throwback week

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Vikings Game what I got out of the starters

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    And they were also without many of their key players.
    Exactly - Favre, Peterson, Rice, Harvin, and Shiancoe did not play. Probably a bit easier to stop Minnesota when nearly half of their starting offense - their most dynamic players, as well - aren't on the field.

On defense, Minnesota was missing Henderson, Pat Williams, and Cedric Griffin, but judging from the play by play, their defensive starters may have only played one series before being pulled (the Rams achieved one first down on that series before punting).

Simply put, it's the first preseason game of the year. No one should be shifting towards either side of the spectrum -positive or negative - based on the results of the game just because of the nature of the game itself. Loads of personnel missing, no real game-planning for the other team, vanilla schemes for the most part, etc etc.

I taped the NFLN replay of the game and plan on sitting down and watching it either tonight or tomorrow. But it's hard for me to get too excited or upset about anything at this point in time, just because of the context of these games.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

LA Rammer is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    On defense, Minnesota was missing Henderson, Pat Williams, and Cedric Griffin, but judging from the play by play, their defensive starters may have only played one series before being pulled (the Rams achieved one first down on that series before punting).
    Vikings backups on defense are about as good as many starters in the NFL. It was mentioned that it was going to be tough to cut some of these players knowing they can start on most teams in the NFL. The Viking are a Superbowl contender. We faced what is probably gong to be one of the best defenses in the NFL.

We are going to go from night to day when we see the Browns, just the shot needed to boost confidence.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Action_Jackson View Post
    You learn more in defeat than you do in victory.

Part of me is glad Bradford took a few hits. We now know he is not made of glass. It will also make him more determined to read defences and get the ball out sooner.

There were positives and we were without a lot of key players.

ya can't help but agree with you some. as a musician, sometimes a bad show can really highlight your problem areas. One of the very first things a bad show does though (or is caused by) is overload your mental processor. you slow down and become reactionary. its hard for me to really strut my stuff at a bad show, cuz my mind is on overload... amp is cutting in and out, can't hear vocals, band not tight, and on and on.....

dude, once a bad show starts, it is very hard to get your swagger back, because your mind is so busy dealing with all the stresses and rigors of your performance rather than building upon your performance and connecting with the crowd. i think thats what the Rams showed: their mental processors were maxed out so their performance was lackluster.

but its the 1st preseason game and thats exactly why you have them. so what do you do? you take positives out of everything you can. So as my old manager used to say: "this $*** is easy. find out where you suck, and stop the sucking!"

so i think they're thinking too much... just my opinion. but that is a step you have to reach and get thru before you can move on to the next stage where it starts coming naturally.

Unfortunately though, this is year #2 in this system. It should be fine tuning time... not, lets figure out the fundamentals of how to do this time. need to get past playing scared... get past the "am i making a mistake by doing it this way" to "I'm doing it this way!" all due to the rebuild, imo.

can't help but feel like the Rams should be perfecting the finer things than struggling in fundamental stuff, but i think the collapse was merely mental. Very easily fixed with playing time and reps, but time is running out fast.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12