throwback week

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Veteran Bulger is ready for the new offense

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    09/07/2006

On Sunday against Denver, Marc Bulger will embark on his fourth season as a starting quarterback for the Rams. By NFL standards, that's a lengthy run. In fact, only nine quarterbacks throughout the league have more tenure with their respective clubs:

Brett Favre in Green Bay; Peyton Manning in Indianapolis; Tom Brady in New England; Donovan McNabb in Philadelphia; Matt Hasselbeck in Seattle; Trent Green in Kansas City; Michael Vick in Atlanta; Chad Pennington with the New York Jets; and David Carr in Houston.

As for Bulger, "He's the best-kept secret, in my opinion, in the NFL," coach Scott Linehan said during training camp.

Bulger's teammates, at least the ones who have been around for a while, have seen him evolve and develop since landing a roster spot as the No. 3 quarterback in 2001.

"He's matured a lot," defensive end Leonard Little said. "I think once you go from a backup to a starter, you have no choice but to mature. With Mike (Martz) being hard on him -- and hard on his quarterbacks -- it made Marc mature faster. And now he's matured enough to where he's one of the best around."

There's no doubt, playing quarterback for Martz is a pressure-packed ride in the fast lane. But it's a different kind of challenge under Linehan, complete with a different playbook, a different group of coaches, and different game-day responsibilities.

For one, Bulger is almost coached by committee under Linehan.

"He gets enough quarterback coaching out there between myself, Greg (Olson) and Doug (Nussmeier)," Linehan said. "I think we lead the league in quarterback coaches."

Olson is offensive coordinator; Nussmeier has the actual title of quarterbacks coach. In any event, Bulger usually finds himself surrounded by coaches during practice. It's clear that Linehan is less hands-on than Martz when it comes to coaching quarterbacks.

"I don't know if there's anyone in the league that's as hands-on as Mike was with the quarterbacks," Bulger said. "But it's (Linehan's) offense. I think once we get into game-planning he will be" more hands-on.

Even with all those eyes on Bulger, Linehan says his staff has been careful not to do too much. Linehan doesn't want to re-invent Bulger, much less get carried away tweaking mechanics.

"You still coach him, but you try not to over-coach him," Linehan said.

The Linehan-Bulger dynamic is in the process of changing, however, because with the regular-season opener at hand, the game-plan season is upon us. Since Linehan calls the plays, it's only natural that he will work more closely with Bulger as the game plan is presented and worked on during the practice week.

Early indications are that Linehan's game plans will be less intricate than Martz's. And that's not a bad thing, according to Bulger.

"I think if we had this system in for two or three years, we'd be working on new things like we did under Coach Martz," Bulger said. "But it might be good to bring our reins in a little bit -- maybe we overextended a little bit before -- and get back to base football from an offensive standpoint."

In other words, less thinking and more working through the progression of the reads, and just throwing the ball. Even if the offense is more basic, Bulger still is working through a transitional stage, particularly when it comes to terminology.

"There's a lot of plays where I still have to think (through)," Bulger said. "I'm good enough now with the system to go out there and operate efficiently. As long as I stick to my basic rules and correlate it over real quick -- translate it to what it used to be -- then I'm fine."

Offensive guard Adam Timmerman provided an example.

"The tricky plays are the ones that use the same terminology, but they're different plays," Timmerman said. "We used to have an '80 Press.' Now we have a 'Press,' but it's not the same play."

The "translation" process will be easier now that Bulger is working on a game plan every week instead of the entire playbook.

"Now we can just gear down and focus in on an opponent, and say, 'These are your four 3rd-and-5 calls. This is what we're going to do in the red zone,' " Linehan said.

Once Bulger gets on the field on game day, he will have more flexibility than ever before. Under Martz, the Rams had a very limited system of audibles known as "check-with-me's."

Under Linehan, Bulger will have more freedom to get out of bad plays. So instead of just executing the plays, Bulger will be called upon to manage the game.

"I think before, we had an answer for everything," Bulger said. "But it's one thing on paper."

It's another thing in the heat of a game, or "the real world" as Bulger called it.

"Now, if I don't feel comfortable with a certain protection or a certain look I'm getting, I may not completely audibleize," Bulger said. "But maybe I just get myself through with a quick throw to Torry (Holt). Or just get us out of that bad play that got us into those third-and-long situations before."

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Re: Veteran Bulger is ready for the new offense

I hope Bulger finally wins me over this year.

I suffered through so many poor, mid-level, and upper level but not quite great QB's in 38 yrs you'd think I would accept Bulger without reservation.

If he weren't preceded by one of the most accurate passers in NFL history (who also led our team to our only SB win), it would be so much easier.

I just have not seen enough, personally, to move him from very good to great.

Maybe it is a mental block, but I need to see Bulger take control of a game, and reduce propensity to turn the ball over in critical situations. Yes, like Warner did his last year in St Louis when the line could not block long enough for the receivers to get open in Martz' system. If Lineham's system allows for quicker releases it will help.

C'mon Mark, show us what you can do!

RnD

GO RAMS!!

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsanddodgers View Post

I suffered through so many poor, mid-level, and upper level but not quite great QB's in 38 yrs you'd think I would accept Bulger without reservation.

If he weren't preceded by one of the most accurate passers in NFL history (who also led our team to our only SB win), it would be so much easier.

I just have not seen enough, personally, to move him from very good to great.

Maybe it is a mental block, but I need to see Bulger take control of a game, and reduce propensity to turn the ball over in critical situations. Yes, like Warner did his last year in St Louis when the line could not block long enough for the receivers to get open in Martz' system. If Lineham's system allows for quicker releases it will help.

C'mon Mark, show us what you can do!

RnD

GO RAMS!!
    What does he need to do to win you over?

Only one team wins the SB every year.

To Bulgers defense, he has a completion of 65% overall, Warner's is 65.7% so Bulger is right there. Also Bulger never really had the line Warner had. Faulk was slowing down a bit when Bulger took over. Our return game which gave Warner good to great field position a lot of the time hasn't been there since Tony Horne. I'm not saying you are giving Bulger a bad rap, but I believe he gets a bad rap sometimes that he doesn't deserve.

Bulger is quiet, but I think people sometimes mistake that as him not being a leader.

I loved Warner, I love Bulger, we have been spoiled on offense since 99. Bulger is very underrated. Warner and the GSOT dwarf Bulger, but Bulger won me over a while back.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Kudos to Jared Cook for saying what needed to be said about being outplayed and outcoached vs the Cards.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    Bulger is quiet, but I think people sometimes mistake that as him not being a leader.
    Agreed. He was just named a team captain, so I feel confident in his ability as a leader.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ramsanddodgers View Post
    It's easy to see why Marc Bulger still flies under the radar in the NFL world when even Rams fans still aren't impressed.

All this guy has done is amass stats that have produced the sixth highest QB rating in league history, including the 65% completion percentage which ranks second all-time, second fastest in history to 10,000 yards, first in league history with four 440 yard games in a four-year period and a winning percentage that ranks him fifth among active QB's. The winning percentage might be his most impressive achievement considering he hasn't always been able to function under ideal circumstances.

When you add his warrior toughness, his calm demeanor in the most intense situations and the respect he's earned from his teammates as a great leader, it boggles my mind that many still don't see he's the real deal.

LaRamsFanLongTime Guest

That is the answer you will usually find from those that dont support Bulger. It pretty much sums it all up. There is no real reasonable explanation not to be impressed with Bulger. Its just a "Warner was the greatest so screw his replacement". I dont like it and dont think it is fair to the young man. For the record Warner is my favorite NFL player of all time and I would still argue that the decision to start Bulger was necessary. Damnit im getting worms all over the carpet I knew I should not have opened this can.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by LaRamsFanLongTime View Post
    There is no real reasonable explanation not to be impressed with Bulger. Its just a "Warner was the greatest so screw his replacement".
    Sad, but in many instances true. All the more unfortunate because Bulger bears much of the spite for a decision he had nothing to do with.