Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

View from planet Martz

By Jim Thomas
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    Monday, Dec. 20 2004

Rumors to the contrary, Rams coach Mike Martz has no plans to step down, and
    Rams president John Shaw said the team has no plans to shove him out the door,
    either.

"He's not in trouble," Shaw said in a telephone interview Monday night. "The
    team is struggling right now and having a hard time winning games. We have to
    work on getting it better."

Shaw said firing Martz has not been contemplated by the organization.

"It totally hasn't entered my mind," Shaw said. "His record speaks for itself.
    He has the complete support of (owner) Georgia (Frontiere) and myself at this
    point."

Martz is 51-32 in nearly five seasons with the club, including three playoff
    berths, two division titles and one Super Bowl appearance.

Earlier in the day, at his regular Monday afternoon news conference, Martz
    responded to media reports that he might resign if things didn't go well for
    him the rest of this season.

"No, I would never resign from this job," Martz said. "I love this job. I would
    never leave these guys. I wouldn't do that to this staff or these players. Like
    I've told you many times, I'm too connected to this group - to this team.
    There's no team that I would rather coach than this team regardless of the
    record.

"There's something special about these guys. We're building. We've got a real
    solid crew of young players, and it's going to eventually be a terrific
    football team. I'm not going to ever walk away from something like that."

As he has mentioned in the past, Martz said he's coaching because he wants to
    coach, not because he needs the money.

"I love being here," he said. "And that hasn't changed. We're going to forge
    on, and get this thing back up and running the way it should be. And that's how
    I look at it. I don't know any other way. That's just how I live my life. I'm
    one of those guys where the glass is always half full. Not empty. And
    sometimes, it's hard to look at it like that. But no. No. This guy's not going
    anywhere. No way, Jose."

When asked if he thought the team's last two games might factor into his job
    security, Martz said: "I don't know how to answer that. I guess you should
    probably answer that. I can't tell you that.

"I would assume that we're going to play as well as we possibly can these last
    two games. We know what our shortcomings are. We understand what needs to be
    done, and where we need to fix things and get better at."

That being said, the team's performance over the past two months has been just
    short of abysmal. After a 4-2 start, the Rams have lost six of their past eight
    games. Making matters worse, the team hasn't really been competitive in any of
    those six most recent losses.

Beginning with the shocking 31-14 loss to previously winless Miami on Oct. 24,
    the Rams have been outscored 34-14 in those six setbacks, with five of the six
    coming on the road. Most mind-boggling to Martz is the team's offensive
    ineptitude the past two games without injured quarterback Marc Bulger.

The Rams have scored only 14 points in their past two games with Chris Chandler
    as the starting quarterback. And seven of those points came from the defense -
    Leonard Little's 61-yard return of a recovered fumble against Arizona.

Sunday's 185 yards against the Big Red was the seventh-lowest offensive output
    for the Rams since their move to St. Louis in 1995.

Chandler's ineptitude, and the fact that the Rams were starting two
    inexperienced offensive linemen in Larry Turner and Blaine Saipaia, obviously
    had something to do with the offensive struggles. Nonetheless, the fact that
    the team had a season-low 10 rushing attempts against Arizona's 30th-ranked
    rushing defense remains baffling. As does the fact that first-round draft pick
    Steven Jackson, who's averaging 5 yards a carry, didn't play.

"Marshall (Faulk) stayed in the game for protection purposes," Martz said. "All
    the things that they were doing, I'm not sure that Steven would have been able
    to deal with. In fact, I know he wouldn't have been able to deal with some of
    the pickups that we were asking him to do."

It was a puzzling statement considering Martz said about a month ago that he
    had complete confidence in Jackson's blitz-pickup abilities.

Martz also repeated on Monday the startling admission that he didn't really
    know whether Jackson was in the game against Arizona.

"How can I know?" Martz asked. "How can I call plays and do all that stuff, and
    watch the defense? In the past, I'd say, 'Make sure that so-and-so is in
    there.' Or if Marshall came out, which he very uncharacteristically would, I
    see that. But I just don't concern myself with that.

"I (leave) that judgment to Marshall (Faulk) and to (running backs coach)
    Wilbert (Montgomery), and well I should. I trust both of them very much. And
    the judgment was that we needed Marshall in there for the protections.
    Obviously, he ran very well. And very tough."

Faulk gained 22 yards in 10 carries - an average of 2.2 yards a carry.

"Why Steven Jackson's an issue in not playing ... it kind of surprises me,"
    Martz said. "It takes me back a little bit."
    Last edited by RamWraith; -12-21-2004 at 09:27 AM.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Re: View from planet Martz

Martz haters and bashers.

Please take notes, he is here to stay at least one more year. There is no longer any need to call for the guys head. As much as you dislike him and his régime you will need to suck it up for one more year.

AugustaRamFan is offline Registered User

Just because he purportedly has some support, it does not mean he will be back next year.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Please try to distinguish between two categories:

1. Martz haters/bashers; and
    2. Former Martz supporters who have changed their mind and would prefer the Rams go in a new direction.

It is unfair and inaccurate to lump these two categories together.

If Martz, in fact, stays, I will accept it and throw my support behind him for another year. Right now, though, I would be happier to hear he was being replaced.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam

2. Former Martz supporters who have changed their mind and would prefer the Rams go in a new direction.

If Martz, in fact, stays, I will accept it and throw my support behind him for another year. Right now, though, I would be happier to hear he was being replaced.
    ...and this is exactly how some of us have felt in the whole Warnerites (Ram fans who did and continue to appreciate the accomplishments of Kurt Warner) vs. Uber-Warnerites (Did you know Kurt invented spandex, gravity & the question mark) discussion.

Which reminds me, we never did settle on a proper distinction between these two groups.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    ...and this is exactly how some of us have felt in the whole Warnerites (Ram fans who did and continue to appreciate the accomplishments of Kurt Warner) vs. Uber-Warnerites (Did you know Kurt invented spandex, gravity & the question mark) discussion.

Which reminds me, we never did settle on a proper distinction between these two groups.
    Oh dear heavens, what have I done?!?!

Disclaimer: this thread is not about Warner. I did not intend to move it in that direction. I was merely throwing out a comparison that some of us have been dealing with over the past few months with the statement that the new Avenger has taken regarding Martz.

I repeat --- this thread is not about Warner.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Well, pursuant to the Treaty (see post on NFL board from a few weeks ago), I no longer use the term "Warnerite."

That said, the real difference is that there are, in fact, true "Martz-haters" out there, but I don't know any Ram fan who hates Kurt Warner.

atcchris is offline Registered User

LOLOLOL

Hey dude.. what goes around COMES around..... just because a few of us are quick studies and can read the tea leaves faster than others doesn't mean you're any different than us.... as much as you might want to protest... at the end of the day you've come to the conclusion that Martz ain't the guy.

So... welcome to the club! Took ya long enough.. BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Well, well, well....my Christmas present came true. All you fans who wanted to lop of the King's head have to put up with Martzie at least one more year....

I'm smiling now after hearing the groans and sighs from the malcontents.....

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger
    Well, pursuant to the Treaty (see post on NFL board from a few weeks ago), I no longer use the term "Warnerite."
    Ah yes, forgot about the treaty, which is bad because I too signed the treaty. Well, fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by atcchris
    LOLOLOL

Hey dude.. what goes around COMES around..... just because a few of us are quick studies and can read the tea leaves faster than others doesn't mean you're any different than us.... as much as you might want to protest... at the end of the day you've come to the conclusion that Martz ain't the guy.

So... welcome to the club! Took ya long enough.. BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Believe me atc, I'd never want to be a member of any club that would have you as a member.

You are not a quick study. Your reasons for being a Martz-basher are almost entirely wrong. I on the other hand, have actually given it some thought and have come to my opinion after a careful analysis.

Truth is, nothing has changed. When I ultimately concluded that Warner should go (again, that was hardly a knee jerk reaction), I was labeled a Warner-hater. Now, when I have concluded that Martz should go, I'm labeled a Martz-hater.

Neither characterization is accurate, but some don't have the capacity to argue a point, so they resort to nonsense labels.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Well, well, well....my Christmas present came true. All you fans who wanted to lop of the King's head have to put up with Martzie at least one more year....

I'm smiling now after hearing the groans and sighs from the malcontents.....
    I won't groan or sigh if Martz stays. To the contrary, I'll throw my full support behind him and resume my optimism for his improvement. If it was my decision, he'd be gone. But its not, and I will support the team no matter who the head coach is.

atcchris is offline Registered User

Believe me atc, I'd never want to be a member of any club that would have you as a member.

You are not a quick study. Your reasons for being a Martz-basher are almost entirely wrong. I on the other hand, have actually given it some thought and have come to my opinion after a careful analysis.

Truth is, nothing has changed. When I ultimately concluded that Warner should go (again, that was hardly a knee jerk reaction), I was labeled a Warner-hater. Now, when I have concluded that Martz should go, I'm labeled a Martz-hater.

Neither characterization is accurate, but some don't have the capacity to argue a point, so they resort to nonsense labels.
    Methinks he doth protest too much... LOL

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Re: View from "Planet Martz"

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    As much as you dislike him and his régime ...
    For the record one last time, it is not sMartz and his regime I dislike. It's Georgia and her regime that I dislike. More specifically, it's Georgia and Shaw I dislike. Everything else is just kicking the dog after that.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Well, prior to the game, at a watering hole, ( packed with Ram fans), across the street from the stadium. I was talking to a gent who claimed to be a relative of someone in the front office. He said that some of the players are not very happy playing for Martz. After the lack of effort displayed on the field, I can see where that might be true. :upset:
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast