View Poll Results: Is it time for the Rams to move on from Sam Bradford?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the Rams need a new QB of the future.

43 97.73%
  • No, Bradford can still lead this team in 2015.

1 2.27%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Wagoner: Rams must begin planning for future at QB

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

Re: Wagoner: Rams must begin planning for future at QB

One cannot find fault with the Rams here. To think they should've drafted a QB in the 2nd round this year is the worst kind of second guess, not to mention complete nonsense. Five years ago, they drafted a guy who for all intents and purposes was the consensus #1 pick- especially for a team who needed a QB and a new start. After a good rookie season, he just wasn't able to stay healthy. It just happens with some guys. The Rams rightly stayed patient as they attempted to surround him with a better supporting cast and protection. The chance of ANYONE tearing their ACL a second time are small; with a QB, it's almost non-existent- it just doesn't happen. Yet, for us, it did.

All the bickering, questioning and endless threads over the past couple of years debating whether or not Bradford is the right man for the job is all moot. Sam Bradford will never play another down for the Rams.

sonnyjames is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    All the bickering, questioning and endless threads over the past couple of years debating whether or not Bradford is the right man for the job is all moot. Sam Bradford will never play another down for the Rams.
    That's a pretty depressing closer. But 100% correct. Very sad for him and the team.

RealRam is offline Registered User

All the bickering, questioning and endless threads over the past couple of years debating whether or not Bradford is the right man for the job is all moot. Sam Bradford will never play another down for the Rams. -- NJRF1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnyjames View Post
    That's a pretty depressing closer. But 100% correct. Very sad for him and the team.
    Yes, a true and correct way to surmise the whole Sam Bradford experience. And as you said, 'very sad for him and the team'.

Funny (not), I had just used the word depressing in Bruce4Life's **SIGH** thread a minute ago.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Doesn't Sam have a year left after this one, for 15m? I don't think that the Rams can afford to cut him after this season, even utilizing the June 1 accounting trick. I really wouldn't be surprised to see him actually get an extension, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it be an incentive laden, team friendly, cheap contract that would allow him a long recovery time under team control and probably allow him to transition into the next phase of his career, as a back up, for the foreseeable future as a Ram. He is not a bad QB. He is not the most expensive bust in NFL history (as I remember, Oakland had an expensive #1 pick that was injured by Hardy burgers) and it is not his fault he was the last #1 under the previous system. I think he will realize the investment made in him though and be grateful. Sam has shown absolutely no issues with intelligence and attitude and could be an asset with any young QB brought in as a long term solution while providing a bit of a safety net.

Now, the Rams will rally around Hill and probably Davis. They will still be a decent team to watch with this defense and some decent offensive weapons, finally. They will however be looking for that long term answer at QB because even if Sam sticks around he will not be counted on to be that guy anymore.

This is SAD. But this may not be the end of Sam and it IS NOT the end of the Rams this season. That is my wish and I think it is as valid as anybody's opinion that he sucks because of conditions, and an injury that nobody predicted last year, which this current situation is a direct result of now.
    Semper Fi!

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

We have to move on, it's just that simple. Even if they decide to keep him in 2015, we will still be picking up a QB in the first.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by J-RodRamFan View Post
    We have to move on, it's just that simple. Even if they decide to keep him in 2015, we will still be picking up a QB in the first.
    Yup, agree, the Rams will be picking up a QB.

"Maybe" in the first round, maybe not though.
    Semper Fi!

bradwill is offline Registered User

Great that the Rams didn't extend and restructure Bradford's contract last year as they were were discussing. Then this would be even worse than before.

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    One of the biggest problems i have with the second guessing is that it assumes that fisher and snead felt that there was a franchise quality qb at the top of the draft. Picking the "best guy available" is not really planning for the future if you dont think the best guy available is a franchise caliber guy. We simply dont know either way. In addition, there was an awful lot of pressure to win now and fisher and snead believed that they were ready to do so. I applaud the fact that they went out and got a quality backup in hill, a guy who in my view is better than clemens (although even that i am not sure of since they didnt sign hill until clemens left, not sure how hard they did or didnt try to keep him).

Said another way, if a top qb had been available, houston would have taken him at #1. If another guy the rams loved had been available at 2, they might have taken him, or they might have traded back with a team that wanted clowney or that qb and gotten more picks.

In any event, hindsight is 20-20 and i dont think the fact that sammy got hurt means that coach and snead did the wrong thing in the draft.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I don't disagree with the idea that taking one of the available QB's @ 2 or 13 would have been too risky. I do believe, given Sam's injury history, that we should have looked at taking a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round. I thought that during the draft.

So, for this season, we are left with Shaun Hill and Austin Davis. Shaun has been a reliable back-up for many years. I don't expect him to light the world on fire. However, I think he'll do OK. Austin has some potential. We might get to see him at some point this season. Sam will be back next season. He'll get one more opportunity. Why? Because no one will want to take a chance on him for $16.5 mil. But we need to start planning for the future. I don't believe Sam will be part of that. I dread getting into the cycle of "trying on" other teams cast-offs or second stringers. It is so rare that anything positive ever comes from that. But there you go. Unless something horrible happens, I don't see us picking in the top 10 of next years draft. So, drafting a top prospect might be difficult. Let's just hope we don't wait until round 6 next spring.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Mikey is online now Registered User

Not second guessing previous drafts but I think it's time to find the next Rams franchise QB. I've supported Sam from day one so it's bittersweet and I hope he's able to move on and do what I'd always wanted him to do as a Ram.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Richbert88 View Post
    Doesn't Sam have a year left after this one, for 15m? I don't think that the Rams can afford to cut him after this season, even utilizing the June 1 accounting trick.
    The Rams would clear nearly $13 million from their cap by cutting Sam after this season, as most of his cap number in 2015 comes from his huge salary. Clear that off the books, and you've only got something like $3.5 million in dead money to account for.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Mikey is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The Rams would clear nearly $13 million from their cap by cutting Sam after this season, as most of his cap number in 2015 comes from his huge salary. Clear that off the books, and you've only got something like $3.5 million in dead money to account for.
    Which frees up a lot of money to resign Quinn. I could see Sam being cut for that reason alone.

mh-i is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    That's definitely going to happen. That figure is less than the money Warner counted against their cap when they parted ways with him.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    One cannot find fault with the Rams here. To think they should've drafted a QB in the 2nd round this year is the worst kind of second guess, not to mention complete nonsense.
    Actually one can fault the Rams here, mainly due to the fact they chose not to draft a young QB as insurance even though Sam had shown that he was unable to stay healthy. I'm not saying that they should have drafted someone in the 1st or 2nd round, but the past two or three drafts there has been some good talent from the 3rd round on and for some reason or another the Rams chose not to go that route. Unfortunately that decision has come back to bite the Rams in the rear.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

Easy question to answer... Saturday 8/23 afternoon - No, Sunday 8/24 afternoon - Yes.

My support for him never wavered till yesterday. Even now it isn't that I never thought he had potential. It's just he isn't worth it with prior injuries and the amount due. Better to keep going with Hill and get someone in the off-season.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    One of the biggest problems i have with the second guessing is that it assumes that fisher and snead felt that there was a franchise quality qb at the top of the draft. Picking the "best guy available" is not really planning for the future if you dont think the best guy available is a franchise caliber guy. We simply dont know either way. In addition, there was an awful lot of pressure to win now and fisher and snead believed that they were ready to do so. I applaud the fact that they went out and got a quality backup in hill, a guy who in my view is better than clemens (although even that i am not sure of since they didnt sign hill until clemens left, not sure how hard they did or didnt try to keep him).

Said another way, if a top qb had been available, houston would have taken him at #1. If another guy the rams loved had been available at 2, they might have taken him, or they might have traded back with a team that wanted clowney or that qb and gotten more picks.

In any event, hindsight is 20-20 and i dont think the fact that sammy got hurt means that coach and snead did the wrong thing in the draft.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    No second guessing here, the following has been my feeling all along.

What they did wrong IMO, is not draft a much better QB prospect in the later rounds. One who could've been groomed specifically for the position we find ourselves in now. Someone who could at least push Sam Bradford.

IMO, there was no shortage of that potential caliber QB late in the draft.

From Aaron Murray to Zach Mettenberg to AJ McCarron, just to name a few. All of whom are lightyears ahead of Gilbert in both talent and NFL readiness.

To almost stubbornly declare Sam Bradford as the future without having proven as much, was obviously misguided.

Just think, these guys wanted to re-up Bradford last year. How would that look right now, had Bradford himself, not been man enough to shelve those talks?

It'd be comparable to the Lakers signing a 36 going on 45 (in basketball years) year old Kobe Bryant, to a 48.5 million dollar 2 year extension and coming off the worst injuries of his life. Yeah, still mystified over that one.

Thank God Sam realized that last year wasn't the time to be talking extension or we'd be sitting here with a near impossible decision to make.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast