Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Chris58 is offline Registered User

Re: Veteran lets Avery know he has to prove himself

A lot of really good discussion about this subject of mentoring. As Tx says, maentoring is probably over-rated or non-existent in the NFL. As MauiRam said players either have it or don't and mentors won't make a difference. My 2 cents on the subject is that the definition of "coach" approximates the the meaning of "mentor". That being said, let's rely on the coaches to "mentor" our receivers and let's let Holt do what he does best: catch 90+ balls for 1100 yds and 8-10 TDs. Go Rams !

tomingleag is offline Registered User

Probably the best mentors are the veterans who have accepted that they are on the backside of their career and don't feel as threatened by a rookie and are willing to help them for the good of the team.

That doesn't happen so much anymore, but often the "mentor" statement really just means that a rookie will benefit from being on the same practice field as someone who has excelled at his position.

...Watch and learn.

Hopefully Avery will, if he's got the goods.

YodaRam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I can remember when Aaron Rogers was drafted by Green Bay and they asked Brett Farve if he would take him under his wing and show him the ropes. Farve had a simple answer: "nope". That's all he said.

Mentoring really doesn't exist. Maybe giving hints about what they should do but pro sports are so competitive salary wise anymore, no one wants to help someone who may take their job and money.
    Say it ain't so, TX! Spelling Favre, one of the greatest quarterbacks in N.F.L. history, FARVE?!!......I kinda like it. Someboby spelling it the way it's pronounced instead of the way it's spelled. BRILLIANT!!
    On that note, how do you pronounce Kosuke Fukudome? The right fielder for the Chicago Cubs. Hmm...?...I'm waiting.

RAM ON!
    Last edited by YodaRam; -05-19-2008 at 03:52 AM.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    The thing that would worry me here--and we don't even know if it is true--is if Torry is treating these rookies differently than he would other rookies because of how things went down with Bruce. The main reason these relatively mild quotes even make news is because they're a little uncharacteristic of what we expect from Holt. For example, when we took Tye Hill, Torry was talking about how that was who he thought we would take and playing up the positives. By comparison, this doesn't seem quite as supportive.
    Tye Hill plays on defense, not offense. He is not going to take any attention away from Holt. Holt might have been excited about the Hill pick because he had been watching him in the draft and thought it was a good pick for the team. If I remember correctly, Holt was announcing in that draft and he was in front of lots of tv viewers. I don't think you can use Holt's reaction to Hill as a good measure against new receivers being picked up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

But at least he was being supportive of a new teammate in the Hill situation. We're all quick to say that Holt isn't egocentric like those other receivers (the T.O.'s and Mosses of the world), but wouldn't treating other receivers less warmly because they might one day threaten his job security be kind of petty?

Think back to the days when Torry was a rookie in 1999. What are the iconic images of that season? Holt and Hakim running side by side down the field for an 80-yard touchdown. The Bob 'N Weave that Holt came up with for the offensive team members to celebrate touchdowns together. I think the camaraderie was part of what made the team so successful.

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Think back to the days when Torry was a rookie in 1999. What are the iconic images of that season? Holt and Hakim running side by side down the field for an 80-yard touchdown.
    Not trying to take away from your point, but I'm pretty sure that Holt Hakim running side by side TD happened in 2000 against Denver, not in 99.

I'm confident in Mr. Ellard. Avery and Burton are in good hands if they are willing to listen and learn.
    Last edited by ramsbruce; -05-19-2008 at 11:59 PM.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Yeah, come to think of it, you're probably right. Whoops.

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Yeah, come to think of it, you're probably right. Whoops.
    I'm just trying to keep the good memories straight now, time is flying by.

RealRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsbruce View Post
    I'm confident in Mr. Ellard. Avery and Burton are in good hands if they are willing to listen and learn.
    Critical requisite, critical opportunity for Avery. I'm glad Torry Holt is stepping up in leadership and in lieu of Sir Isaac. Coaches too will help Donnie start with the right foot.

Nonetheless, WR Derek Stanley has a shot, he no longer is a rookie and may prove himself in pre-season.

Good thread / posts!

keith m. klink Guest

the RAMS will have a great receiving corps this year , the rookies will do fine and a big part will be HOLT'S presence around them while ELLARD teaches them the game . HOLT was just pissed , as we all would be if our best friend and the person who taught you how to do your job the best youcan was just let go to the wind without so much a farewell . They are going to surprise the hell out of the whole NFL.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123