moklerman is offline Registered User

Vermeil, Warner, Hakim, etc.

Now, this will likely ruffle feathers but I'm just thinking out loud. I apologize if this has been posted already. But, the rumors that are out there have Martz already out the door. So, the Rams are going to need a coach, right? Okay, let's set that aside for just a second and move on to the next likely occurance. Dick Vermeil is on the way out of KC. Whether by choice or pressure from management, he seems to be done there. Back to Martz--now, this is where I have to guess a little but I'm going to assume that he's going to have a HC or OC job next year. When he came to the Rams in 1999 he brought his pupil Trent Green with him from Washington. I'm guessing that if he starts fresh somewhere he might want Bulger to go with him. Would Bulger want to go? Seems like their relationship is strong enough for it and I would guess that wanting to get out of the shadows of the GSOT in St. Louis would factor in there at some level. Part of that shadow is the memory of Kurt Warner(please take note that I wrote "memory". It's highly debatable whether Kurt can still perform at a high level and I don't want to get into that. The one thing that can't really be argued is the memory of the GSOT.) and he's still in limbo out in Arizona. The Saints are just a mess right now and who knows what they'll be doing next year with personnel so I'm assuming that Hakim would be attainable.

So, we've got the Rams without a HC, without a qb, Dick Vermeil available, who runs an offense perfectly suited for Jackson, Kurt Warner available and familiar with the offense already, and Hakim could be had if we really wanted to get sentimental.

It sounds really crazy on some levels but it also fits in certain ways. Now, it wouldn't solve anything in the long term but would it be such a horrible thing to try and rekindle some of the GSOT magic? Alright, it's basically the offseason for me and I don't have anyone to root for in the playoffs so I'm having fun with my imagination.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Re: Vermeil, Warner, Hakim, etc.

The problem with Hakim is that he is always injured now. He didn't play much for the Lions, and now for the Saints he's been injury prone also. That's something we don't need.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    What next, NFL gay players kissing on the mouth. To me it is S.O.S.: simply/obscene/sickening. Rest assured I will never cheer for a known homo player

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I want to go back
    And do it all over
    But I can't go back
    I know...

-- Eddie Money

EvilXenu is offline Registered User

Can I have some of what youre smoking? LOL
    And you thought Mike Martz was "mad"!

Is it really that far out of the realm of possibility? Not likely. Not probably. But I think it wouldn't be too far fetched to see it happen. You think it wouldn't fill the seats for 2006? I would much rather see these guys come back and try to make one more run than go through a rebuilding year. If the team's going to rebuild anyway, I can wait for 2007 to rebuild and enjoy the ride on a reunion season. As bad as things have soured from 2001 to now, on a PR level it's not such a bad thing.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Well, it may not be far fetched in the minds of some...but would the next HC want all that baggage that comes with former Ram players or would he just want to instill his own vision on what will be his team? I think he would want to groom the Rams into what he perceives, as did Saban in Miami.

Bulger is under contract, so I doubt he will be moved. WR is the least of our worries, so Hakim is out. Warner behind this O line wouldn't last past week 5.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    Is it really that far out of the realm of possibility?
    Yes, I actually believe it is.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Even if it did happen, it wouldn't be the same. Kinda like having a summer tour by all of your old favorites 80's hair bands...it brings back memories, but the receding hairlines and the rolls of fat under the spandex are just a painful reminder of what things used to be. And if one of the guys forgets his Geritol and Depends, not only will he be a half a beat behind everyone else, but he might make a really big mess of things.
    I would rather have them rebuild. Leave the memories of the GSOT alone. If there is to be a reunion, let it be at the next Rams Super Bowl victory, and again at the HOF.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam
    Even if it did happen, it wouldn't be the same. Kinda like having a summer tour by all of your old favorites 80's hair bands...it brings back memories, but the receding hairlines and the rolls of fat under the spandex are just a painful reminder of what things used to be. And if one of the guys forgets his Geritol and Depends, not only will he be a half a beat behind everyone else, but he might make a really big mess of things.
    I would rather have them rebuild. Leave the memories of the GSOT alone. If there is to be a reunion, let it be at the next Rams Super Bowl victory, and again at the HOF.
    Great post, Sam.

I think you guys are exaggerating just a tad in your assessments of the players/coaches I mentioned. No team will ever be the same as the GSOT but it's not like I'm suggesting to bring back Jim Everett and Eric Dickerson.

As far as Warner staying healthy behind this o-line I don't think it's limited to Warner. Bulger and Martin both got hurt as well so I think fixing the line is the issue not the durability of the qb. If no qb is going to stay healthy then it's not really the issue. Maybe assuming that Bulger would stay healthy was part of the problem. This o-line has needed a kick in the pants for a long time and Vermeil obviously knows how to put together a line (if my scenario played out).

Hakim was just thrown in since I was just having a little fun. He looked good in New Orleans and seems to have improved on is ball security (not fixed, but improved). I don't have a problem with Curtis but I would trade Hakim for McDonald in my scenario.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Honestly though mok, if we are going to clean house I don't want to see things of old. I'm sure some of you would love to see #13 back with the Rams but I'm one of those that would not. Too much baggage.

Too much baggage.
    I realize that it's likely not going to happen but I think if Martz was gone then there wouldn't be any baggage. That's kind of the point is that if Vermeil was coach, he'd bring in a qb that was familiar with the system he would run.

Personally, I'm not looking forward to what the Rams FO has in mind. Their track record isn't really that good over the years and while it's nice to think of the Rams as a successful franchise I don't know that the three year run they had has erased the stigma that took decades to establish. So yes, I would like to see a GSOT reunion tour more than the next Rich Brooks.

Gregg Williams seems like a good candidate but I just think the team is in a state of rebuilding and cleaning house so a one year layover to give something a little different a shot isn't so bad.

Remember, until Georgia gives up control the Rams are going to be the same old Rams more years than not.

CarolinaRam is offline Registered User

What do you mean the Rams are without a QB? Is Bulger's deal up already?

Personally, I think that the shadow that Bulger stands in isn't really Warner's anymore, it's the GSOT shadow, and that has a lot to do with Martz being around. Get Martz out and some new leadership in and I think Bulger will find it to be most refreshing. That GSOT stuff ended in 2001; it's time we moved on. That also means stop hoping that Warner will return.

And as much as I loved Hakim at times, he can keep his butter fingers in New Orleans.

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

The only baggage kurt had was with Mike Martz! Dick Vermiel was a good coach but, i relly think his heart is still here! I'd take a player with Kurt's ability back any day! I'd also keep Marc here as well! QB has not been the problem here! With a line our QB would have 4000 yards and our back would have over 1400 i guarentee it! Our DB's arent as bad as we think I dont care who you have back there If you cant put pressure on the offense with your front 7 then you are gonna look terrible! Safeties are good but, not great! They need to learn how to tackle!