoached. The beginning of the end for me was the Carolina playoff game, (which i put squarely on his shoulders) for not giving his team a chance to win in regulation. It only got worse from there in my estimation, deteriorating to a point of no return. Check some of my other posts about Martz if you want, they should clarify my position and why I think he's not a good head coach but rather a great offensive coordinator.
    Fair enough.. last thoughts. It's fair to say Belichick has out coached a lot of coachs and i agree he did that day. Martz is a better OC I agree, and Martz did let this team slip big time on the D. Nuff said.
    Last edited by Rambos; -12-14-2007 at 12:41 PM.

  8. #38
    ramsanddodgers's Avatar
    ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,275
    Rep Power
    51

    Re: unrealistic expectations

    Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Ok, this "discussion" was based on the talent the Rams had during the Martz term and should a Super Bowl had been won. Based on this criteria, why haven't the Rams won more than 3 games this year? I mean, we do have Holt, Bruce, and Jackson. That's too much talent to just win 3 games?
    As you know, TX, everything begins in the trenches. Without time to throw or holes to run through not much can be accomplished.

    The Rams' decimated line should be sufficient evidence to support the statement.

    As for the thread's original theme, which was turned on it's head to reflect a specific game or instance, I still believe we had a "Realistic expectation" of returning to if not winning another Super Bowl.

    An "expectation" is not a fact or a "sure bet" but rather it was a hope based on the recent ad possibly unexpected success in which were still basking in the afterglow.

    (ex·pec·ta·tion –noun 1. the act or the state of expecting ... 6. the degree of probability that something will occur)

    Who could blame us for being giddy and wanting more? Even with the yearly raiding of winning teams for "impact players" and said players chasing the big contracts while they were still available the Rams still had a strong nucleus of players and the hopes of a return to the Super bowl were, indeed, high. (Reasonable Expectation)

    This, of course, is MHO and it is ancient history. We are now in a rut (the difference between a rut and a grave is the depth) and hopefully a tow truck will happen along and help us to get back on the right road. The road to victory!
    RnD

    GO RAMS!!

  9. #39
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,706
    Rep Power
    145

    Re: unrealistic expectations

    An "expectation" is not a fact or a "sure bet"
    Oh contrare, my friend. In this example it is enough of a sure bet to indict the man at the helm for not meeting that expectation. As for hope......well, we all cling to that.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  10. #40
    laram0's Avatar
    laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    57
    Posts
    9,312
    Rep Power
    109

    Re: unrealistic expectations

    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    It has recently come to my attention that I as a Ram fan had "unrealistic expectations" because I believe the Rams should've won at least one Superbowl during Mike Martz's tenure. Keep in mind that this poll is not calling for your opinion in hindsight, but rather how you actually felt about the team going into each season.
    My realistic expectation for 2007 was 1 playoff game at the very minimum.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: -03-03-2006, 09:43 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: -08-29-2005, 08:08 PM
  3. What are your expectations for this year
    By CRAZYHORNS in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: -07-21-2005, 09:20 PM
  4. Great Expectations of U.S. Soccer
    By txramsfan in forum OTHER SPORTS
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -02-11-2005, 06:13 PM
  5. Expectations for this evening
    By txramsfan in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: -09-02-2004, 08:34 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •