Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Very Disappointing

Quote Originally Posted by dgr828 View Post
    I think the poster (MIKE) was frustrated in the Rams play, especially with all the 3 & outs up to that point of the game. Then, in a fit, projected his frustrations against that Chat room posters. "Lighten up, Francis!"
    Um, no. That's good fiction dgr, but entirely wrong. I'm used to and okay with the normal whining and fussing, but the "we're gonna lose", "this game is over", "the season is over", "we can't come back", "we can't score any points" crying from a majority in the chat room before the first half was even over and the score at 14-12, was just too much for me. Why would anyone want to listen to that kind of defeatest drivel when you're trying to root your team on?? Forget about the fact that we were dominating them and that one score was on a return and the other was on a pass so horrible, it was caught by the wrong receiver. The game was close and it was simply rediculous for people to be acting like chicken little with so much time left.

By the way dgr, during the time I could stand being in the chat room, you were a model citizen and handled yourself well.

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    There is a big difference between being critical and whining that the game is over before the half.
    Thank you ramsbruce! I hope people are listening.

San Diego Ram is offline Registered User

That's why I just watch the game and don't go in the chat rooms

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

I wasnít in the chatroom yesterday, and generally donít join the chatroom at all, but I guess I donít see why itís such a huge deal. A couple people have pointed out that weíre getting more of this in a 7-win season than we did last year at 1-15, and I think that shows that those types of responses are a reflection of how emotionally invested people are in this season. Thatís a good thing. In the same way that losing in OT is more heart-breaking than getting blown out by 30, each and every loss this year looms that much larger. When mistakes mean the difference between a W and an L, instead of just losing by 23 instead of 30, people get emotional about each and every one.

For me at least, watching the Rams is living on a knife-edge and when bad plays happen I tend to initially overreact. It usually takes me 5-10 seconds to take a breath and say Ďok, letís bounce backí or something along those lines. And it takes less than 5-10 seconds to submit a chatroom message. Thatís the nature of the medium - youíre going to get more emotional, knee-jerk reactions in a chatroom than you would in the forum.

And honestly, I donít see whatís wrong with that. So somebody says ďthis gameís overĒ when the Rams are losing by 2Ö do you really take that as a level-headed assessment of the game, as if that person truly believes that he or she can switch off the TV knowing with certainty that the Rams will lose? Or do you take that as an emotional response? And assuming itís the latter, whatís wrong with that? Thereís a kernel of truth to the reaction, as even the announcers made the remark that it reminded them of the KC game the week before where the Rams lost because they failed to capitalize on their opponentís mistakes. And to me, that makes it worthwhile. Itís an honest emotional (over)reaction to a bad play.

Those kinds of reactions are how some people watch sports. I know that because Iím one of them, like I mentioned above. I donít think itís fair to ask people to be a fan the way you want them to be a fan. I wish I could be positive 100% of the time about the Rams, but Iím not. And personally, Iíd rather get an honest emotional reaction than ask people to self-censor their negative feelings. These negative comments may not be constructive. But theyíre cathartic, and in my book that counts for something.

I can see how it would get tiring, but on the flip side I think itís equally tiring to get jumped on every time you want to take out your frustrations online. More broadly speaking, it seems like every time somebody wants to be critical of the Rams in any way, shape, or form inevitably there will be somebody with a snarky reply suggesting that theyíre an idiot (ďI guess you know more about the Rams than the Front Office doesĒ) or not a fan.

And before you accuse me of pointing the finger at you, I donít have a list of people Iím thinking of when writing this. In fact, the only person I really have in mind is myself. Iíve jumped on more than a few people for posting what I considered unnecessarily discouraging messages. But Iíve come to realize that in the end itís the tension from those posts that creates a lot of the best discussions we have on this board, and I think that alone makes them worthwhile. So I, for one, am going to embrace the negativity.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    And before you accuse me of pointing the finger at you, I donít have a list of people Iím thinking of when writing this. In fact, the only person I really have in mind is myself. Iíve jumped on more than a few people for posting what I considered unnecessarily discouraging messages. But Iíve come to realize that in the end itís the tension from those posts that creates a lot of the best discussions we have on this board, and I think that alone makes them worthwhile. So I, for one, am going to embrace the negativity.
    Good for you and those that think like you. I have no problem with people's right to express themselves based on how they feel, but when it gets to a rediculous nature in a live, dynamic public environment that creates a negative, defeatest atmosphere, I have no desire to be a part of it. Apparently droves of other members agree. It's that simple.

As I mentioned earlier, with appologies to my friend Varg, I'm just going to stay out of the chat room unless Randy is there, and let others exercise their right to say whatever they want (within site rules).

Maybe this discussion will promt some members to flock to the chat room and see what it is all about, and help create a more user friendly, positive experience. I miss the days of a crowded room with Rams fans having a good time talking about the game.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

chat room is great! just like watching the game together in person. i always have fun. we aren't communist to try to control everything members say. heck i was getting real upset at our inability to sustain long drives. it was scary to think our defense would tank out second half. i expressed these views and everybody had their input. play by play discussion beats watching alone.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    we aren't communist to try to control everything members say.
    Have you read nothing I've posted? I'm not interested in contolling everything members say, so don't make that inference. My point was that the-over-the-top, extreme negativity is something that was disappointing to see. As long as there are members who are going to "embrace the negativity" in the chat room, I'll stay out and let them have their fun. To each his own.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123