RamWraith is offline Registered User

Vitt losing contol of the players?

From ProFootballWeekly:

Word is, Rams interim head coach Joe Vittís relentlessly blunt manner could be starting to wear a bit thin. We hear the Ramsí players werenít happy at all with the public tongue-lashing Vitt gave the O-line after the teamís loss to the Eagles and would have much preferred for Vitt to have addressed them privately.

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

Re: Vitt losing contol of the players?

Thats because they are getting the truth and sometimes the truth hurts! they are men now not babies still in diapers! making the money some of them make they need to be dealt with like a man!
    It's obvious that they can't be dealt with in private! they still aren't getting it done after what 4 or 5 years! Thats why i didn't care for MM as a coach! He's too soft and didn't discipline the players .His answer was either cut them or trade them if he had a disagreement with them!

I don't think a man needs to be screamed at but, you don't need to put on some kid gloves to get your point across either! Way to go Vitt! i support you!

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by talkstoangels61
    Thats because they are getting the truth and sometimes the truth hurts! they are men now not babies still in diapers! making the money some of them make they need to be dealt with like a man!
    It's obvious that they can't be dealt with in private! they still aren't getting it done after what 4 or 5 years! Thats why i didn't care for MM as a coach! He's too soft and didn't discipline the players .His answer was either cut them or trade them if he had a disagreement with them!

I don't think a man needs to be screamed at but, you don't need to put on some kid gloves to get your point across either! Way to go Vitt! i support you!
    Agreed. Maybe if he humilated them more in publich they'd show up and want show that there actually not that bad.
    RamsFan16

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I can't believe that this team has turned into a bunch of #@%^&*. Time to face the real world folks, if you can't cut it here's the door.

At work, the only time I hear from my superiors is when I've done something wrong. And it usually is discussed during meetings not in private.

So true, he's coddled these guys too much and this is the end result.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Although I like a coach that can tell the players they way it is. High-energy coaches are sometimes good for a few games to get their players motivated but it is hard for a player to respond to a high-energy coach all the time it can be draining. Coaches that are more even keel and on occasion high energy are more effective long term IMO. When you have an even keel coach that is not all-high energy and then he shows energy it really drives whatever point he wants home. I don’t think Vitt had much to work with this year and they were not playing any better this year under Martz. Vitt received a team that he had nothing to do with as far as assembling and basically he put the team in cruise control they did not get any better or worse IMO. He only had Bulger for a few games and the majority of the injuries we have had started after he took over. With all that said he is an okay fill in for a game or two but he is by no means HC material in the NFL.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

High-energy coaches are sometimes good for a few games to get their players motivated but it is hard for a player to respond to a high-energy coach all the time it can be draining.
    With Bill Cowher being the exception......on a sidenote, why does Cowher not get the respect he should?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel is offline Registered User

What the players think of vitt and what he thinks of them is 100% irrelevant to the future and everyone involved knows that. Thus, this sad marriage of an interim nature will be over in a few days and that will be that.

Like in politics, there is a reason why a Lame Duck rarely if ever works out for the best.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Blankman17 is offline Registered User

Ideally, as a coach, I feel, your position is to coach and to motivate. I was taught, as a young man in high school, that football is a very honest game. When I blocked like crap, I was informed as such, however, I was also shown the proper way to perform the actions wished of me.

As my career progressed, encouragement and praise was given when due and likewise, I was chastised and shown my mistakes. People who get paid 20,000 a year to do their jobs get criticized. I think people who get paid millions can hack it.

Milan is offline Registered User

Maybe if they played better, they wouldn't have gotten humiliated, to me that would be enough motivation to play better.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

what vitt said was fine with me , i thought he just picked the wrong game to do it,i know we failed on a big 4th down,but if i remember right we ran the ball pretty well that game.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Our OL really stinks. The more I watch tape the more apparent it is.

It's been a while since our OL could move anyone off the line, but they made up for it by moving well and pass blocking well. Those days are gone. We need 3 new starters on our OL AND Manumaleuna doesn't block as well as he should - consistently. Tony Gonzales has what 50 catches more a year than MANU and and weighs 50 pounds less YET Gonzales is a much better blocker.

MANU hasn't lived up to his potential.. You'd think he'd star in the running game since his air game is really non-existent.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Coach Vitt responded well when asked to take over as interim. Back then he also implied he would not 'want' the permanent job as HC.

Given the circumstances, I think he's done a good job. He probably would not last very long as a HC, whether with us or elsewhere and, yes, much of this is directly related to his hard-nose style.

Nonetheless, I think he's a good man and understands fairness too. It was an injured-riddled season for us and our players should just bite the bullet, be honest with themselves and mature.

...Move on to better days as Rams. :angryram:
    Last edited by RealRam; -12-29-2005 at 04:45 AM.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

I don't think Vitt can be judged as to whether or not he is Head Coach material based on this season. He was dropped into a situation, and did the best he could do. I'm not sure if any coach could have stepped into that spot and turned this team around.

I agree, it doesn't really matter because he will not be on this team come next year, and I don't think his debut has got any other teams interested in him. But he seems like the kind of guy that if you plugged him into a team like the Bears did with Lovie, he'd probably be very succussful.

But then again, if you plug me into a team with some talent, I could probably do OK. These Rams need more than a good coach to right this ship.