throwback week

View Poll Results: Is it time for the Rams to move on from Sam Bradford?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the Rams need a new QB of the future.

43 97.73%
  • No, Bradford can still lead this team in 2015.

1 2.27%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Wagoner: Rams must begin planning for future at QB

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Wagoner: Rams must begin planning for future at QB

Rams must begin planning for future at QB
    August, 24, 2014
    By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- What was once again thought to be a make-or-break season for St. Louis Rams quarterback Sam Bradford broke Sunday, two weeks before it even started.

With news coming from ESPN NFL analyst Chris Mortensen that Bradford will miss the 2014 season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee, the Rams will almost certainly turn to veteran Shaun Hill to replace him. In Hill, they have an in-house replacement they believe to be an upgrade over Kellen Clemens, the quarterback who replaced Bradford last year.

But Hill is 34 and what was already an uncertain picture at the game's most important position just became a lot fuzzier. Bradford is scheduled to count $17,610,000 against this year's salary cap. His number for next year is a daunting $16,580,000. And he's headed for his second left knee surgery in less than a year.

Forgetting the Rams' inability to reach the playoffs or even post a winning record under Bradford's guidance for a moment, the harsh reality is that there's no longer any debate about whether Bradford should be the team's quarterback of the future. Once this season ends, Bradford will have missed 25 consecutive games over two seasons.

In a five-year career, Bradford will have missed 31 of a possible 80 games, and that doesn't include time playing with a high ankle sprain in 2011. Whether or not you believe Bradford was the right man for the job is beside the point. He's now got a long enough history of serious injury that he can't be considered the team's quarterback of the future.

Simply put, it's time for the Rams to move on. And more to the point, it's fair to wonder whether they should have already had the succession plan in place.

This isn't a second guess, this is revisiting a relevant conversation that came up repeatedly around the NFL draft. Even as rumors of the team's interest in Johnny Manziel swirled, Rams coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead remained steadfast in their belief in Bradford.

With picks at Nos. 2 and 13 in the first round, the Rams could have drafted any quarterback they wanted with the second pick and all but Blake Bortles with the 13th selection. Although it appeared the Rams never really considered grabbing a signal-caller with either of those picks, there were those who would have liked to see them do it, especially considering the bonus pick the team had from Washington.

The Rams eventually spent a lowly sixth-round pick on developmental prospect Garrett Gilbert -- who is nowhere close to being an NFL starter -- despite multiple hints that they'd spend at least a Day 2 pick on a quarterback.

Taking it a step further, it was also fair to wonder whether the Rams should have more strongly considered a quarterback at the top of the draft because they might never draft in such lofty territory again. In Fisher's 18 full seasons as a head coach, his teams have had seven or more wins 15 times. He's had one season each with four, five and six wins.

In other words, Fisher's teams almost always find a way to a baseline of mediocrity that doesn't yield many opportunities to draft franchise quarterbacks. The average first-round draft position of Fisher's teams, not including picks gained in trade, is 17.9.

On the two occasions his Tennessee teams picked in the top three, they drafted a quarterback both times, one being the home run that was Steve McNair, the other being the whiff that was Vince Young.

Such is life when betting your franchise's future on a young quarterback. It's a bet the Rams weren't prepared to make again while waiting to see if the one they made on Bradford in 2010 would pay off.

But because they didn't, the Rams now find themselves in the unenviable position of having to place their next bet with far less valuable chips.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

timsum1283 is offline Registered User

Re: Wagoner: Rams must begin planning for future at QB

I can't imagine the team doing anything else but move on. The real question is who it will be.
    RockinRam likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Voted New QB for the Future -- a future that is already underway with the renewed injury of Bradford, like the initial break-free moment of an avalanche of problems for the Rams at offense.

What could have been in 2014 for SB and the current receivers! We'll never know.

The Rams now find themselves in the unenviable position of having to place their next bet with far less valuable chips.

general counsel is offline Registered User

One of the biggest problems i have with the second guessing is that it assumes that fisher and snead felt that there was a franchise quality qb at the top of the draft. Picking the "best guy available" is not really planning for the future if you dont think the best guy available is a franchise caliber guy. We simply dont know either way. In addition, there was an awful lot of pressure to win now and fisher and snead believed that they were ready to do so. I applaud the fact that they went out and got a quality backup in hill, a guy who in my view is better than clemens (although even that i am not sure of since they didnt sign hill until clemens left, not sure how hard they did or didnt try to keep him).

Said another way, if a top qb had been available, houston would have taken him at #1. If another guy the rams loved had been available at 2, they might have taken him, or they might have traded back with a team that wanted clowney or that qb and gotten more picks.

In any event, hindsight is 20-20 and i dont think the fact that sammy got hurt means that coach and snead did the wrong thing in the draft.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Failure to protect the QB can and often does lead to devastating consequences.

Now had they taken two OL in the first round (as I wished for).....who knows. One thing is certain, Jake Long was not ready to go.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

I think the article was well written in regard to Sam's performance history. A great person indeed, but never really went above average. Too bad we paid so much for his services.
    macrammer and PARamfan like this.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Rambos is offline Registered User

Taking it a step further, it was also fair to wonder whether the Rams should have more strongly considered a quarterback at the top of the draft because they might never draft in such lofty territory again.
    Things have changed now that the CBA has made moving up in the draft a lot easier. The cost to do so is now draft capital not cap space capital. Heck it was just two drafts ago we went from a mid range draft pick to eight to take Tavon so it not going to be impossible to move up and get a QB in the future.
    Randart likes this.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Things have changed now that the CBA has made moving up in the draft a lot easier. The cost to do so is now draft capital not cap space capital. Heck it was just two drafts ago we went from a mid range draft pick to eight to take Tavon so it not going to be impossible to move up and get a QB in the future.
    That's true, though they'll have to give up additional draft capital to make that move. Wagoner's secondary point seemed to be that they already had that capital with two picks in the first round, though frankly I personally wouldn't have been pleased to see them take a QB at either pick #2 or #13.

I think the better discussion isn't one about hindsight of what could have been done in the past but rather what could be done in the future. Barring some unexpected releases, the free agency crop isn't looking that grand: Alex Smith, Christian Ponder, Ryan Mallett, Michael Vick, Mark Sanchez, Blaine Gabbert, and Jake Locker highlight the list. Locker is the only name I'd be intrigued by in terms of a guy worth bringing in to compete.

If it's not a free agent, then you're looking to the draft. If the Rams aren't picking in the top ten, then I wouldn't expect them to have a shot at Mariota, Winston, or Hundley, but then again some people thought at one point there would be three QBs taken in the top ten of this class as well and that didn't happen. So I guess you never know.
    MauiRam likes this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Horns View Post
    Failure to protect the QB can and often does lead to devastating consequences.

Now had they taken two OL in the first round (as I wished for).....who knows. One thing is certain, Jake Long was not ready to go.
    I disagree, it's not like the guy beat Long and came crashing into Sam's knee in a violent manner; it was minimal contact. For some reason or another Bradford is just injury prone, and I think the Rams front office is starting to realize that they need to go in another direction
    Fortuninerhater likes this.

lostsoul is offline Registered User

I honestly don't believe there were any starting quality QBs in this draft besides perhaps Bridgewater.
    Next years draft, in my opinion, will have between 2 and 5 guys capable of being quality starters in the league.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Great article, and I especially like how he places some blame on the front office for not having a contingency plan ready in case Sam went down again. With numerous draft picks the past couple years, the Rams had plenty of oppurtunities to draft a good, young QB to either replace Sam in case of injury or to use as trade bait. Instead they chose to stand pat and put all their eggs in the Bradford basket, and that turned out to be a huge mistake. Look at teams like the Patriots and Hawks for example; though they have great starters in place they still use mid round draft picks to draft talented, young QB's to groom. Heck, Seattle even traded a draft pick for Terrelle Pryor even though he'd be the 3rd QB on their depth chart. I like Gilbert, but I don't see him as anything more than a career back-up.

The guy beat Long, and in fact he beat him twice on the drive, getting sammy hit twice. The method on which he hit bradford on the play in question, violent or otherwise, was 100% related to the fact that he beat the left tackle that is supposed to protect the blind side of the qb. Injuries happen when qb's get hit. Its often not the big highlight reel hit that causes injuries. The bottom line is that if Long doesnt get beat, the injury doesnt happen. The goal of the offensive line is to prevent the qb from being hit because every time he gets hit, you are at risk, and a hit in and around the knee is the biggest risk of all.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick, you make the statement that if its not a free agent (and i agree the class looks like it has very little to offer) you are looking at the draft. Do you believe that there are any other qb's out there that are worthy of trading for (ie a cousins or the saints backup), which of course depends in part on what you are giving up i appreciate.

To me, coach and snead will evaluate all options and one option will be trading for a guy who is currently a young backup, especially behind a guy who is locked in for years (ie a brees, rg III etc) in a situation where the team is going to lose the guy via free agency anyway. I am not the right talent evaluator on this point, but i dont believe that we can or should ignore the possibility that someone is available that is currently on an nfl roster. It just depends on where we are picking and how we evaluate talent compared to price (in both picks and money), upside, and timing (ie how long it might take a guy to be ready to contribute).

One other thing. Hill is 34. If he plays well, its not out of the question for us to get 2 years out of him which would give a rookie or young qb next year time to get up to speed and we wouldnt have to put him out there day one. That assumes of course that our line can keep him in one piece for a full year.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

Gotta admit, I was a believer. Sorry Sam. Movin' on ...

I wouldnt mind Cousins at all .... as for Sanchez, well ...I'd rather we take our chances w/ Hill.

Especially after reading he doesnt want to be here .... GOOD ..... stay there.
    Rammed likes this.
    If a team won their division seven straight times, that would be a NFL record. Now add on that team did it with seven different QB's in seven straight years,that record is unbeatable. To do that feat, you must of had a great Defense. Jack Youngblood was the captain of that defense.

sonnyjames is offline Registered User

Gutted for Sam and the team. I was - and am - a believer, too. But I always felt he was the right QB for this team at the wrong time. We never gave him the protection or weapons he needed to be a success and like Bulger before him, a potentially excellent QB has been beaten up to the likely point of no repair. Feel very sorry for him tonight.

Where that leaves the Rams is with a huge headache. A half decent season would mean we'd not be picking high enough to take a potentially top-rated future QB; a poor season would be no good for the franchise and St Louis. Real worry is that QB won't be a position of any strength for at least two-three seasons now.
    Last edited by sonnyjames; -08-24-2014 at 11:19 PM.
    Rammed likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast