Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RockinRam is offline Registered User

For vs. Against Drafting Bradford Articles

Found this on BleacherReport. The second article written by Meily is a response to Hughes' article.

Meily makes some solid points in why we chose a QB instead of Suh.

By Lewis Hughes

I know the NFL draft is well and gone and now everyone is looking forward to training camp. But I wanted to put this idea out there:
    Did St Louis do the wrong thing by drafting Sam Bardford?
    Let's take a trip back to the 2006 NFL Draft.
    The Houston Texans had the No. 1 pick in the 2006 draft.
    However, they shocked the NFL world when, rather than taking Heisman Trophy winner and two-time national champion Reggie Bush or hometown hero Vince Young, the Texans selected defensive tackle Mario Williams with the No. 1 pick.
    Needless to say, The Texans were the laughingstock of the League.
    Yet four years on, it's now the Texans laughing at everyone else.
    Whilst Reggie Bush has by no means been a draft bust, he has yet to fully live up to his potential and last season was locked in a position battle with Pierre Thomas.
    Mario Williams, however, has been a revelation.
    In his four years in the league, Williams has been named to the Pro Bowl twice, been an Pro Bowl alternate one year, and has racked up over 200 tackles and nearly 40 sacks.
    Did I mention Reggie Bush has yet to go to the Pro Bowl?
    In hindsight, this has been one of the best moves in the Texans' eight-year franchise history.
    But what does this have to do with St Louis?
    Last season the Rams were easily the worst team in the league, slumping to a miserable 1-15 record.
    Yet the Rams were given some consolation by the fact they were given the No. 1 pick in the 2010 NFL Draft.
    NFL fans everywhere, whether casual or hardcore, had the Rams taking Sam Bradford with the No. 1 pick, and that is just what the Rams did. Why wouldn't they?
    Bradford holds the NCAA record for most touchdown passes by a freshman with 36. Bradford has also won a long list of awards, including a Heisman Trophy and a Davey O'Brien award.
    Yet Bradford has gone down with a shoulder injury and despite a successful operation, his shoulder has raised concerns as to whether he will succumb to injury once again or if his shoulder will change the way the passes the football.
    Also, you look at the last No. 1 quarterback picks, Alex Smith and JaMarcus Russell, who both have flopped. The writing appears to be on the wall for Bradford.
    Taken at the No. 2 pick by the Detroit Lions was Ndamukong Suh.
    Suh is the best defensive prospect since one Mario Williams.
    Suh has also won a number of accolades, including a College Player of the Year Award and a Lomabrdi Award.
    Why did the Rams take Bradford and not Suh?
    Former Rams quarterback Marc Bulger had been finally given up on, despite the fact he had possibly the worst offensive line in the NFL and a terrible defense to match.
    Yet Bulger's number aren't terrible—62 percent completion rate, 122 TDs thrown, and a 84.4 passer rating.
    Despite this, the Rams have given up on Bulger and turned to Bradford.
    Yet with the same offensive line and wide receivers, surely Bradford will do no better than Bulger.
    And with a defense that gave up 27.2 points a game last year (ranked 31st in the league), it seems Bradford will have no more joy than Bulger did with the Rams.
    Everybody knows defense wins championships, and with the No. 1 pick it's a mystery why the Rams didn't pick up Suh.
    If anything, Suh would have tightened the defence up with his excellent skills against the run.
    And with a tighter defence the Rams (even with Bulger) may have won a few more games than they will with Bradford.
    Remember, neither Bradford or Suh have played a game at NFL level yet but if their College stats are anything to go by they both will experience some success in the NFL (even if it is with different teams)
    By taking Suh over No. 1 pick favourite Bradford, the Rams may have had some of the success the Texans have had since making that difficult decision back in 2006.
    Was drafting Bradford over Suh a mistake?
    In my opinion yes, but only time will tell.
    Your thoughts please.
    By Rick Meily

Bulger was awful. Old, perpetually hurt, no pocket presence. Rams' line wasnt THAT bad- they were just protecting for quarterbacks with absolutely no mobility. Besides, Bradford might not play this season.
    People say "Quarterbacks always bust", but that isn't true. In the past seventeen years, 22 quarterbacks have been drafted top 5.
    9 were busts- Jamarcus Russell, Alex Smith, David Carr, Tim Couch, Ryan Leaf, Rick Mirer, Joey Harrington, Akili Smith, and Heath Schuler.
    But you have 11 that weren't busts- Eli Manning, Carson Palmer, Michael Vick (who was one of the most intimidating players to play for years until he got into dogfighting), Peyton Manning, Drew Bledsoe, Donovan McNabb, Matt Ryan, Vince Young, Steve McNair, and Phillip Rivers.
    Then you have Matt Stafford and Mark Sanchez. It's hard to say with them at this point, but both look good to me. Number one picks? Well you have four busts- Russell, Smith, Carr, and Couch. And you have five non-busts- Eli, Palmer, Vick, Peyton, and Bledsoe. Sure it's risky, but what about defensive tackle? That's the safe pick, right?
    Wrong. Defensive tackles drafted in the top 5 in the past 17 years? You have one non bust- Dan Wilkinson. Then you have four busts- Darrell Russell, Gerard Warren, Dewayne Roberston, and Glenn Dorsey. Doesn't sound like the "safe" pick to me.
    And does defense really win championships anymore? The two teams in the Super Bowl last year had the two best OFFENSES, with the two best quarterbacks.
    Is it a coincidence that the quarterbacks of the two teams in the Super Bowl were also the starters in the Pro Bowl? Is it a coincidence that the league MVP was a quarterback who made the Super Bowl? Is it a coincidence that the teams of the Pro Bowl 2nd stringer quarterbacks (Vikings and Chargers) were also the #2 seeds in their conferences? Is it a coincidence that all five NFC Pro Bowl quarterbacks (Brees, Favre, Rodgers, McNabb, and Romo) made the playoffs?
    You need a quarterback to be successful in today's NFL. I hope that's a given. But hey, why not take one in the second round, so you can take the top player in the draft and still get a quarterback? Right?
    Wrong. Other than Brett Favre and Drew Brees, who were both taken with the top pick in the second round, who's the best 2nd round QB in the league? Chad Henne? Kevin Kolb? Tarvaris Jackson? 2nd round quarterbacks have a ridiculously high bust rate. I don't feel like going into all of the ones that busted, though.
    And beyond that? Well, Tom Brady, Tony Romo, and Kurt Warner were absolute miracles. Tell me, who's the best quarterback other than the three of them taken in the 6th round or later? Almost every late round/undrafted quarterback never amounts to anything.
    Let's just look at the QBs in the playoffs. Other than Favre, Brees, Brady, Romo, and Warner, guess what? ALL of them were first rounders. McNabb, Rodgers, Manning, Rivers, Palmer, Flacco, and Sanchez.
    And how about the best non-playoff quarterbacks? Eli, Roethlisberger, Young, Ryan, were the best non-playoff QBs, and all first rounders. The only GOOD non-playoff QB that WASN'T a first rounder was Schaub. Are you beginning to notice how many of the good QBs in the league were first rounders? If you're in position to take a franchise quarterback, you have to do it. And the best place to do that is in the first round, with the number one pick. You can't "wait till next year". What if Locker has a terrible senior year? What if Luck doesn't declare?
    Finally, how many games is a defensive tackle going to win you? Let's look at Suh's best game, vs. Texas. Big 12 Championship. The game that made him a top 3 pick. Well, he absolutely raped Texas' line. But Nebraska still didn't win. Because they didn't have an offense.
    Last edited by RockinRam; -07-03-2010 at 04:43 PM.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Re: For vs. Against Drafting Bradford Articles

Man the response was terrific. A little harsh on Bulger but a great response. For the record I was never that impressed with Bush. So I didnt blame the Texans for passing on him. Maybe just maybe the Texans were just smarter than the media. This team had to move on and although I didnt think Bulger was finished I do understand that releasing him and drafting Bradford was the way to go. You cant sit around and wait just like the guy said. Also this is a 50/50 guess about guys being busts or not. Could Bradford be a bust sure. Could he be a superstar sure. What I dont want to see is the told you so crowd if he is or isnt. In the words of Brian Billick "the draft is an absolute crapshoot".
    Just Fix It

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

To Lewis: We don't have neither the same offensive line nor the same receivers as last year. Defense AND Offense wins championships, one could argue strong offense is more important actually. Our defense is and was in better shape than our offense on paper and if anything we needed a penetrator more than another guy who is strong against the run.

I can consider a pro-Suh stance, but when I look at our team with and without both players, a Suh addition just doesn't compare to a Bradford addition imho..especially with the number one pick..

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

By today's NFL standards, Bulger was not old. Nor was he awful. Bulger was a victim of circumstances. One thing most of us can agree on is that he was one tough little booger.
    I was pro-Suh. I thought Bradford was a mistake. But I was not the one who made the choices, nor do I know all the ins-and-outs of the team and its needs. I could see the uphill battle Bulger would have had if he stayed one more year, since many fans no longer thought he was the QB we needed, and since the O-line seemed to forget that he wasn't a scrambler. I was really hoping we could have gotten Suh with the #1 pick, then done some mad trades to get Bradford later in the first. (I'm still not sold on him being a first round value.) I was hoping Marc could stick around to mentor Bradford, since Marc DOES have the skills, he just can't get it done anymore. Kind of like having Ali as a boxing coach - he might not be able to fight anymore, but he could sure teach you a heck of a lot.
    I have a feeling that Feely is going to get smacked around a lot over the first few games, maybe even hard enough to sideline him. I hope like heck that Spags doesn't put Bradford in if this happens. Bradford is fairly used to having a decent O-line in front of him, and hasn't seen real NFL football before. If Null goes in as Feely's backup, then we won't have to worry about Bradford getting hurt. Whether me and the others like it or not, Bradford is the future of the Rams for the time being. He needs to be protected, meaning he has to have a SOLID O-line out front. With the recent history of our Rams, this may not happen....but if it does, it will likely take 6-8 weeks for them to mesh. Bradford needs to SEE the games up close. He needs to see what works, and what doesn't, not just from Feely, but from our opponent's QB's, also. He needs to assess the strong parts of the O-line, and find the weaknesses. This means he should be a clipboard holder for 6-8 weeks at least, preferably longer. He needs to establish a rapport with his teammates. He needs to earn their respect, even if he's just riding the pine. This might happen between now and week one, but will likely take much longer. He needs to work with the WR's, the RB's, the coaches. He has a LOT of work to do BEFORE he hits the field. He's about to find out that college wasn't so hard after all.
    As for the articles, I'll say this: What does it really matter now? Either we screwed up or we didn't. Only time will tell...not speculation.
    Last edited by RamsFanSam; -07-03-2010 at 07:11 PM.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Since when was Mario Williams a Defensive Tackle?

Editorial Fail.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

you don't gain respect by holding a clip board and being told how valuable you are. You don't sit quarterback that long if he's ready before then, which he definitely will and is expected to be. Of course you don't want guys to get injured, but injuries are a part of the game and the only way to ensure he doesn't get injured is by never playing him.

At one point in the distant past i wanted Suh because i didn't know what Bradford and his shoulder was looking like. Once the rehab was deemed succesful and by all indications his shoulder came out stronger...Suh wasn't even in the cards for me. I have serious concerns over what Suh's ability will translate to. I don't see him as the penetrator type and think he will simply be a great run defender defensive tackle with 5-6 sacks/year. His shelf life, franchise importance, and position did not dictate a first overall pick, especially with Keith Null and AJ Feeley as our immediate future at qb.

Greatly glad we chose Bradford and can't imagine not having the guy right now.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Neither of those write-ups appear to present particularly strong cases and both could be countered on a number of points. For instance, the first article improperly identifies Mario Williams as a DT, and then proceeds to point to Alex Smith and JaMarcus Russell as reasons not to take a QB first overall, as if none of them have worked out. The second article apparently dismisses the "defense wins championships" mantra based on only one post-season championship game, which is about as logical as saying you shouldn't draft a QB first overall based on one of them busting. He then contends that DT's don't win you games, and I'm sure there are a number of historical teams that would line up to disagree with the idea that an interior defensive lineman can't greatly contribute to a team's success. Ultimately, the Rams chose Bradford, and only time will tell if he becomes a star, if he busts, or falls somewhere in between. I do agree with Rammiser, though, as I hope that, whatever happens, the end result isn't an endless "I told you so" from one camp towards the other. Though I preferred Suh, I'd love nothing more than for Bradford to prove me wrong.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

rxb97 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post
    . Bradford is fairly used to having a decent O-line in front of him, and hasn't seen real NFL football before. This means he should be a clipboard holder for 6-8 weeks at least, preferably longer. He has a LOT of work to do BEFORE he hits the field. He's about to find out that college wasn't so hard after all.

I've watched OU football for over 40 years, and this is one of the best QBs Ive seen on the field, when Minnesota drafted AD I was checking out their fan board and I was telling people what Minnesota was getting and so many jumped on me saying this was the pros and AD would need to ride pine behind Chester Taylor who was coming off a great year, needless to say AD tore it up...Now AD was a man amongst boys here at OU but he was nowhere near the talent that Sam shows and that is saying a lot because AD was the REAL DEAL, but Sam is also. and I completely understand the different positions as far as a RB coming in to the NFL should excel quicker...so I really dont expect Sam to shine like AD right out of the gate. But if I was a NFL owner and was starting a NFL team and they said you can have either SAM or Adrian to build your Team around it would be SAM without hesitation the kid has got skillz, brains and humility....but all these NFL teams thinking that players coming out of schools like Florida USC OU UT....have no clue as to the speed of NFL, or haven't seen talent like that in the NFL ....are just wrong
    Now I understand any NFL team will obliterate OU florida or the likes...but starting as frosh thru senior on one of these teams means You were a STUD in the Nation especially at the level Sam excelled at....once he gets up to speed with your team he will put all the doubters to rest and you'll be looking at playoffs and championships and this might be the last 1st round top tier draft pick you see in a very long while Good luck to the Rams and their fans
    And I do understand People wanting Suh he was a beast and a great aquisition, but I think you guys did the right thing

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

Bradford has one thing over Suh at this point and its the biggest in my opinion. He has a Rams jersey with his name on it. Suh, well Suh is a Lion. We can't pick Suh unless the lions drop or trade him so why are we wasting time here.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

So the moral of the story is draft a DE & take 3-4 years to get a winning record? And it's not as if Mario has really helped solve Houston's biggest problem which is beating Indy; the Texans are, I believe, 1-15 vs Peyton's gang . Would Suh be any more of a force against, say, The Cards ?

Sure, Bradford or any QB is a risk at #1 & maybe Clausen will become this year's Schaub. Spilled milk.

This guy sounds like a fantasy leaguer who views success in terms of personal stats only.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    So the moral of the story is draft a DE & take 3-4 years to get a winning record?
    Or is it draft a QB (Carr) and take eight years to get a winning record?

I think the moral of the story should be that you shouldn't really put too much emphasis on the draft history of a position when trying to make your decision in the here and now. Base the decision on how you view the players you are able to choose from.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

khdude is offline Registered User

This is coming from a victim of the Alex Smith Draft.

Bradfort might eventually be successful, but don't put it all on him to raise the team's fortunes, we did that with Smith, ouch, Bradfort needs to be trained and put in a relaxed situation, while the FO concentrates on putting a team around him for a couple of years., ( you guys already have quite a few pieces already)

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rxb97 View Post
    I've watched OU football for over 40 years, and this is one of the best QBs Ive seen on the field, when Minnesota drafted AD I was checking out their fan board and I was telling people what Minnesota was getting and so many jumped on me saying this was the pros and AD would need to ride pine behind Chester Taylor who was coming off a great year, needless to say AD tore it up...Now AD was a man amongst boys here at OU but he was nowhere near the talent that Sam shows and that is saying a lot because AD was the REAL DEAL, but Sam is also. and I completely understand the different positions as far as a RB coming in to the NFL should excel quicker...so I really dont expect Sam to shine like AD right out of the gate. But if I was a NFL owner and was starting a NFL team and they said you can have either SAM or Adrian to build your Team around it would be SAM without hesitation the kid has got skillz, brains and humility....but all these NFL teams thinking that players coming out of schools like Florida USC OU UT....have no clue as to the speed of NFL, or haven't seen talent like that in the NFL ....are just wrong
    Now I understand any NFL team will obliterate OU florida or the likes...but starting as frosh thru senior on one of these teams means You were a STUD in the Nation especially at the level Sam excelled at....once he gets up to speed with your team he will put all the doubters to rest and you'll be looking at playoffs and championships and this might be the last 1st round top tier draft pick you see in a very long while Good luck to the Rams and their fans
    And I do understand People wanting Suh he was a beast and a great aquisition, but I think you guys did the right thing
    I have been watching the sooners for years also and this is the best QB ever to come out of there. I was on the feild watching him last yaer against Baylor and is this kid percise. I thought Suh at first also , but later thought, Besides Ray Lewis, Who the hell builds a team around a defensive player. And honestly I'm not sure the Ravens really new what they got.Bradford will be the man to build around in STL. We will be praising him for years .......I Hope......Ah, we will!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Or is it draft a QB (Carr) and take eight years to get a winning record?

I think the moral of the story should be that you shouldn't really put too much emphasis on the draft history of a position when trying to make your decision in the here and now. Base the decision on how you view the players you are able to choose from.
    LOL.... and the 8 year plot really fails to thicken if you botch building your offensive line/run game repeatedly with lower draft picks and castoffs (Pitts, Salaam, Dayne, et al) ,which,imo, doomed Carr more than any inherent weakness in the player that could have been discerned pre-draft.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

I am one that wanted Suh as well, but now that Bradford is here , sniff, sniff, "he's my quarterback." And to say he's going to be a bust, sniff sniff, "is unfair." – TO

At any rate, I like what we are doing. Spags has done a lot to show this franchise wants to win. Isn't this something to take into consideration; If he was the defensive mastermind that was responsible for denying the patsys an undefeated championship, why would we question him for not picking up arguably the best defensive player coming out of college for years? He obviously feels strong about what he has now and the potential for years to come.

Another thing, let's forget about Bulger. He is gone and the Warner/Bulger saga is laid to rest. Now we have the future of this franchise before us with plenty to look forward to.

“No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God.”
    —Luke 9:62, NIV
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast