AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Vitt is not the answer

I know what some of you are thinking...

This again?

Actually, no.

Previously, I only cautioned that the media and fans were prematurely presuming that Vitt could be the long term answer at head coach. I never said that he could not be, only that the jury was still out.

Well, the jury's now in as far as I'm concerned, and the verdict is - NO!!!!!

Joe Vitt has some nice qualities, but he does not seem to have the leadership skills needed to be a head coach. This is evident in the fact that coaches are feuding, players are (reportedly) criticizing other players, and the team has played two games in a row with seemingly no discernable game plan. The Rams are a rudderless ship under Vitt, and that just won't do.

Not that anyone should be surprised. Joe Vitt has had a long successful career as an assistant coach, but has never taken on a true leadership role. Do you think that's by chance? No... typically the people who are qualified for a leadership role are the same ones who seek it out. Joe Vitt has never done so and now, it appears, with good reason.

Again, I don't want to say the guy is worthless. He has a role, and may have done it well, as an assistant.

But he is not the answer at Head Coach.

I find it hard to believe that anyone would disagree with this now.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Vitt is not the answer

I find it hard to believe that anyone would disagree with this now.
    Come now, AV, you know better than that. Someone WILL disagree.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Here is my opinion on Vitt that I posted in another thread.

I don’t think Vitt is the long term answer I think this team is in cruise control with Vitt I don’t think they will get better or worse under Vitt this year. I do think they would probably get worse long term under Vitt. But what coach could take over this team and get them to improve their sorry Asses. The coach that assembled this team tried last year and again for 5 games this year to get them to improve and they are worse this year then they were last year.

Bottom line Vitt don’t look like the long term answer and no matter what coach you put in there they would have a hard time coaching these sorry asses and putting up with the FO and coaches that they did not chose for their staff.

The coach next year is going to have to make some changes in coaches and personel.

general counsel is offline Registered User

When the players dont come out and play with any spirit or high energy in a huge game at home, that means to me that they werent properly motivated by the coach. In fact, whenever you lose to a team that is inferior, especially at home, the coach bears responsibility. Either the coach didnt motivate the players or prepare them properly, or, what is even worse, maybe the players just arent responding to the coach.

The loss to seattle ended the division race. It was a letdown for sure, but it was up to vitt to have the team ready to play and psyched for a run at the wild card. that clearly did not happen.

Fairchilds play calling was an abomination. Just horrible. I really think the coaches let us down this weekand while i respect vitt, i dont think he is the answer either.

Meanwhile, i dont care if we dig up vince lombardi and knute rockne, if we dont get better players on defense we are not going to win anything.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Leadership is kinda a mute point right now. Everyone in the organization knows that Vitt is the interim head coach. A true leadership tag does not exist under interim.

If there are motivational problems with these players then the Rams are in deep trouble. They have a lot of young guys. If the idea of performing at a high level, to earn a roster spot under a possible new coach, is not motivation enough, then they are not worth keeping around. Most of them aren't worth keeping around anyways, but that is beside the point.

If Martz returns he will probably give these guys an escape clause due to his absence. A new coach will simply look at it as a poor excuse and look to get rid of them as soon as possible.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

This is the term I never have been able to grasp when it comes to professional athletes. Motivation.

I swear, if I was banking what most of these guys are by playing a sport, that would be my motivation.

general counsel is offline Registered User

The Grass is always greener. For too many of these guys, football is just a job.

Tough thing to face as fans, we care more about winning and losing than most of the players. They are paid the same whether they win or they dont.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    The Grass is always greener. For too many of these guys, football is just a job.

Tough thing to face as fans, we care more about winning and losing than most of the players. They are paid the same whether they win or they dont.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    That is why you need a guy like Jimmy Johnson to instill fear into these players.

You will perform and be self-motivated or fall into the unemployment line.

The first thing a coach should say to a player is:

"I hope you got your "sheepskin" to fall back on, because there are no guarantees on my team"

LaRamsFanLongTime Guest

When the players dont come out and play with any spirit or high energy in a huge game at home, that means to me that they werent properly motivated by the coach.
    This has looked the case in many big games for the Rams since you know who took over. Vitt is just a Martz employee. He is not a head coach and never should be again after this season.

I would love to see a smash mouth defensive minded coach get in here. This offense has the tools to score regardless. Whether it is running or passing they will get it in the end zone. Look what bringing in Dungy did for the Colts. He was defensive guy that put that teams defence together. They are now a great defence and have finally put the puzzle pieces together.

The only thing is how long will it take to rebuild this defence and how much of the big offensive players will still be here?

The time is now for the change and we all know it even the ones that try to fight it.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LaRamsFanLongTime
    Look what bringing in Dungy did for the Colts. He was defensive guy that put that teams defence together. They are now a great defence and have finally put the puzzle pieces together.
    The Colts are not a great defense. The Rams torched the Colts D before Bulger went down, the Bengals also torched that so called great D. They have improved but are nowhere near great.

A perfect example of a great D this year is the Chicago Bears.

Back on topic, no Vitt isnt the answer, and Marmie is a waste of skin.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Some of the excuses made for Jared Cook are laughable.

LaRamsFanLongTime Guest

The Colts are not a great defense.
    Great was a little strong. Look at the teams that put up the points on the Colts. The Rams and the Bengals probably 2 of the best offences in the NFL. That defence has put the hurt on many a team.

They are ranked 8th total defence in the league. Give the Rams that and what do you think they could do?

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

With the absolute train wreck Joe Vitt was thrown in front of, he never had a chance. It was just a matter of time before the whole thing imploded, and there isn't a coach on earth who could have stopped it.

To judge Joe Vitt by the three ring circus that is the St. Louis Rams, is just a bit unfair IMO.

Rams13 Guest

I'm surprised that anyone thought Vitt might be the possible answer to begin with. To me he was only the interim coach, I never saw him as the permanent replacement of Martz.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rams13
    I'm surprised that anyone thought Vitt might be the possible answer to begin with. To me he was only the interim coach, I never saw him as the permanent replacement of Martz.
    Way to call it after the fact. I think anyone that said he could or could not without evaluating him first is not being sensible. I agree I donít think he is our answer but that is based on what I have seen and not my first wild assumptions.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    To judge Joe Vitt by the three ring circus that is the St. Louis Rams, is just a bit unfair IMO.
    Perhaps, but consider he had a lot of momentum with this team going into the bye week, and the Rams have laid two huge eggs since. They've played uninspired football with poor mechanics and stupid mistakes. The loss against Seattle was disappointing, but clearly Seattle is a better team, so it's somewhat understandable. But the loss at home against Arizona was not just disappointing but embarassing.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!