Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

Re: Vote for Steven Jackson in the 2010 Pro Bowl!

Quote Originally Posted by RamOfDenmark View Post
    Do you really think he deserves to go to the Pro Bowl?

0 TD's in 7 games = Pro Bowl?

He's got really good yardage, he fights hard and the players around him are some of the very worst in the league. But still - I'm never going to vote for a RB with 0 TD's to go to the Pro Bowl no matter which team he is on or how hard he tries.

I don't like the way the Pro Bowl is a popularity contest, seemingly more and more so (last year they showed the stats next to the players when you're voting this year only the names - that's not exactly going to help make it less of a popularity contest). And I'm going to do my part to stop that by voting for someone who deserves to go more than Steven Jackson.

Adrian Peterson & DeAngelo Williams are my two top choices for NFC, the third currently is a toss-up between several players so I think I'll wait until later in the season to cast my vote when the picture is more clear. Steven Jackson could even grab that vote but he'll have to start hitting the paydirt before that happens.
    Dude, how can you not vote for the guy? He has great morale on such a horrible team. Aside from the fact he's the number two rusher in the NFL, he is a great leader. TD's don't mean anything! I do agree that the pro bowl is nothing more than a popularity contest now a days, but Jaxx is well worthy. he is probably one of the most determined players in the NFL. If it wasn't for all those red zone turnovers from our man Marc and a couple from Daniel Fells, he would have at least 5 TD's. I can't count how many times we have been down in the red zone, especially against the vikings, when we should have just handed the ball to Jaxx and let him go to work. instead we give the ball to guy's like Boller and Fells who end up turning it over. Don't get me wrong, I am a big Fells fan, but the guy has been fumbilitis in the red zone.

Bottom line, Jaxx is top 3 running back in the NFL and NEEDS to be in the pro bowl.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmedrams81 View Post
    Dude, how can you not vote for the guy? He has great morale on such a horrible team. Aside from the fact he's the number two rusher in the NFL, he is a great leader. TD's don't mean anything!

Bottom line, Jaxx is top 3 running back in the NFL and NEEDS to be in the pro bowl.
    I might end up voting for him. All I said was after 7 weeks I felt Adrian Peterson & DeAngelo Williams were the only 2 clear choices in the NFC - the 3rd spot in my opinion was up for grabs among several players (Jackson included).

Michael Turner has 230 yards less but 7 more TDs - in one less game, 7 vs. 8, to boot. You have to consider him as well in my opinion.

That's the current situation as I see it: Adrian Peterson, DeAngelo Williams, Steven Jackson & Michael Turner are in a 4-way battle for the 3 spots for the NFC. Let's see how it turns out the other half of the season.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Why the fascination with nothing but stats? Shouldn't you use your judgment rather than simply looking at the box score to see who the best players are?

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

I might end up voting for him. All I said was after 7 weeks I felt Adrian Peterson & DeAngelo Williams were the only 2 clear choices in the NFC - the 3rd spot in my opinion was up for grabs among several players (Jackson included).

Michael Turner has 230 yards less but 7 more TDs - in one less game, 7 vs. 8, to boot. You have to consider him as well in my opinion.

That's the current situation as I see it: Adrian Peterson, DeAngelo Williams, Steven Jackson & Michael Turner are in a 4-way battle for the 3 spots for the NFC. Let's see how it turns out the other half of the season.
    Michael Turner is on a 1000 times better team. If Steven Jackson wa son the falcons he would have at least 850 yards by now and no less than 6 TD's.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    Why the fascination with nothing but stats? Shouldn't you use your judgment rather than simply looking at the box score to see who the best players are?
    Who would you like to add to the list of NFC Pro Bowl candidates apart from the 4 already mentioned?

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Who would you like to add to the list of NFC Pro Bowl candidates apart from the 4 already mentioned?
    I was referring to your argument that S Jax is a marginal pro-bowler, which seemed to be based solely on his stats up to this point. Or more specifically, on one stat in particular, the number of TDs. Stats are great to support an argument, but they aren't the end all and be all of player evaluation.

Incidentally, football outsiders list Steven Jackson as the runner with the highest DYAR (defense-adjusted yards above replacement). For those who don't know, football outsiders is a site that number-crunches the stats in an attempt to isolate the contribution of each player to a team's performance. In layman's terms, DYAR is the value of a player based solely on his stats, as adjusted to account for the quality of the defense they're playing, the offensive line they're running behind, etc.

Here is what they say regarding S Jax

One thing that really drew my attention this week after I had run all the stats was the identity of the new leader in DYAR: Steven Jackson. That's right, the guy with only one touchdown. After Ronnie Brown's awful performance against the Jets, Jackson now ranks as the most valuable runner of the year.
    My point is that I don't think you can look at only statistics. But even on the basis of statistics alone, he still looks like a pro-bowler.

schut39 is offline Registered User

Keep voting for him guys! After that game against the Saints, that makes him an even more likely candidate to reach the Pro Bowl as long as you guys keep voting. I'll try to bump this thread each week so we can get more and more votes. Thanks!

Just bumping the thread again. There was an article on ESPN that says Jackson is currently 5th in the NFC. So far the top 5 is Adrian Peterson, Michael Turner, DeAngelo Williams, Frank Gore, and Steven Jackson. Most of us can agree that Steven Jackson's effort deserves a spot in the pro bowl so keep voting guys.

Bump again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12