View Poll Results: Which Vets Won't Be Back in 2014?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Harvey Dahl

28 62.22%
  • Scott Wells

24 53.33%
  • Rodger Saffold

19 42.22%
  • Kendall Langford

7 15.56%
  • Jo-Lonn Dunbar

16 35.56%
  • Cortland Finnegan

30 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Veteran Players Who Won't Return in 2014

The Rams will have to make some financial decisions regarding players who fall into one of the following 2 categories:

(1) FAs who might be able to command multi-year offers; and
    (2) Veterans not playing up to their cap level.

So this does not go off on a tangent, Sam Bradford won't be appearing on this list. While I think an restructured/extended contract with a lower 2014 cap number is likely to be discussed, I don't see a scenario in which he does not return.

So, which of the players do you think are finishing their last season with the Rams?

(This is is a multiple choice poll - you can vote for as many as you like)

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Veteran Players Who Won't Return in 2014

Uyyyy, right now you just got me thinking. Tough to decide on these names!

**COMPUTER NEAR OVERLOAD**

ManofGod is offline Registered User

I'll take all the above for $500 Alex,
    But seriously, the only guys I'd bring back are Dunbar, Finnegan(if he'll restructure his deal and move to nickle), and Saffold.

Trevor is offline Registered User

I think everybody but Saffold won't be back, and thats if he agrees to continue to play a position other than LT.

Finnegan took a major step back. Dunbar wasn't the player he was last year. Dahl can be replaced by Saffold. Scott Wells is old. Kendall Langford wasn't the player he was when he was on the Dolphins.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I'd like to have Saffold back but that'll be completely up to him. Would also like Langford for depth if nothing else. Same with Dunbar at a reasonable price. Finnegan's best days are in the rear view, but if he agrees to take a considerable pay cut, he could be brought back only because he was a fisher guy. The only two I believe are gone under any circumstance are Dahl and Wells.

And yes, a Bradford restructure would be desirable.

Mikey is offline Registered User

Finnegan, too expensive and injured during his worst year as a pro.
    Dahl and Wells see above.
    Saffold, I think somebody gives him money and a chance to earn a starting tackle spot.

Also Bradford wouldn't likely just be a restructure there would be an extension with it. IMO we see how much Fisher wants Sam this off season. If he gets the restructure/extension then we know he believes in Sam.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Well its a dangerous thing for some of these vets to jump ship. Didn't turnout so well for Sjax in Atlanta; had he stayed in St. Louis, who knows, but one thing is certain the Rams wouldn't have waited till game 6 to discover a running game. And he is no spring chicken and the clock is ticking on his career. DA, well he is still young and having joined the Pats might have been a good move in the long run...its still a wait and see; still the Pats are always quick to pull the trigger on releasing a player and DA's injury proneness is a concern for them.

The real question is of these Rams vets, who will be invited to return and who would be shown the door...Finnegin might be thrown through the door. Where as Safford has value at least as a depth player, assuming the money the Rams are paying him is worth it; Saffold has durability issues and that is bad for a lineman to have--this year didn't help is marketability

Randart is offline Registered User

Of course we would love to go for more youth here in most cases, save Saffold as many have pointed out.
    The reality of this might be very different indeed as Coach Fish has shown a great amount of loyalty to 'his' vets in previous seasons. So to be honest they all maybe return, hopefully at reduced salaries! Our OL is such a mystery for next season, who do we sign, resign and draft??? Lots for us and our Mgt/Coach group to ponder. Oh and by the way I voted Dahl as he might get an offer to high for us to match.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I think Finnegan is done. I know he is one of Fishers boys but the bottom line is that it's time to move on. I would like to see us keep everyone else on the list.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I think Finnegan is done. I know he is one of Fishers boys but the bottom line is that it's time to move on. I would like to see us keep everyone else on the list.
    This is the one caveat that concerns me. Finnegan is one of Fisher's guys, and Fisher tends to be pretty stubborn. It's just too easy for me to foresee words like "Veteran presence...good player...fought injuries last year...mentor to younger players" getting dropped to justify not cutting him. He's being paid like a top tier CB, but he's played the last two years like a bottom tier CB. I just don't see any reason to keep him around, but I've got a bad feeling that Fisher will push hard to keep him.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I think Finnegan will be kept, although at a restructured salalry because not only is he a Jeff Fisher guy, he's the only veteran presence in a weak secondary. If he plays the nickel corner, he could still be of value and help the younger CB's and safety's when he's out there.

I think Dahl and Dunbar are gone. Dahl is a cap casualty and Dunbar is in a bad spot with a drug suspension looming plus he's a FA and his play has been adequate but not as good as last year. Plus we can upgrade at his spot in the draft for less $. I also think Jeff is still pissed at him for the drug suspension.

Go Rams!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MDE8352gorams View Post
    I think Finnegan will be kept, although at a restructured salary because not only is he a Jeff Fisher guy, he's the only veteran presence in a weak secondary. If he plays the nickel corner, he could still be of value and help the younger CB's and safety's when he's out there.

Go Rams!
    Yes, this is probably what will occur with Finnegan. I agree. Hopefully he will vindicate himself.

shower beers is offline Registered User

I went with Dahl, Saffold, and Dunbar.

Dahl will be a cap casualty, and he's more trouble on the field than he's worth. Saffold will find a suitor in need of a LT, and I anticipate Dunbar will be made expendable through the later rounds of the draft. It's too risky to rely on a player one strike away from a year long suspension.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaRamFan View Post
    This is the one caveat that concerns me. Finnegan is one of Fisher's guys, and Fisher tends to be pretty stubborn. It's just too easy for me to foresee words like "Veteran presence...good player...fought injuries last year...mentor to younger players" getting dropped to justify not cutting him. He's being paid like a top tier CB, but he's played the last two years like a bottom tier CB. I just don't see any reason to keep him around, but I've got a bad feeling that Fisher will push hard to keep him.
    The NFL is a cold-hearted business. No player will be kept strictly because he is liked by the coach. One must produce. If Jeff Fisher and the staff feels Cortland Finnegan has lost the ability necessary to play at a high level, he'll be gone.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I think I'm giong to go differently and say Langford and Saffold, but only if Saffold stays at Guard.

Langford has been very underrated at DT, has made some nice plays and is part of a good unit. Saffold is useful but I think has been a better player at Guard. But he may not want to play there.

Wells has been disappointing overall, and Dahl is getting old. If Dahl comes back cheap I'd take him though.

Dunbar i wouldn't pay big money for as he is a bit part player.

Finnegan I'd be happy to let him walk as he was not good this year at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast