RamWraith is offline Registered User

Vitt on the Mike--Faulk a returner??

Interim Head Coach Joe Vitt

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

(Opening statement)

“I thought we came back today and practiced with great intent, enthusiasm. We were quick, focused. It was a good practice.”

(On bringing up TE Jerome Collins and DT Jeremy Calahan)

“All the moves that we’ve made, we think are going to give us the best chance to win our next football game. We brought some of the young kids up that have worked hard all year. They deserved a chance.”

(On CB Travis Fisher)

“We have three weeks left. We have to move on.”

(On where T Rex Tucker was today)

“Flu, he had it last week really bad. He had some relapses today, so we’re going to get him on some IVs and try to get him as healthy as we can.”

(On DE Leonard Little and T Orlando Pace)

“Orlando has a groin, he’ll be ready to go. We just rested that. Leonard has a knee and an ankle. We’re just resting that a little bit. They’ll both be ready to go.”

(On if Collins and Calahan will get playing time on Sunday)

“We’ll see how they practice. Those who practice the best are going to play.”

(On who will be returning kicks against Philadelphia)

“We worked three today, we worked Dane , A.C. and worked Marshall back there a little bit. We’ll sort that out by the end of the week. Marshall volunteered for that.”

(On if it will be the same for kickoffs)

“Same three, and Chris Johnson also.”

(On if Faulk has been pushing to return kicks for a while)

“No, not that I know of.”

(On if Faulk has ever returned kicks before)

“Yes.”

(On if it surprised him that Faulk wanted to return kicks)

“No, not with him. He wants to contribute.”

(On Eagles’ RB Ryan Moats)

“Quick, really quick. He’s a legitimate 4.48 guy. He gets to the perimeter quick. They attack your force, and if you miss a tackle, he’s gone. The good thing about it is, it’s a similar game plan to a week ago in the running game, where they’re going to test your force on the outside. We’ve made some adjustments, but it’s going to be a challenge.”

(On if this game is an indicator of what can happen to good teams in the NFL)

“Well, they’re still the NFC champs until somebody else takes their crown, and we are what we are right now, but that’s kind of the National Football League. Injuries played a big part, a lot of things take a big part. All you can do is try to prepare to win your next game.”

(On what he admires about WR Isaac Bruce)

“I have a meeting with the players in here in 15 minutes, really. Number one, the person he is, you can’t believe the type of person he is. Then, his practice habits, the way he competes, his quiet leadership, his durability, his dependability, his accountability, it’s all there. He’s a great player who is going to be a Hall of Fame candidate, and will get in. He truly is a better person than he is a player. I don’t know how you could put it into better words than that. He’s just special.”

(On Bruce saying he wants to keep playing)

“Why wouldn’t he? He’s playing his butt off. Let me tell you something, there is not a corner in the National Football League that he still doesn’t strike fear into. He’s playing a little dinged right now, and that’s a credit to him. He’s unbelievable.”

(On T Alex Barron practicing)

“He’s going. It’s a credit to him. He’s a young kid who was a little leery. He just had surgery. He had to get that thing punched a few times, and he did it, and he practiced his a** off today. Good for him.”

(On if he moves back into his starting spot)

“Absolutely, we have Jevon Kearse. It’s a challenge, and he’ll welcome that.”

QB Ryan Fitzpatrick

(On the Eagles’ having a tough defense)

“Yeah, that seems to be the case every week though. These guys are real aggressive. They’ll pressure a lot and we need to make some adjustments to the things they do on defense and go out and play ball.”

(On if it was tough for him to watch film this week)

“It happens. It’s over with. I learned a lot from the game. I’ll just kind of move on from there.”

(On if his confidence has been shaken at all)

“I felt comfortable during that game even though there were a lot of interceptions. I’m feeling more and more comfortable with every rep that I get every practice, every game. I still have a lot of confidence. I’ve talked to a lot of the guys. The guys come up to me. I think they still have a lot of confidence in me. Hopefully, we can go out and get it done this week.”

(On what he learned from the game)

“I think the biggest thing is just being in there and getting reps. There are certain throws that I could get away with in college that I maybe can’t get away with now. I’m not going to be able to thread the needle on certain things, because the guys are faster, more athletic. It’s just knowing my limits, knowing my boundaries and when I can and can’t make a throw.”

WR Isaac Bruce

(On what positive things he has seen from QB Ryan Fitzpatrick)

“Well, the way he stood in there. He honed up the way he played. When he first came in against Houston, I think he really stood up like a man and just shied away from all of the glory, or whatever, that was coming at him. I think he did a good job as far as the complete opposite with mental focus. He stood in the huddle. The guy wants to improve and he’s improving.”

(On how he feels he has played personally)

“I feel I have done great. I’m always enthusiastic about playing, and I have no limit to my playing ability. So I feel like I’m doing great.”

(On whether seeing the Eagles’ helmet will remind him of games like the 2001 NFC Championship)

“Well, just seeing the helmet, just seeing the guys, just seeing the defensive coordinator, just reminds you that you have to be on your P’s and Q’s when you’re playing against them. They are a well coached team, have great players, a lot of Pro Bowlers on defense, so you really have to open your eyes and accept this challenge.”

(On whether it is strange to be playing with three games left and no playoff possibilities)

“I have a lot to play for right now, and this team has a lot to play for, so we don’t look at it that way.”

(On what he and the team are playing for)

“Number one, a win on Sunday. We’re going out playing for that. And keeping everyone happy. And keeping the fans happy. So that’s why we’re going out there.”

(On whether getting to 1000 receptions is a long-term goal of his)

“2000.”

(On whether he is surprised that to be 5-8 with all of the talent on the team)

“Am I surprised? I am not surprised that talented players get injured. Like I said, it is a collision sport, things happen sometimes. You see it all around the league. This time of year the healthiest team is one of the better teams. Some teams that have had injuries throughout the entire season, they get most of their guys back and they may be playing well, but they may be out of the playoffs right now. It tends to go that way sometimes.”

CB Ron Bartell

(On how his ankle is feeling)

“It’s a little sore. It’s a lot better than it was Sunday, so that’s good. I’m going to go out and practice today and do what I can and go from there.”

(On if he’ll be able to play Sunday)

“Oh yeah, I’ll definitely be able to go. Like I said, it feels a lot better than it did Sunday. I’ll just go out, do what I can do today and be ready to play on Sunday.”

(On how he feels he is progressing since entering the league)

“I’m learning something new every week. I think I’ve gotten a lot better since I first got here. I’ve been able to hold my own against pretty much everybody. I just want to take these last three games and continue to improve, and build on something for next year for myself.”

(On if he would have enjoyed the challenge of facing Eagles’ WR Terrell Owens)

“I would love to go against him, but he’s not there, so I have to prepare for the guys that they have. It definitely would have been a good challenge for myself to go up against a guy like that. I don’t do too much talking on the field. It would have been exciting to go against him, but we have to go against the players they have, and they’re pretty good in their own right.”

TE Jerome Collins

(On if he was excited about moving up to the active roster)

“When I found out, I was jumping up and down. I couldn’t wait to get over here and start meeting with the tight ends coach to get a jump start on this weekend. So, I’m ready to go.”

(On if there is any pressure on him)

“If I put too much pressure on myself, I’m just going to set myself up for failure. I’m just going to go out there and have as much fun as I possibly can, and things will turn out the way I want them to.”

(On how far he feels he has come since mini-camp)

“I’ve come a long way, because in college, I only played tight end for one year. So, my skills as a tight end have drastically gone up over the course of the season. I’m still not where I need to be, but I still feel like I can contribute on the field right now.”

(On if he feels like this is an audition for the future)

“This is definitely an audition for next year and the years coming up, and if not here, then somewhere else to make sure that when they see me on the field, I can contribute.”

C Andy McCollum

(On Fitzpatrick)

“I think he knows what’s going on. It takes some time to learn what’s going on, and he’ll only get better. He’ll get quicker with the reads and know what to do, and he’s going to help us. I really believe that he’ll get better and better.”

(On how the game against Philadelphia is different this year than it has been in the past)

“It’s a different feel, because normally we’re fighting with them for a playoff spot or maybe home-field advantage or something like that, or we meet them in the playoffs the last several years. We’ve both been struggling this year, but I know that they are going to have the same approach that we do. It’s a game that they want to win just as badly as we want to win. We have to go out there and prepare like it’s just as important as any other game.”

(On how important it is to finish the season at .500)

“I think that’s the top goal that we can have right now. The position that we’re in is not where we want to be. It’s not where we expected to be, but it’s where we are, and that’s the high goal that we have set right now. It’s the best we can do at this point, so that’s absolutely what we’re striving for.”

(On the offensive line’s performance this season)

“Overall, I think we’re doing pretty well. Obviously, some games are better than others, and some guys are having spots here and there. We all have our mistakes, and we all have things that we can do better. Our objective is to take it upon ourselves to find those few plays that personally, I could have done a lot better on this play, or this play or this play and make sure we correct those as time goes on. We always have to keep getting better. One of the coaches said the other day, you’re either get better or get worse. You definitely want to be on the getting better side.”

DT Jeremy Calahan

(On when he heard that he had been moved to the active roster)

“Yesterday I was actually out hunting deer. I actually shot a doe. I had two missed calls from my agent, checked my voice mail, then called him back, didn’t get a hold of him, then he called me back to tell me. just excited, and had to call everybody, my family, to let them know.”

(On whether he was surprised when he heard)

“Very. Very surprised. I didn’t have any idea at all. I got a couple reps last week because Brian Howard was out with a concussion. I got a few reps with the defense, and that was the first time all year. That was nice, but I didn’t really expect anything. I’m very surprised.”

(On how much he has progressed since starting with the Rams)

“Very far. I started out just raw, not knowing anything. Coach Kollar has really changed the way I play and really taught me a lot. I’m nowhere near where I need to be, but I have made leaps and bounds. I feel like I’m a lot more comfortable, a lot more confident. I still have a long way to go, that’s for sure.”

LB Trev Faulk

(On how the team gets ready for a game now that the playoff hunt is over)

“The same as any other week, the goal on Sunday is the same if this was week one, or any other week of the season, and that is to go out and win a football game on Sunday. It doesn’t change anything.”

(On how exciting it has been being in a starting role the last two weeks)

“It’s been real exciting. It’s pretty much everyone’s goal to be a starter so I have been given an opportunity the last couple weeks. I’m just trying to run with it.”

(On how he feels he has played as a starter)

“I’m doing okay. One thing is, I’m just going to go out there and do my best and try to make plays whenever I am afforded the opportunity to try to put our team in a position to win. That’s basically all I am out there trying to do. I’m not trying to be Superman or anything like that, just trying to do my job and do it to the best of my ability.”

(On Philadelphia RB Ryan Moats)

“He’s really, really fast. I know that much. I know that he definitely can turn the corner on you in a hurry. He’s definitely going to be something that we definitely have to focus on. I believe he had only 11 carries for over 100 yards, with two touchdowns. He’s very impressive.”

DE Anthony Hargrove

(On Philadelphia’s offense and how injuries have affected it)

“They are still a solid team, a solid opponent. McMahon’s getting it done with his arm and with his legs. Overall, they are a good team.”

(On whether the team is playing to get to 8-Cool

“Yeah, definitely. You don’t want to end up losing. That’s our best, 8-8, so that’s what we’re shooting for.”

(On the Philadelphia offense)

“Their young running back is fast. They want to get him to the corner. He’s liable to break anything away. Offensive line, they have a lot of big physical guys upfront. They lost T.O., but they are still moving the ball on offense.”

Philadelphia Eagles Head Coach Andy Reed

Press Conference Call

(On how the fan reaction in Philadelphia has been this season)

“You know what, they have been great. They have showed up and have been into the game. After that Monday Night game, that was pretty embarrassing, and they showed up this past Sunday, and I thought they did a heck of a job.”

(On whether the 42-0 Monday Night Football loss is tougher than losing in overtime)

“You’d rather be in an overtime one than get skunked like that other one, so…”

(On how tough it is to coach when all playoff hopes are lost)

“You play the game because you love to play the game, and so you have three more opportunities to play. You don’t worry about the things you can’t control. You’re out of the playoffs; there is nothing you can do about it. You put your energy into the next opponent and that’s the Rams.”

(On whether this has been his toughest season as a head coach)

“I don’t think there are any tougher than my first year, so I wouldn’t say that. That first year was quite a ride. But, obviously you don’t want to be in this position right now, but that’s where we’re at and we have to play our best football now.”

(On whether he believes that the losing team in the Super Bowl is destined to fail)

“I don’t, but I can’t prove it.”

(On RB Ryan Moats)

“He has good quickness and speed, and has a knack for running the football, plays very fast and hard. He’s a good runner. He’s doing what he did in college. I mean, he was a great player in college and he’s just transferring that over to this level.”

(On RB Lamar Gordon)

“I know you guys are familiar with Lamar and know what kind of person he is. He’s a good solid guy, and brings that to the team. And then he’s a tough runner. gives us a little bit bigger body in there.”

(On whether a team can put a season and off-field distractions behind them and just move on for the future)

“It’s funny to say this about anything, but you have to learn from it, from the bad things, try not to let it happen again, and move on.”

(On signing P Sean Landeta and how is playing)

“Well, I brought a lot of young guys in and tried them out, and figured Sean might not kick it the furthest, like he used to, but I at least know its going to be the same depth every time, so there’s some merit to that.”

(On whether he has spoken to Head Coach Mike Martz while he has been away for medical reasons)

“I did. It was back a month or so ago, and he seemed to be doing well. Those kinds of things open your eyes and make you realize some things. Mike’s the kind of guy that wants to get back and compete, but in this case he has to listen to those doctors. It’s a little different situation when they start talking about your life. He still loves the game though.”

(On how Philadelphia defensive coordinator Jim Johnson would fare as an NFL head coach)

“I think he’d be a good one. He’s a good football coach. He’d be good.”

(On QB Mike McMahon’s injury status after having a rough game last Sunday)

“Mike, he’ll practice toady. He was sore, and felt a little bit better yesterday and then felt better today. So he has a banged up body right now, but that’s what happen when you play that position. So he’s just getting used to it, and he’s going to move on with it.”

(On what challenges he expects from the Rams’ offense and QB Ryan Fitzpatrick)

“I was a big fan of his coming out of Harvard. I thought he was a heck of a player, and what a great kid, and smart. He’ll learn fast. He’ll study and do all the things you have to do to be a good quarterback, and he has the tools. It’s just a matter of time and going through the process here.”

Philadelphia Eagles S Brian Dawkins

(On how things are going in Philadelphia)

“Cold, brutally cold.”

(On the Philadelphia Eagles’ fans)

“From what I saw this past Sunday, they were out there supporting us. They were out there cheering us on, and trying to help us pull out a victory. They’re disappointed, just as we are, but they’re more boisterous than more fans around the nation.”

(On what was tougher for the team to handle, the injuries or off-field distractions)

“The losses, if we had all those things and were still winning, then everything would be fine. The losses are the things that have been most frustrating.”

(On how different this season has been for the Eagles)

“I’m pretty sure it’s a complete shock for most of the young guys here, and the guys who have only known one thing, and that’s going to the playoffs and going to the championship games. You guys have to remember, this is my 10th year. I’ve been down this road before. I’ve seen us struggle through a season or two of picking ourselves back up and getting into the hunt down the road. This is new, with the fact that it hasn’t happened in a couple of years, but it’s not because of the fact that I’ve been through this before.”

(On if he believes there is a Super Bowl hangover for the losing team)

“No, not at all, because this hasn’t been a hangover of any sense. We’ve had a lot of things that have gone on this year that have attributed to what we’re going through right now. Whether it’s distractions, or whether it’s the multitude of guys that we have on injured/reserve right now, the guys we were counting on this season and having a lot of guys play right now. So, there are a lot of things that have attributed to this season.”

(On how the team approaches the final three games)

“You approach it because there is only one way that we have been playing ball around here for as long as I can remember, and that’s how we’re going to continue to do it. You get that across by the way you practice and the way you prepare. My preparation has not changed from what it has been in the past as far as getting to the ball and busting my hump every play trying to make a play in practice. My film study has not decreased because we are not in the playoff hunt. We’re not even thinking about that. We’re just trying to win and get a couple games in a row here, so we can have a great taste going into the offseason for next year.”

(On how some of the younger players on the Philadelphia defense are doing)

“They’re having their spots both ways. They’re making some good plays for us, and at the same time, they’re making the young mistakes that they are going to make at times and not understand the complete defense. That’s something to expect out of any position, not just defense, offensively also. We have some young guys that have stepped up and made some plays for us, but they have also made their rookie mistakes, their young-guy mistakes. Those are the things that you have to live with with young guys, but at the same time, that’s going to help us. Those guys will be counted on to step up a little more probably next year, not as soon, but they’ll be battle-tested from this year.”

(On how Eagles’ Head Coach Andy Reid has handled this season)

“He’s been the same. He’s been even-keel. There has been no panic in his voice. He steps up in front of us and tells us what we need to know to get ready for the next game. That’s how he’s always been since he’s been here.”

(On if their 42-0 loss and their overtime loss feel any different)

“A loss is a loss, but you definitely don’t want the 42-0. To me, that’s more embarrassing than any other loss. When you lose a game 23-26, at least you gave yourself a chance to win at the end, but when you lose 42-0, then no, there’s nothing to come close to that.”

(On if he can believe that Eagles’ P Sean Landeta continues to punt)

“He knows what he’s doing. He knows how to take care of his body. He’s been doing it for so long. He’s a regular in the ice-tub making sure his legs stay as fresh as possible, and he knows how to put the ball where it needs to be, so why not?”

(On what it’s like not to have Eagles’ QB Donovan McNabb’s leadership)

“It’s tough not to have the guy that those guys definitely depend on for leadership on the field. I’m sure it’s been tough for them, but at the same time, we have guys that have happened to step up. It’s forced some guys to kind of get out of their comfort zones and say some things, and if need be go make some plays, and that happened this past weekend. Those are the things that we can build on. We want to win first and foremost, but when you see those types of things, guys stepping up and making plays where plays need to be made or saying things where things need to be said on the offensive side of the ball. That’s a huge plus for you.”

(On how the Eagles are preparing for QB Ryan Fitzpatrick)

“First of all, for us, we will all play. There won’t be anybody sitting out this game. So, we’ll all have a chance to play this whole game. As far as preparation, you prepare for an offense. You do what you can to get to the young guy. You know he’s probably going to make some mistakes, and you try to take advantage of those things. You prepare for this offense and what this offense brings. It’s a shifting offense. They throw a lot of simple outs. They have some quality guys at the wide receiver position, at the running back position, so they have some playmakers that can hurt you if you try to take them for granted. This is by no means a team that you can take for granted, because of record, and we kind of fall in that same boat.”

RamsFan16 Guest

Re: Vitt on the Mike--Faulk a returner??

That would be good. Get him some playing time and contribution. Who knows if he does good maybe he could stay next year and then return some more.

RamJackson39 Guest

He isnt starting, I see nothing wrong with using him somewhere else. He can make an impact anytime he touches the football, and we need that in the return game.

talkstoangels61 Guest

Thank you Marshall!..........

CanadianRam! Guest

is faulk fast enough/ has enough moves to become a return man?

Rip32 Guest

This just shows you how much he must hate standing on the sidelines looking at holes that he could of run through that jackson is not doing right now

talkstoangels61 Guest

Oh yes and can make you miss still!

bruce_wannabe Guest

damn i love isaac bruce..

STLRAMSFAN Guest

I am so glad they saved Marshall for the mop up duty after the season has finally gone down the toilet to find a way to get him on the field more. He should be nice in fresh as long as the hotdog vendor has not got him nice and fat from setting on the sideline munching on some grub.