Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By general counsel
  • 2 Post By shower beers

Thread: Valiant Rams fall one yard short in 14-9 loss to seachickens; The Good, Bad and ugly

general counsel is offline Registered User

Valiant Rams fall one yard short in 14-9 loss to seachickens; The Good, Bad and ugly

The Rams played their hearts out tonight in their first game following Sammy's season ending injury but came up one yard short in a heartbreaking 14-9 loss to the seachickens. The Rams played a dominant game defensively (with the exception of one mistimed jump by Janoris resulting in an 80 yard td), holding Seattle to 7 first downs, 135 yards of total offense and recording 7 sacks, but two bad INT's, the inability to convert td's in the red zone and a terrible miss by The Leg from 50 yards out cost us the game. There was no quit in the Rams and the biggest question for Rams nation should be "Where was this defense all year?"

The Good

The defense. As mentioned, 7 first downs allowed, 7 sacks, lynch held to 8 rushes for 23 yards, 10 of which came on a 3rd and 19, excellent tackling, pretty good coverage (excellent game for janoris despite the one untimely miss). Time of possession was 38-21 in our favor and we ran 71 plays to their 40. I dont think you can really play much better defensively in that close a game. Seattle had -1 yard in the first quarter and 43 yards at halftime.

Quinn (5 tackles, 3 sacks, one tackle for loss) and Long (2 sacks) were dominant, albeit against backup tackles.

Zac Stacy is the running back. 26 carries for 134 yards. Sure wish he had been in at the end instead of Richardson (not that there was any hole on the third down play). Zac runs hard, showed some elusiveness and is rock steady. He even converted a couple of short yardage runs, something the Rams are obviously awful at this year.

The last drive of the game. We started on our own 3 and went 96 yards with a backup qb converting a number of third downs and some solid runs by Stacy and a couple by Richardson, all without Harvey Dahl who was out with a knee injury.

Hecker had some nice punts pinning seattle deep.
    Clemens got better as the game went on, made some nifty moves to get away from pressure, and did about as well as could be expected, notwithstanding some terrible throws and big misses. The key tonight was obviously the running game.

The Bad

Too many penalties again.
    Inability to pick up the same corner blitz multiple times in the red zone, including the last play of the game.

Terrible miss by the Leg on the 50 yarder. That miss really hurt us enormously.
    Couldn't punch the ball in the end zone.
    Terrible tackling on the second INT, allowing a 55 yard or so return which set them up for the td.
    Janoris was in great position to make the INT on the 80 yard td and mistimed his jump, leading to a horrific 80 yard td pass.
    The Bates hold after the kickoff when we should have had great field position after the taunting penalty. By the way, can someone please explain to me why the taunting penalty was assessed AFTER the kickoff since the taunt happened DURING THE PLAY and in the field of play, not during the celebration?

Too may drops. Terrible drop by cook on a 3rd and 3 near midfield. Drop by givens at the goal line and too many penalties (a saffold false start took us out of long field goal range).

Not sure what to make of the last two play calls from the one yard line. It's easy to second guess. I think Clemens missed Pettis on first down, it should have been a td at the back of the end zone. I would have liked to have seen a bootleg at the end. I want to know why if stacy was ok to get on the field for fourth down, why he couldnt be in the game on third down. Quick never really had a chance at the ball. Hard to say if it was all on the throw, the pressure on clemens, or quick turning the wrong way. Bottom line is that we still have no rushing tds this year and while this was certainly our best running game of the year, with the game on the line we couldnt punch it in.

Red zone performance. Tough to win a game when you cant punch it in for TD's.

The Ugly

Three penalties on one play on the defense on 2nd and goal on the 9, including one of two bad penalties on trumaine that gave them a first down at the one (great D on first and second down, they just squeezed it in on 3rd down, and that conversion, unlike our failures in the red zone and at the goal line was all the difference)

The Two int's were both terrible. I appreciate that Cook stopped running on the route on the first throw, and i am not defending that, but clemens had givens wide open on a much easier throw and didnt take it. The second INT was just awful, pettis was wide open, terrible thrown.

On the Jake Long illegal downfield penalty, i thought clemens could have run the ball in. The play looked pretty ugly to me.

Tavon Austin has got to learn to come up and make the catch on the punt returns. He is letting to many bounce in front of him and its really hurting us in field position. No excuse for not catching the last punt that rolled down to the 3 yard line after he let it go.

Losing a game where you have two plays to gain one yard (after Carroll practically gave it away with a terrible non use of his time outs) is ugly no matter how you slice it and no matter how much effort you put in.

Summary

This game says it all about the Rams season to date. If it isnt for bad luck, we have no luck at all. The Rams dominate the game, but find a way to lose, and the seachickens do what superbowl contenders do, they find a way to win a game on the road where they are completely outplayed. Turnovers, lousy red zone, a terrible missed field goal and an inability to gain one yard at the end really takes us from within an inch of a tremendous win to just another painful and tough loss. Lots of positive things to take away, but there really are no moral victories. The Sammy injury breaks my heart. This is a game we win with him at qb and no matter how you slice it, the rest of the year is going to be rough, when we had so much promise going into the season and even going into the carolina game. Let's see if the defense can keep up this intensity and keep us in games. Quinn and Long wont play against two backups every week, but let's see if we can keep the momentum against the Titans, who are a tough team. It's a game we have a legitimate shot to win, and while nothing is easy in the NFL, this is one of the best chances to win we have left on the schedule (along with the Tampa game).

Ramming speed to all and keep the faith. Sammy will return.

general counsel
    RealRam likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Valiant Rams fall one yard short in 14-9 loss to seachickens; The Good, Bad and u

Thanks GC, a terrific report as always. Too bad Rams still lingering too much in the Bad / Ugly areas!

Stacy played his heart out, even on a bad ankle. OL did a better job. Dropped passes still haunting us?

AGAIN we had several opportunities to win this one. Clemens might have redeemed himself with that last, heartbreaking drive. Oh, that was a heartbreaker!!!

AGAIN: P E N A L T I E S ! Some of them critical.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Re: Valiant Rams fall one yard short in 14-9 loss to seachickens; The Good, Bad and u

Chris Long has 3 sacks. Not 2.

thoey is offline Registered User

Good write-up sir. So many questions... Biggest to me was what was wrong with Stacy at the end of the game. Richardson likes to run into the lines back. I would bet that Stacy punches that in....
    This space for rent...

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Chris Long has 3 sacks. Not 2.
    And Mighty Quinn to become mightier.

Decent job by the Rams D and DL.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Thanks for the correction on chris long, although i thought that he got credited with one sack that belonged to Jo Lon (the one at the goal line where Wilson barely avoided a safety)

ramming speed to all

general counsel

shower beers is offline Registered User

Pettis actually fell down a bit on the second pick, although it was still a bad throw. He might have been able to catch it had he been able to keep his balance.

Hekker has been a tremendous asset for us. Really underrated in my opinion.

Stacy ran well, but I'm starting to get concerned with his growing number of minor injuries. He seems to have to come off the field each week since earning the starting role. He was shown grimacing in pain on the sidelines. I hope these don't all catch up with him because we need him now more than ever.

Saffold continues to guarantee us a false start penalty every week. He was only in for 21 snaps! It's crazy how much we can bet on him messing up at least once a game. Jake Long keeps getting "exotic" penalties I haven't seen called in months and months. Dahl almost guarantees us a penalty each week also.

Overall though, the line played another GREAT game, considering we were up against one of the best d-lines in football, and shredded them with both Stacy and Richardson. Three sacks, considering the level of competition and and quarterback play, seems very reasonable.

Profootballfocus wrote this on Long in particular:
    It would be a stretch to say that Jake Long is back to his absolute best form in terms of consistency, but he is playing very well and in isolation his performance last night was right up there with the best we have seen from him in his career. Surrendering no pressure in the passing game, Long also did plenty of hard work to open lanes for Stacy on the ground, earning a +3.1 run blocking grade as he consistently laid good ground work for both running backs to get consistent gains to his outside. The Rams rushed 11 times off left tackle and left end gaining 81 yards at 7.4 yards per carry, of which 39 yards (3.5 per carry) came before first contact. After a couple of injury riddled seasons to end his time in Miami, Long is slowly recovering his form this season and this exceptional performance capped a strong first half season as a St Louis Ram that sees him sit eighth in our tackle rankings. We’ll see if he can build on this consistency and reclaim the position he once held among the league’s elite left tackles.

And also on our RTs:
    - Matching Jake Long at left tackle, both Joe Barksdale (59 snaps) and Rodger Saffold (21 snaps) surrendered no pressure at right tackle.

Our receiving corp really needs to get coached up or start improving any way they can. Drops and broken routes continue to plague the offense, whoever is behind center. A drop by Givens could have been a score. A drop by Cook could have kept moving an important drive with great starting field position. Stacy bounced a pass off his chest that nearly led to another interception.

Penalties are still killing us. 3 from the same team on one play? I've never seen that before, ever. We hung around for so long in part because Seattle was even worse, but we could have potentially been in a much better position had we not killed ourselves with penalties again.

A great night in pass coverage from everyone. Jenkins' play on the ball cost us a touchdown, but I liked the coverage and the decision to go for the pick. He positioned himself properly but misjudged it by a half step. He'll get that the next time, and our offense needed a turnover like to to change the course of the game. Johnson seemed to play good enough, penalties aside. Nary a peep from Finnegan, which in his case is a good thing. I only remember hearing his name for blown coverages and penalties this year it seems.

Clemons is who we thought he was. He showed why he's a quality number 2 by keeping the chains moving any way possible. Some great scrambles in the form of runs as well as evading pressure in the pocket to make some throws for first downs. Any disruption that he couldn't avoid however, was pretty much guaranteed to be a bad throw. Say what you want about Bradford, but he has made more than a handful of clutch throws this year under those same circumstances. I don't think anyone would argue that a healthy Bradford last night would have gotten us a victory.

Questionable play calling on the last drive in the redzone sure, but people seem to ignore how we marched right down the field for 97(?) yards to get there. Not sure why we put the game on Quick's shoulders, he hasn't yet shown the confidence to go up and get a ball like that. Seattle's corners are too tall and rangy for throws like that to be successful most of the time.
    Last edited by shower beers; -10-29-2013 at 11:35 AM.
    live4ramin and UK Ramfan 83 like this.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Thanks for the correction on chris long, although i thought that he got credited with one sack that belonged to Jo Lon (the one at the goal line where Wilson barely avoided a safety)

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Speaking of Jo Lon, if he is under a little more control, he gets a safety on that great goal line tackle near the goal line. Nice play, could have been a great play.
    Semper Fi!

RebelYell is offline Registered User

On Jake Long being downfield, I also thought Clemens could have run the ball and while I think he should have, when they showed the replay it was obvious he wasn't getting into the endzone. Seattle had 2 defenders converging on him. Still, Long was reasonable to think Clemens would run the ball IMO.

Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson are quality CBs.