Results 1 to 3 of 3
Wagoner: Monday Afternoon (3/6/06)
Monday, March 6, 2006
- The start of free agency has been pushed back again, leaving the players' union and the owners more time to find a common ground on a collective bargaining agreement. It seems that things are headed in that direction for an amicable agreement that will not cost the league any valuable time and should prevent a lockout or a strike. The players and owners seem to have a deal close, now it might just be up to the owners to come to a consensus of their own on the proposal.
- Of course, nobody wants to see Isaac Bruce in a different uniform next season. The way it stands now, clearly he is free to pursue other opportunities. But, there is a legitimate, genuine desire on both sides to get something done and keep Bruce in St. Louis. It's not the easiest way to get it done, but with the cap room they have now and the potential cap room they will have should there be a new CBA agreement, the Rams will have ample opportunity to get it done. I believe that neither side is to blame in this case. President Jay Zygmunt has done a terrific job of keeping the Rams out of the salary cap "hell" that some teams are currently dealing with. Sometimes, difficult decisions have to be made in that vein. Negotiations are ongoing and here's hoping that something can be worked out that will allow No. 80 to finish his career in St. Louis.
- For those intrigued by the possibility of Bruce going to Detroit to reunite with Mike Martz, while it's a possibility, it isn't near a slam dunk. The Lions have spent plenty of money on young receivers in the draft and though they need a veteran influence, Bruce wants to win and that might not be the ideal situation to get it done.
- Make no mistake, Isaac Bruce can still play at a high level. His injury problems with the turf toe had nothing to do with age. He is the same age as Marvin Harrison. He still is one of the finest route runners in the game and his yards per catch are showing no signs of rapid decline. Bruce can still play.
- Also, Bruce's value to the team goes far beyond what he does in terms of statistics. As coach Scott Linehan said at the combine, you just can't replace veteran leadership such as what Bruce brings to the table. What he has done in the community and for the Rams' locker room can't be replaced.Yet another reason, I believe the Rams will do everything they can to keep him.
- The delay of the start of free agency is good in that it should set the league up for awhile assuming a collective bargaining agreement gets done, but it's also maddening because it should be an interesting offseason as far as the Rams are concerned. Who will be coming in? What kinds of players will defensive coordinator Jim Haslett be looking to add? These questions won't be answered until it all begins. Here's hoping that an agreement will be worked out and Thursday will start the NFL's new year.
- The Rams do have interest in former Dallas defensive tackle La'Roi Glover. Glover is expected in St. Louis, perhaps as early as today for a free agent visit. The Cowboys released Glover late last week even though he made a Pro Bowl appearance for his work in 2005. He also has a history with Haslett and has the potential to be another of those core, veteran leaders that Linehan speaks about. Since he was released, Glover is free to sign with any team at any time, much like the Rams did with Dexter Coakley last season. That's not to say a contract agreement is in the offing, but if the sides want there to be one, there could be.
- One cool note from the world of Major League Baseball...Boston Red Sox first baseman J.T. Snow will wear No. 84 this season in honor of his father Jack, who recently passed away. The entire Snow family is one big class act and it will be neat to see J.T. paying homage to Jack this season. It wouldn't surprise me if No. 84 had his best season in the big leagues.
Re: Wagoner: Monday Afternoon (3/6/06)
Remember Jack Snow. Respectfully...
Re: Wagoner: Monday Afternoon (3/6/06)Originally Posted by NickOriginally Posted by ramsbruce