RamWraith is offline Registered User

Vermeil to be added to Ring of Honor

By: Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

The Rams will add Dick Vermeil to the Ring of Honor at the Edward Jones Dome during a halftime ceremony Nov. 2, when the Arizona Cardinals are in town.

Vermeil took over as the Rams’ head coach in 1997, and his first two teams went 5-11 and 4-12. Then in 1999, the “Greatest Show on Turf” opened for business. The Rams went 13-3 during the regular season, en route to a 23-16 victory over Tennessee in Super Bowl XXXIV. Vermeil retired after that season, although he returned to the NFL in 2001 as coach of the Kansas City Chiefs. He left after the ‘05 season.

“Dick Vermeil was a tremendous coach and is an even better person who provided so much to the city of St. Louis and the Rams organization,” team owner Chip Rosenbloom said in a statement. “We are thrilled to celebrate a man who was a great source of pride and happiness for our mom and her beloved Rams fans.”

Vermeil, who will turn 72 on Oct. 30, lives with his wife, Carol, on their farm outside Philadelphia.

All for now . . .

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Vermeil to be added to Ring of Honor

I've got to say (and I recognize that this might not be a popular opinion), I don't agree with this move.

Vermiel had one great season, but I hardly think he was the primary reason for the Rams' success, and he was only with the Rams for 3 years.

Also, it sets a precedent that might make for a very crowded ring of honor. From GSOT years alone, wouldn't you have to then include (upon their retirement or shortly thereafter): Warner, Faulk, Bruce, Holt, Pace, Timmerman and Wilkins? It would get pretty crowded up there.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -10-23-2008 at 05:11 PM.

CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User

Re: Vermeil to be added to Ring of Honor

I Cali approve this comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I've got to say (and I recognize that this might not be a popular opinion), I don't agree with this move.

Vermiel had one great season, but I hardly think he was the primary reason for the Rams' success, and he was only with the Rams for 3 years.

Also, it sets a precedent that might make for a very crowded ring of honor. From GSOT years alone, wouldn't you have to then include (upon their retirement or shortly thereafter): Warner, Faulk, Bruce, Holt, Pace, Timmerman and Wilkins? It would get pretty crowded up there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit myspace.com/polejox