suhpr3me is offline Registered User

Vike's Farwell fined for hit on Fitz

Vikes' Farwell fined $7,500 for hit on Fitzpatrick
    By Len Pasquarelli
    ESPN.com
    Updated: August 17, 2007, 8:28 PM ET

Although he has not yet been notified in writing, Minnesota Vikings linebacker Heath Farwell has been fined $7,500 by the league for a hit on St. Louis Rams quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick in last Friday night's preseason opener.

A third-year veteran, Farwell plans to appeal the fine, which was first reported by the St. Paul (Minn.) Pioneer-Press and confirmed by the league.

Farwell, 25, was apparently sanctioned for hitting Fitzpatrick, who was knocked from the game by the blow, in the chest with the crown of his helmet. The Rams divulged this week that Fitzpatrick sustained a cracked rib on the play.

The play occurred with 2:41 remaining in the third quarter and St. Louis facing a second-and-13 from its own 30-yard line. A blitzing Farwell impacted Fitzpatrick as he threw a deep pass that was incomplete.

Farwell was flagged for roughing the passer on the play and drew a 15-yard penalty.

Battling for a roster spot, Farwell had a very strong outing in the preseason contest, leading Minnesota defenders with 10 tackles and adding a sack.

In two seasons, Farwell, a former San Diego State standout who signed with the Vikings as an undrafted college free agent in 2005, has 27 tackles. He has played primarily on special teams and has appeared in 23 games, including all 16 games in 2006.

prof22693 is offline Registered User

Re: Vike's Farwell fined for hit on Fitz

:x

Poor Fitz, that was a killer hit.

Keenum is offline Registered User

That was a big time hit, but I'd like to look at it some more before I'd fine the dude. QBs are WAY TOO OVERPROTECTED now. I was glad to read that the NFL will be "less strict" now on roughing the passer plays, like a head to head hit is no longer an automatic penalty. They are wearing pads like everyone else, they should be hit just as hard.
    And like that Eagles punter who got hammered last week, the NFL said it was a mistake for the penalty not to have been called. Bull. The punter is a FOOTBALL PLAYER, is wearing just as much protection, and it's his own fault if he is not looking for oncoming traffic.
    Just let the boys line up and play.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Wasn't really an illegal hit in my opinion, an uncessasary fine.
    RamsFan16

helorm341 is offline Registered User

Worth the penalty and the fine I'd say. The hit was really unnecessary, he could of tackled him with A LOT less.

Guys, just imagine if this was Bulger with the cracked rib and two bruised lungs, you guys would be pissed. I think some of you are too lenient, especially for a hit on OUR guy.
    Last edited by helorm341; -08-18-2007 at 04:59 AM.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Yeah I have to disagree with "too overprotected" label on quarterbacks. I think you have to take into consideration the style of some of these hits on quarterbacks. They are getting blindsided from behind, or nailed just as they throw the ball with no chance to truly protect themselves. This isn't two lineman, or a line backer and a DE same size facing each other. It is more of assault and battery really. I know the hit was borderline as far as timing, but your talking pre-season. As a coach am I really going to base my decision on a guy on whether he took a quarterback down or even better, sent him to the hospital? I would hope not. Also you have to remember these names;Young, Aikman, Miller. I personally never want to see a guy crippled over a stupid play in a football game, I mean accidents happen like Utley, but about that one guy who was nailed by the raider that just died. That was pre-season and the guy didn't catch the ball even. His price? Paralysis and an early death. Nice.......

mpire is offline Registered User

Guy had his head down, that was the only issue.

Do they still call it spearing?
    afaik that's a rule deisgned to protect the hitter as much as the hittee since he's taking the brunt of the hit by compressing the neck & spine.

blood85 is offline Registered User

The game is a "physical" game, where do we draw the line? I agree that you have to protect quarterbacks to "some" extent, but in the end, they should be fair game, just like anyone else who has the ball. Again, it's difficult to say HOW MUCH to protect the QB.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    Wasn't really an illegal hit in my opinion, an uncessasary fine.
    When you lead with your helmet that is illegal, and he lead with his helmet. Case closed.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE