Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    39thebeast is offline Registered User

Vikings Game what I got out of the starters

DEFENSE
    Defense better IMO. Could have a good year if HEALTHY

Young D-line Chris Long, Selvie, Scott, and Ryan looked good. Long looked really good against the run and also had a Sack he could breakout and be a great all around player. Hall/Selvie at RE will complement each other. Hall good against the run Selvie can get to the passer. Hall and Robbins did not play alot, but the vets will also give solid contribution

Starting LBs looked good especially Grant. Grant was excellent in coverage against the run and on special teams. Backups not so much especially Chamberlin who was exposed in coverage

Top four corners Bartell, Fletcher, King, and Murphy were injured. I don't think OJ played and if he did he didn't play alot starting SS Butler injured. Not surprising Rosenfells exploited undrafted rookie Thompson and seventh rounder Marquis Johnson. Dahl gave his usual solid play imo.

IMO when we get our secondary healthy our defense could be pretty good as long as they remain healthy. Our players in the secondary don't have major injuries so they should all be good to go week 1 with the exception of Butler where you don't loose a ton with Dahl playing FS.

Offense on the other hand Oooooo boy. I don't know how good our WRs are because the O-line was simply atrocious. Roger Saffold started Strong, but then had a few rookie Moments, but he wasn't nearly as bad as Jason Smith going up against he Vikings 4th DE. Hopefully Smith has his toe as an excuse because that level of play just wont cut it. AJ Feely was also a scrub getting 2 picks dropped and he was getting much better protection than Bradford. Thankfully there has to be some improvement when the Rams starting guards ( Bell and Goldberg/Grecco) ,Brown moves back yo center, and S-Jax comes back. I don't know anything about or TEs or Receivers.

Keenum is offline Registered User

Re: Vikings Game what I got out of the starters

I'm hoping that Smith still isn't 100%, because it didn't look good for him tonight. It's hard to tell a lot without all of the starters in, so hopefully we'll get some better looks in next weeks game. I really want to see Bradford spending some time with Jackson in the backfield and our DBs all in there on defense. The 1st unit was doing a nice job against the run, and if the starting DBs can play well the D may be alright this year. However it all goes to what you said... if they are HEALTHY.

The Rammer is offline Registered User

Murphy looked pretty good out there, I thought. Also, Kevin Payne looked fine. I'd rather not talk about the offensive line, especially the two young tackles who looked really bad.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I've only watched up to Sam's first completion. And it was pretty; 18yds to Laurent. I look forward to seeing that many times.

I agree that Smith looked very rusty. let's face it; he has hardly practiced since the OTAs under anything like game conditions.And the Vikes DE's were welcoming both OTs to the NFL pretty enthusiastically; on one play Saffold got his helmet ripped off by, I believe, Jared Allen. Interestingly, Saffold stymied him on the next play.Hopefully that's a good sign.
    Dreadful blocking for Ogby,imo, & he showed some quickness I thought. Feeley looked very shaky; staring down receivers & getting the ball out late. Should have been picked a couple times.

I agree that the D looked solid in front of the DBs who got burned like albinos in the sahara. Grant made some nice hits & Lau showed up here & there. Long looked good vs the run & got some QB pressure.. But the most encouraging stuff came from the interior DL,imo. Ryan & Scott both had nice plays vs the run & generated a little interior push here and there.

It was a shame about Amendola's fumble on the next punt but he sure looked fast on that TD run. So much for the "can't break the big one" label. Let's hope he doesn't trade it for a Hakim-like tendency to get over-eager & cough it up all the time now.

And I'm getting a little tired of Donnie Jones botching directional kicks. He's got that cannon but if the Rams get an offense, he won't have seventy yard margins for error.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

One certainly can't get nuts after one pre season game, but I'm disappointed to say the least. Allowing Sage Rosenfels to throw for 300 yards, giving up seven sacks and scoring a grand total of zero points offensively isn't the start I was looking for.

And not another year of "gee, if we only had so-and-so out there". The starters HAVE to stay healthy- it's that simple.

Of course we were 3-1 last pre season. We all know how much that helped us.

Action_Jackson is offline Registered User

You learn more in defeat than you do in victory.

Part of me is glad Bradford took a few hits. We now know he is not made of glass. It will also make him more determined to read defences and get the ball out sooner.

There were positives and we were without a lot of key players.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Action_Jackson View Post

There were positives and we were without a lot of key players.
    And they were also without many of their key players.

Drummerman1011 is offline Registered User

I think a key fact that people seem not to get is that we left that game healthy. Which is always a positive. This is why people should never take pre-season seriously.

THEFIELDGOAL is offline Registered User

Defensively we are going to be fine. I think that is our edge for the season. But the offensive line is the question marks. Will this line protect any quarterback. Forget who is in the pocket. It a question of protection and execution.
    So i think Bradford was decent and the sacks were a situatiion of a defense over powering the Offensive line and them not protecting.
    THE FIELD GOAL

Damned Ramz is offline Registered User

agree 100% with your learn more from a loss, hopefully everyone is more critical about themselves and know what they need to do do better for next time.
    hey two years ago the lions went 4-0 in the preseason, regular season record was 0-16, I know its a cliche but success in the preseason means nothing.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Thanks for the honest update. Living in Jersey I didn't get to see any of the game. Biggest concearn sounds like Smith. Hope we didn't make a mistake with this guy. It could really set us back even farther over the next few years.....

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THEFIELDGOAL View Post
    Defensively we are going to be fine. I think that is our edge for the season. But the offensive line is the question marks. Will this line protect any quarterback. Forget who is in the pocket. It a question of protection and execution.
    So i think Bradford was decent and the sacks were a situatiion of a defense over powering the Offensive line and them not protecting.
    The problem the defense is going to face, once again, is the inability to put pressure on the QB w/o blitzing. ...and our corners are not good enough to overcome that shortcoming. I think the enterior Dline is better, and run coverage will be improved, but pass D will be a problem.

Another problem the defense is going to face, once again, is that they'll be on the field too much because the offense can't sustain a drive. Like last year, the defense gets worn out and big plays happen. I expect it to happen again this year all too often. The Rams bad offense will hamper the defense.

I think the Rams LB corps is the deepest and best they've had in a while. But everywhere else on D the Rams are average at best, with very little depth. Any injuries and it will be a long season.

First preseason games in the NFL are about as meaningless as any game in sports. But some of the things I saw in the game (and I watched it all) were very disappointing. Different faces, but same old results. However, I understand that not having Jackson in the lineup makes a huge difference, and we'll get a better feel for the team when he makes an appearance. Defenses will attack the Rams a little differently with him in the lineup. Yesterday, they were just dialing up blitzes with the kid in there and going after him. The Rams clearly were not prepared for that, for whatever reason. They do that a few times with Jackson in there, and he breaks that first tackle, they'll think twice about that approach, which should give Bradford some time to make a throw.

The starters played "okay" for most of the first quarter. After that, not much to gt excited about.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

RebelYell is online now Registered User

I thought Selvie had a pretty darn good game. Even when he didn't get a sack, multiple times he made the QB hurry. His lack of straight line speed of evident in trying to keep up with a RB but he looked pretty good overall. I was impressed. He even fell back into pass coverage.

The single biggest upside (other than Selvie) was Grant. Guy was all over the place. Must have hands of stone (he was dropping them in practice also) but he did everything you'd hope for except finish off the interception. Hopefully, that can continue. He started the game.

The offensive line was horrific. The pass rush was beating Bradford back to his set position in the pocket it was so open. Bradford backpeddeled and got away nicely once but he didn't have a chance on multiple plays.

Feeley stared down every receiver. The DBs and LBers quickly learned that whoever he was looking at, just jump on them because nobody else is getting a look.

I was disappointed with the receivers not getting more open but this may have been the play calling. It was very vanilla which I'd like the Rams to be practicing the real stuff at game speed. They don't need to be hiding their real plays, they aren't good enough for that stuff.

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

1st game jitters for everyone. What i especially wasnt too thrilled about was the lack of seperation from the receivers. And why is it that Donnie Avery only had one reception? whats up with that? There were a couple of plays where Sammy was ready to fire but pulled back and decided to take off. This along with protection issues needs to be addressed. The reality is jax is not always gonna be there and all that stuff about a different game when he is just keeps getting old. If these pro receivers cant get open teams are always gonna stack the box and Bradford will continue to get leveled. Its time to move forward. The Rams new era of football just started last night.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

I think we were hurt TREMENDOUSLY by not having sjax in the backfield for the game. I mean we don't scare anyone with our backup running backs so it was easy pickens for the d line of the vikes. We will play better when all of our starters are in game and in mid season form. Gotta remember guys this is the first time they have played full on football against another team.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast