Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Falconator Guest

    View from the opposing side: Notes on Rams/Falcons game.

    Rams running offense: well, in a word, it was "great"...Steven Jackson ran with reckless abandon and abused the Falcons defense. He also played really well in the passing game. Don't take too much comfort in this performance because the Falcons run defense has been LOUSY all year. Going into this game, the Falcons were giving up 4.9yards/rush. After today's game, it should be about 5.5yds/rush.

    Rams passing offense: it looked decent but not "great". Rams WRs did not get a lot of separation but made some good plays on the ball. Avery is very quick and was pretty open on the TD grab. Holt made a few good catches against our corner(Chris Houston). Houston plays sticky man-to-man but never looks back for the ball or he may have had at least one interception.

    Rams rush defense: well, this was the Rams "undoing" in this game. They started out well but the Falcons "gashed" the Rams in the second half especially. Rams were just plain "lucky" that the refs made a bad "fumble" call on Michael Turner - replay showed the knee was down. Falcons' Jerious Norwood also hurt the Rams. In first half, Rams held the Falcons run game in check.

    Rams pass defense: I was fairly impressed with your pass defense as it held up well today. Matt Ryan had a pretty awful day on the whole and he did not throw much from the pocket. You guys had an adequate pass rush but Falcons seemed to be able to get a play out of the passing game when they really needed it.


    On the whole, I gotta believe it was a great day for the St. Louis Rams. They played well which helps the coaches, players and fans - yet they still did not give up draft position.

    For my Falcons it was just an "ugly" survival win against a team we probably should have handled better than we did. Falcons have a way of playing down to their competition. I'm not saying that to insult the St. Louis Rams because I think for a 2-14 team you guys are actually much better than that. I don't see why from the way you played today that you could not have at least been closer to a .500 record.

    Falcons just have a tendency to play close games no matter who they play. The Falcons defense is defnitiely the "weak link" - specifically the run defense. I think you guys all saw it on display today. Falcons have tough match-up with the Cardinals passing game as we go to Arizona next week (Warner/Fitzgerald/Boldin) but I would rather face that than a really good running game. If our offense has a good day then we will have a chance. Matt Ryan has not played well for last three weeks and we need him to have big games to advance in playoffs....and when I say "big games", I just mean to be efficient with no turnovers and keep the chains moving.

    Anyway, congrats to you Rams fans.....I think you saw "hope" today from your team.
    Last edited by Falconator; -12-29-2008 at 01:35 AM.


  2. #2
    Falconator Guest

    Re: View from the opposing side: Notes on Rams/Falcons game.

    oh, and your offensive line played well........I thought so anyway.

  3. #3
    Nick_Weasel's Avatar
    Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    737
    Rep Power
    27

    Re: View from the opposing side: Notes on Rams/Falcons game.

    Quote Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
    Rams were just plain "lucky" that the refs made a bad "fumble" call on Michael Turner - replay showed the knee was down.
    That kind of got me mad when I was watching the game because the announcer either doesn't know what the rule regarding fumbles is or doesn't understand its implications, because it was far from clear that Turner was down. The ball does not have to be "out" by time his knee touches, it just has to be coming out. The announcer kept pointing out that we couldn't see the ball (and therefore it wasn't out of his hands) until after the knee was down, but that is irrelevant.

    I'm pretty sure that's why the ref didn't overturn the call - there was no visual evidence either way since none of the replays that I saw (or, presumably, that the ref saw) showed when Turner lost control, only when the ball was already out of his hands.

    I will say there's a good chance that in reality it wasn't a fumble, and if the ruling on the field had been that Turner was down before he fumbled, I'm almost positive that wouldn't have been overturned either. But I think it was a good call in that there was no evidence to support overturning the play as far as I'm concerned.

    Anyway, without getting into all the details, I thought the Rams played well overall and that's more important than the win at this point for us. We got #2 and can finally start looking forward to next season.

    Congrats on the win and best of luck in the playoffs. You're heading to ARI next week, hope Warner doesn't burn ya!

  4. #4
    Falconator Guest

    Re: View from the opposing side: Notes on Rams/Falcons game.

    thanks Nick Weasel......I was at the game and they showed it on the jumbotron several times in slow motion. I thought it was a bad call - Falcons have been burned on the replays so many times this year - and crucial ones. What I have noticed is the officials are not willing to overrule a bad call on the field most of the time if its even close but the replay supports overturning the call......oh well, in only one instance did the Falcons not overcome the "obviously bad" call - and yes, I still think it was a bad call - I saw it slowed down and stopped - and when the knee was on the ground - the ball was still secure......oh well, we won - no use crying about it.

  5. #5
    Azul e Oro is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    2,344
    Rep Power
    71

    Re: View from the opposing side: Notes on Rams/Falcons game.

    Congrats, Falconator.

    That WAS fun for us to have at least the taste of winning football for a moment or two today. You must have been squirming a bit,though. LOL.

    ps what was up with Ryan? Never seen him miss receivers like that. Goodness knows it wasn't anything that we did to him.

    Hope your guys came out healthy & best of luck in the playoffs.

  6. #6
    Mooselini's Avatar
    Mooselini is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    3,724
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: View from the opposing side: Notes on Rams/Falcons game.

    Congrats Falconator. I'm rooting for you guys in the postseason. Along with my friend's Colts team. Best of luck.

    I'm impressed with what we did today. Bulger still has young receivers, but they are still developing. I really hope this isn't Holt's last game as a Ram. He had a good day today, he needs to be in Horns.

    Good game today.

  7. #7
    Falconator Guest

    Re: View from the opposing side: Notes on Rams/Falcons game.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    Congrats Falconator. I'm rooting for you guys in the postseason. Along with my friend's Colts team. Best of luck.

    I'm impressed with what we did today. Bulger still has young receivers, but they are still developing. I really hope this isn't Holt's last game as a Ram. He had a good day today, he needs to be in Horns.

    Good game today.
    thanks Mooselini......I thought the Rams looked GREAT today overall - especially on offense. You guys have a few pieces.....a couple of good free agents and a good draft and you guys could be "in the mix" next year. Besides, the NFC West is garbage so just being mediocre can win the NFC West........I mean, how much better can the Cards really be than you guys......

    I'm concerned about the Falcons corners going up against Fitz/Boldin but other than that, the Cards don't have much to be afraid of. Of course Fitz/Boldin are great and Warner has played very well this year. But they have no running game - you guys could overtake them in 2009 with a good offseason and new coach.

  8. #8
    UtterBlitz's Avatar
    UtterBlitz is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,439
    Rep Power
    41

    Re: View from the opposing side: Notes on Rams/Falcons game.

    Quote Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
    thanks Mooselini......I thought the Rams looked GREAT today overall - especially on offense. You guys have a few pieces.....a couple of good free agents and a good draft and you guys could be "in the mix" next year. Besides, the NFC West is garbage so just being mediocre can win the NFC West........I mean, how much better can the Cards really be than you guys......

    I'm concerned about the Falcons corners going up against Fitz/Boldin but other than that, the Cards don't have much to be afraid of. Of course Fitz/Boldin are great and Warner has played very well this year. But they have no running game - you guys could overtake them in 2009 with a good offseason and new coach.
    This was one of our better games of the year which is nice to watch, but that does not mean that we are going to do better next year. We are in for a lot of change starting with the front office and going through the coaching staff and the players. It is hard to say who is going to be part of this team next year.

    Good luck in the playoffs, but I would not count Warner and the Cards out so quickly. The garbage NFC West still has something to play for.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  9. #9
    MoonJoe's Avatar
    MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Norco, CA
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,426
    Rep Power
    42

    Re: View from the opposing side: Notes on Rams/Falcons game.

    Falconator,

    Good luck in the playoffs and for your sake I hope the Falcons go all the way! You're a class act and a great addition to our board!

    Joe
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

    Jack Youngblood

  10. #10
    HornIt's Avatar
    HornIt is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    406
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: View from the opposing side: Notes on Rams/Falcons game.

    Chris Meyers said one of the Rams "veteran coaches" paid your rookie QB Ryan quite a compliment by calling him the best rookie QB he's ever seen including Marino.

    You've got a good one there. Looks like the whole Vick thing may have ended up working out in your favor after all.

    Enjoy the playoffs. Falcons will be fun to watch.

  11. #11
    Falconator Guest

    Re: View from the opposing side: Notes on Rams/Falcons game.

    Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz View Post
    This was one of our better games of the year which is nice to watch, but that does not mean that we are going to do better next year. We are in for a lot of change starting with the front office and going through the coaching staff and the players. It is hard to say who is going to be part of this team next year.

    Good luck in the playoffs, but I would not count Warner and the Cards out so quickly. The garbage NFC West still has something to play for.
    utterblitz,

    where in my post do you get that I am "counting the Cards" out? I'm not....I think with the Cards being at home that its a "50/50" proposition who wins next week between Falcons/Cards......

    I will be disappointed if Falcons lose to the Cardinals but at 11-5 this year, the Falcons are already playing with the "house money" if you know what I mean....

    I think a realistic wish for the Falcons at this point would be for them to beat the Cardinals and probably lose the next playoff game in the divisional round.

  12. #12
    supachump is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    san fran
    Age
    45
    Posts
    675
    Rep Power
    17

    Re: View from the opposing side: Notes on Rams/Falcons game.

    Quote Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
    thanks Nick Weasel......I was at the game and they showed it on the jumbotron several times in slow motion. I thought it was a bad call - Falcons have been burned on the replays so many times this year - and crucial ones. What I have noticed is the officials are not willing to overrule a bad call on the field most of the time if its even close but the replay supports overturning the call......oh well, in only one instance did the Falcons not overcome the "obviously bad" call - and yes, I still think it was a bad call - I saw it slowed down and stopped - and when the knee was on the ground - the ball was still secure......oh well, we won - no use crying about it.
    They played it over and over again on TV too. And it wasn't exactly clear. Not enough to overturn it. You couldn't see exactly if it was moving already or not. I think the ref in the booth did what he should of. Not done anything because there wasnt enough evidence.

  13. #13
    Falconator Guest

    Re: View from the opposing side: Notes on Rams/Falcons game.

    Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    Congrats, Falconator.

    That WAS fun for us to have at least the taste of winning football for a moment or two today. You must have been squirming a bit,though. LOL.

    ps what was up with Ryan? Never seen him miss receivers like that. Goodness knows it wasn't anything that we did to him.

    Hope your guys came out healthy & best of luck in the playoffs.
    Azul,

    Matt Ryan has had three bad games in a row.......I don't know, maybe he is hitting the "rookie wall" right now....if Falcons are to advance in the playoffs, Ryan can have no more bad games this year. You can win some regular season games when you don't get good play from your QB but its hard to win a playoff game without good QB play.

    And yes, I was sweating the outcome of the game today.....it was looking pretty bad for the home team for at least half of the 4th quarter. There at the end when we took the lead and the Saints took the lead over the Panthers I was on cloud nine. If Saints could have held the lead the Falcons would have gotten #2 seed, first round bye and a home playoff game - but dangit, John Casey kicked a field goal with :01 left for the Panthers to hold on and secure the #2 seed - oh well!

    Thanks for the best wishes in the playoffs.....

  14. #14
    Falconator Guest

    Re: View from the opposing side: Notes on Rams/Falcons game.

    Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe View Post
    Falconator,

    Good luck in the playoffs and for your sake I hope the Falcons go all the way! You're a class act and a great addition to our board!

    Joe
    thanks Moonjoe! I'm also a member of atlantafalcons.com which is the official Falcons website - but actually enjoy your guys website better! The only part of the Falcons website I like better is its more active (meaning more members with faster response times).

    But the quality and knowledge of the messageboard here at clanram is excellent. However, you cannot say "Clan" down here in the South - find that title somewhat amusing

  15. #15
    UtterBlitz's Avatar
    UtterBlitz is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,439
    Rep Power
    41

    Re: View from the opposing side: Notes on Rams/Falcons game.

    Quote Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
    utterblitz,

    where in my post do you get that I am "counting the Cards" out? I'm not....I think with the Cards being at home that its a "50/50" proposition who wins next week between Falcons/Cards......
    perhaps I am being a bit sensitive, but you did say "the NFC West is garbage so just being mediocre can win the NFC West......."

    I suppose that you were trying to be nice and supportive of the Rams by telling us that we are in a terrible division, but it sounds like you are disregarding the division and the Cardinals.

    The cards beat us 34-13 and 34-10 this year. They look pretty good. They may not have a great running game, but they sure can put points on the board.

    Quote Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
    I will be disappointed if Falcons lose to the Cardinals but at 11-5 this year, the Falcons are already playing with the "house money" if you know what I mean....

    I think a realistic wish for the Falcons at this point would be for them to beat the Cardinals and probably lose the next playoff game in the divisional round.
    You should never be realistic when making wishes. I would wish for the Falcons to win the SuperBowl if I were you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Post-game quotes
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: -12-01-2008, 01:58 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: -11-28-2007, 01:48 AM
  3. Postgame With Gordo: November 25
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -11-26-2007, 10:59 AM
  4. Coach / players--Sept. 20
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -09-21-2006, 03:56 PM
  5. Team Postion Rankings
    By RamsFan16 in forum NFL TALK
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: -06-07-2006, 09:07 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •