general counsel is offline Registered User

This is an UPSIDE game

Injuries aside, this game really has only upside. Its a very tough road game against a team we dont match up well against, even with their injuries. We are healthy, coming off a bye and hopefully rejuvinated for the rest of the season, but we have been unable to consistently stop the run all year and this is one of the best running teams in the nfl with what is maybe the best back in LT and a solid young improving qb. They have a stout defensive line and a monster nose tackle.

If we can find a way to stay in this game, we have a legit shot to win at the end of course. If we can protect bulger, we can score on them, but of course, merriman is a part of that and his status remains up in the air at this point. I hope we have a plan to control that nose tackle, but i suspect this is one of those cases where a plan is great but execution is very very tough. If jackson cant run at all and we spend the day in long yardage situations, its going to be even tougher.

We are 9 point underdogs which is a very big spread and tells you that the oddsmakers, who know more than any of us, think that bye or no bye, injuries or no injuries, we are in big trouble.

To me, our shot at this game is simple. We have to win the turnover battle convincingly and score tds in the red zone. In short, we will need to play our best game of the year and hope that they make some mistakes. If we can do that, we have a shot in this game. If we only play a half or maybe even three quarters of football, it wont be enough on the road against sandiego.

At the end of the day, this is NOT a game we have to win. Thats what i mean when i say it really has only upside as long as we dont get hurt. The game we will have to win is the following week at home vs kc.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: This is an UPSIDE game

Based on the Chargers injuries and the Rams seemingly playing to the level of their opponents, the point spread seems out of wack. I would understand maybe 4 or 6 points.

The Rams can win this game outright.:r

thoey is offline Registered User

Point spread or not, only thing that matters is a W. But it also reminds me of week one. Hopefully it reminds the coaches and the team of that too...

This space for rent...

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Agree about the "upside" remark...

I'm interested in seeing how we play against a quality opponent, in their crib. If we get beat, it will have been expected by most, as noted by the point spread. But even if we lose, but put up a valiant fight in the process, the Rams can still gain something from this game. If we can find a way to win, and I believe that we have a fighting chance to do just that, then we'll gain large amounts of confidence.
    But there is a "downside" I believe, and that would be a blowout. If that were to happen, the "critics" would be spouting off about how the Rams finally played a quality opponent and didn't show up, proving their mediocrity. It won't be the end-of-the-world for the Rams if they do get blown out, but it will take them some time to recover, and the road immediately beyond is a rough one, and a blowout could make it even tougher.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    "downside" I believe, and that would be a blowout. If that were to happen, the "critics" would be spouting off about how the Rams finally played a quality opponent and didn't show up, proving their mediocrity. It won't be the end-of-the-world for the Rams if they do get blown out, but it will take them some time to recover, and the road immediately beyond is a rough one, and a blowout could make it even tougher.
    Agreed this would really tell what kind of a team we are froma negative standpoint. Really we were saying the same vs. Seahawks, and if we were to win that wouldn't say nothing again, sense the Chiefs got a victory too against a banged up Chargers team. The Seahawks they say were without the services of Mr. Alexander.

So oh well the downside will be a very down side. (Hope that made sense)
    Last edited by LA Rammer; -10-25-2006 at 01:37 AM.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

I don't disagree with the spread at all. We're playing a team that a lot of people, despite the loss to KC, consider to be the best in the AFC. They have a great running game with the best back in the league, and our rushing defense is suspect at best. I'm pretty sure SD is gonna come out and pound the ball early and often. They are gonna be pissed after that loss last week, and want to take it out on us. I think we have to come out and attack on offense and try to get an early lead, taking them out of their gameplan and trying to make Rivers make mistakes. As others have said, Field Goals just aren't gonna get it done in this game, we gotta punch it in. I think if we do that and get some turnovers and capitalize, we should have a shot at this thing.

I also think that it's important not to get blown out, we have a tough stretch coming up here and our guys have to believe that we can play with the elite teams.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

[QUOTE][If we can protect bulger, we can score on them, but of course, merriman is a part of that and his status remains up in the air at this point/QUOTE]

Hopefully Merriroid will be deinjected and we will be able to contain him.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey