Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Update: Rams top the list for Jenkins, third round pick is best offer

The folks around the league who talk about these kinds of things seem split right now as to whether the Panthers will actually trade DT Kris Jenkins or not.

Fact is, there are several teams who'd be interested in adding him, a list topped by St. Louis. But at this point, it doesn't sound like anyone's offered more than a third-round pick, and that may not be enough to get a deal done. Whether it becomes player-for-player or a higher pick, it sounds like the Panthers might be inclined to keep him if the offers don't grow.

They have shopped him -- of course, they've probably shopped some other players we haven't heard about -- but they don't sound at all like they're ready to give him away. If it got to the point someone offered a first, they'd be crazy not to take it, and they're not crazy. Ditto for a high second. But it's hard finding many in the personnel business who think he'll yield that much, making a return a real possibility.
    http://community.heraldonline.com/?q...d_the_campfire

This is the blog of Darin Gantt, who according to his bio has been covering the Carolina Panthers for 11 years, nine of which have been with The Rock Hill Herald.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Update: Rams top the list for Jenkins, third round pick is best offer

Wow, if we don't get him and we still can't stop the run next year, I will really be down on Linehan. Maybe we just play better, maybe we draft a stud DT, maybe we just dropped the ball. Only time will tell.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

This is all just more smoke from the Panthers front office to generate panic from defensive starved teams like ours. They know they have plenty of time to unload this guy for a good pick or a healthy player. If this guy was really worth a number one or two pick, trust me they would find a way to keep him.

RealRam is offline Registered User

If we are in fact topping the list of teams interested in Jenkins, and offered no higher than a 3rd, then I believe we've been negotiating well and have not budged. From the Rams perspective this is good strategy, considering that we have 'other' plans in mind for this year's DL.

Thanks for the update Nick.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    If we are in fact topping the list of teams interested in Jenkins, and offered no higher than a 3rd, then I believe we've been negotiating well and have not budged. From the Rams perspective this is good strategy, considering that we have 'other' plans in mind for this year's DL.

Thanks for the update Nick.
    Indeed, but I hope those other plans aren't all hoping that the draft picks we get become stars or something...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Nice find Nick. It'll be interesting to see what we might be willing to do to up the ante, if at all.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I agree with mikhail on this one. I think that the panthers are going to trade him for the best pick they can get, but why should they settle for a third now? this is going to be a draft day trade, just like aeneas. The risk carolina is taking of course is that jenkins balloons up again weight wise, but i am confident that they are willing to play the waiting game unless someone offers them a second round pick or the right combo of picks and players.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

Why not give up a 2nd for him? He could be exactly the spark this D needs.

Especially, if the Rams could get one of my big four: Anderson, Okoye, Landry, Willis.

One of the above mentioned DL prospects coupled with Jenkins and Little would be a formidable force up front.

If your one that gets caught up with value charts and things on paper, they could always trade down and recoupe a second.

Of course I think that all of this would be dependant upon Jenkins passing a physical. I can't see any team investing money&draft picks without atleast a weigh in.

Seems like a players physical condition would definately determine their value.

Country Guest

The Rams are refuring to get hosed in the trade and I like that the Panthers can squack all they want but the Rams will give them value.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

A 3rd. While I think Jenkins is NOT worth a first, and his price tag might be a little high for us, I'd go for a third and a compensatory for him. We could sweeten the deal a little by adding that conditional next year. To me, that seems like a good compromise.

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

The Panthers are right IMO to hold off on any deal and see what they can squeeze out from the interested parties.They are looking after themselves and I wouldn't expect to see Jenkins dealt until closer to the draft unless they get an offer they can't turn down..

itsguud is offline Registered User

I can't believe we haven't offered a second for him. He is exactly what we are looking for right now. A second for him is a golden trade for us. As I have been preaching "we won't find a DL to save us in the draft, why not trade a 1st or second for a proven vete?"

^ When are they just gonna hire me so I can make some solid moves like this!

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Jenkins is not the cure-all for this defense, although alot seem to think so. First, he'd have to be healthy. Second, he'd have to be in shape. Aside from that, we still need additional help on the line. I do think that Kennedy would be much improved with someone the quality of Jenkins by his side, but I still think we need more help on the DL or a bigger LB ....

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post
    I can't believe we haven't offered a second for him. He is exactly what we are looking for right now. A second for him is a golden trade for us. As I have been preaching "we won't find a DL to save us in the draft, why not trade a 1st or second for a proven vete?"

^ When are they just gonna hire me so I can make some solid moves like this!
    I mean really, what do we know about Jenkins? Healthy? In shape?

Does he have a say on where he wants to play?

If we can steal him I say let's do it. If not, stick with the draft.

z.nrd Guest

Why not give up a second?

Cause that's a lot to pay for a player who has so many question marks. I mean, if he were even worth a 1st or 2nd, you would have to wonder why they were trading him in the first place. No one just gives up on a rough and ready, dominant DT. What a team MIGHT do is give up on a declining player who has worn out his welcome.

What if the Rams had a dominant DT? They don't--imagine if they did. Why would they give up on him when he had 3 years left on his deal and they didn't have cap issues? The answer could only be---(1) they were being crazy, or (2) he's declining and there's something going on with him, so parting with him is a serious option. If it's option #2, how much is that player really worth to another team?
    Last edited by z.nrd; -04-10-2007 at 09:28 AM. Reason: forgot something

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast