throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Update on Rams Cap Room

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Update on Rams Cap Room

This is snipped from his full article reporting on the Jake Long signing but I figured it was worth its own thread:

For now, it is also unknown what his salary-cap figure is for 2013. Prior to the agreement, the Rams had a little more than $6.2 million in cap space, but later in the offseason, they will need between $5 and $6 million for their rookie pool.

Rammed is offline Registered User

Re: Balzer's Update on Rams Cap Room

So many different numbers floating around. Judging by the numbers in 2012 we need 6.1M for our rookie class. So that's all space gone. But as I think even you mentioned before there's always room within the cap. Although I think Demoff will only resort to 'smart' capmanagement as a last option. Because it will have implications down the road.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

I think the first casualty is Harvey Dahl - he has a $4M salary and no dead money from cutting him so it gets us the full $4M. Darian Stewart is probably next, as he's in the same boat but would save us only $1.3M. Kendall Langford would get us $3M. Apart from a restructuring of a big contract (Bradford, cough cough), I think those are the only options to save big money.

I expect the Rams to go safety and guard early in the draft since getting rid of both Stewart and Dahl would potentially leave us with 2 real holes at guard and 2 more at safety.

Fastcat is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    I think the first casualty is Harvey Dahl - he has a $4M salary and no dead money from cutting him so it gets us the full $4M. Darian Stewart is probably next, as he's in the same boat but would save us only $1.3M. Kendall Langford would get us $3M. Apart from a restructuring of a big contract (Bradford, cough cough), I think those are the only options to save big money.

I expect the Rams to go safety and guard early in the draft since getting rid of both Stewart and Dahl would potentially leave us with 2 real holes at guard and 2 more at safety.
    Uummm, Stewart was just resigned like a week ago. He isnt getting cut!

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    Uummm, Stewart was just resigned like a week ago. He isnt getting cut!
    Probably not, was just kind of throwing it out there though. But apparently his contract has no guarantees so we could cut him pretty harmlessly.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

I'd rather not cut one of our best lineman in Dahl just to save a couple million

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I don't think the Rams need to cut anyone (especially Dahl).

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I don't think the Rams need to cut anyone (especially Dahl).
    I hope you're right, I don't really know what the cap situation is without knowing how Long's contract is structured. I'm just going off the tweet that Nick provided which kind of suggests we'll have to do something. Hopefully those numbers are not entirely correct. Anyway I'm not really suggesting what I think should be done, just listing what I think the most likely options are if we do need to shed salary cap space.

Based on the cap numbers I am looking at, here are the top savings possible to the Rams in 2013:
    Harvey Dahl: $4M
    Langford: $3M
    Stewart: $1.3M
    Dunbar: $1.3M
    Saffold: $880K

None of those options appeals to me. If the Rams had to choose among them, though, I think Dahl's salary would be the first to go.

I think what this tells us is that the Rams can either absord his 2013 salary or have a restructuring up their sleeve. I don't think they would sign Long knowing that it would require one of these players getting cut.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I'll bet they've been doing some re-structuring and moving of hard cap to signing bonus' and whatever else to manipulate the cap.
    KiwiRam likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Kendall Langford would get us $3M. Apart from a restructuring of a big contract (Bradford, cough cough), I think those are the only options to save big money.
    Nice one Nick . I believe Big Ben, Brady, etc. "restructured" their deals to bring in more money for the team. However, I ain't buying they took major paycuts. Those guys still generate a lot of revenue for their respective teams, so they know what they're worth. I believe the way this front office has done business, they've probably never even brought this up to Sam's camp. Why? because they're going to honor their franchise QB's contract, where Sam is entering potentially, heck finally, a year of a second system and support around himself.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

This web site has all the cap numbers, and unless the Rams have some serious dead money from 2012, they appear to have some cap left, and in fact quite a bit. St. Louis Rams - 2013 Cap Hits

I added the top 51 and came up with $107 million, before Cook and Long, who together count no more than $10 million I would guess, year one.

That would appear to leave $6 million left under the cap, so maybe the Rams when talking space, are already INCLUDING that amount needed to draft.

Otherwise the bumbers don't add up.
    Rambos likes this.
    Barry Waller

Also, the team made a one year offer to Delmas, which had to be at least $2.5 million or so, and then they already were offering Long, and knew what it woud take, so they clearly had room left after Long, which would have been used on Delmas. I say another safety will get it, maybe even Mikell.
    Barry Waller

Sorry, here is the website:
    St. Louis Rams - 2013 Cap Hits
    Barry Waller

ACtually, if you take the top 30 Rams, including Cook and Hayes, on this site, and add the cap hits, the top 30 count $98 million this year. This is Pre Long.

Long counts $6 million say, unless they did a deal that counted a lot year one.

So that's 31 guys, $104 million...right?
    The top 51 count against the cap, and as of now, those 20 players all make around $500,000 cap hit this year.

So you add $10 million for the bottom bunch, some who will be replaced by equally cheap rookies, and you have $114 million.

That's AFTER Long, providing his cap is $6 million in 2013.

The cap is $123 million, so where is the missing $9 million in cap, if they say they are at it now????????
    Barry Waller

I was working off slightly different numbers, but from your link the top 51 players (pre-Long) are $107M. Dead money is $10.3M. We have $250K of rollover from 2012 so we're at $117M out of a total 2013 cap of $123M. However, that will probably end up being about $122.5M after workout bonuses get deducted from the salary cap.

So that gives us about $5.5M in space, not including Long and draft picks. Estimated cap charges for the draft class are about $6.3M but they will also take 8 roster spots from the cheaper players on the roster. Let's say those 8 spots would save us $4.3M - so the net effect is a cap charge of $2M, which leaves us with $3.5M in space.

Long is going to cost us more than $3.5M obviously, so we need to reduce cap charges somewhere. Your $6M seems a tad low to me but even at that we're $2.5M over. Also note that you need a little breathing room so that you can sign players during the season to deal with injuries. If you want that cushion to be $1M - $2M then we're in the neighborhood of needing $4M based on this back-of-the-envelope math.

Edit to add: I think what you're missing in the above post is the dead money of around $10M, basically Mikell @ $6M and Jason Smith (the gift that keeps on giving) @ $4M.
    Last edited by Nick_Weasel; -03-18-2013 at 03:58 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast