Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mde8352gorams

Thread: Wagoner: Where Rams Rank In Popularity

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Wagoner: Where Rams Rank In Popularity

Where Rams rank in popularity

April, 4, 2014
    By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com

Over at partner site FiveThirtyEight, founder and editor in chief Nate Silver posted an interesting look at the relative popularity of North American professional sports teams on a worldwide scale.

Using Google searches as the main tool for measuring how much people care about their teams, Silver and Ritchie King ranked the teams from the NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS, Canadian Football League and Liga MX, Mexico's top professional soccer league.

In Friday's rankings, Silver put all of the top teams onto a list and compared and contrasted their Google search popularity. The two teams at the top should come as no surprise: the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox. The Dallas Cowboys are the first NFL team to appear on the list, checking in at No. 3 overall.

Down the list quite a bit is the St. Louis Rams. The Rams come in at No. 51 overall, following closely behind the Atlanta Falcons, who sit at No. 50.

On Wednesday, Silver and King broke it down by sport, giving fans a look at relative popularity of the teams within their respective sport. For that exercise, teams were judged based on how many searches they received compared to the league average.

As Silver points out, there is quite a bit of parity in the distribution of interest in the NFL. That isn't surprising given the universal love and attention the league as a whole garners. In comparing the NFL to the other sports, there's not nearly the big drop-off from the top team (Dallas) to the one at the bottom (Jacksonville) as the other leagues.

In terms of just NFL teams, the Rams sit at No. 23, behind the Falcons and ahead of the Bengals.

It's no surprise to see the Rams in that range. In fact, considering the team's struggles over the past decade, that's actually a pretty representative performance. But as I can attest from doing chats and such, there's no doubt that the team's continued strong following in Los Angeles combined with the hometown fans in St. Louis keep interest in the team relatively high even though the results haven't been there to drive those numbers up.

If and when the Rams ever get back in the playoff mix, I'd expect their popularity to grow as it did when they were one of the league's hottest teams during the days of the "Greatest Show on Turf."

zgare is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Where Rams rank in popularity April, 4, 2014 By Nick Wagoner | ESPN.com Over at partner site FiveThirtyEight, founder and editor in chief Nate Silver posted an interesting look at the relative popularity of North American professional sports teams on a worldwide scale. Using Google searches as the main tool for measuring how much people care about their teams, Silver and Ritchie King ranked the teams from the NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS, Canadian Football League and Liga MX, Mexico's top professional soccer league. In Friday's rankings, Silver put all of the top teams onto a list and compared and contrasted their Google search popularity. The two teams at the top should come as no surprise: the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox. The Dallas Cowboys are the first NFL team to appear on the list, checking in at No. 3 overall. Down the list quite a bit is the St. Louis Rams. The Rams come in at No. 51 overall, following closely behind the Atlanta Falcons, who sit at No. 50. On Wednesday, Silver and King broke it down by sport, giving fans a look at relative popularity of the teams within their respective sport. For that exercise, teams were judged based on how many searches they received compared to the league average. As Silver points out, there is quite a bit of parity in the distribution of interest in the NFL. That isn't surprising given the universal love and attention the league as a whole garners. In comparing the NFL to the other sports, there's not nearly the big drop-off from the top team (Dallas) to the one at the bottom (Jacksonville) as the other leagues. In terms of just NFL teams, the Rams sit at No. 23, behind the Falcons and ahead of the Bengals. It's no surprise to see the Rams in that range. In fact, considering the team's struggles over the past decade, that's actually a pretty representative performance. But as I can attest from doing chats and such, there's no doubt that the team's continued strong following in Los Angeles combined with the hometown fans in St. Louis keep interest in the team relatively high even though the results haven't been there to drive those numbers up. If and when the Rams ever get back in the playoff mix, I'd expect their popularity to grow as it did when they were one of the league's hottest teams during the days of the "Greatest Show on Turf."
    Here is the full list. Nate Silver was the NY time statistician guru who correctly predicted Obama's win in 2012 computing correct results in all but a couple of states. He points out this is based on global internet hits, not just the US.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/t...an-pro-sports/

Last edited by zgare; -04-05-2014 at 09:01 AM.
    ZGare

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Re: Wagoner: Where Rams Rank In Popularity

I don't make the leap of faith that Google searches translates to team's popularity. While the Cowboys have had the label "America's Team", they haven't played to that level in over a decade. Teams like the Steelers and the Chiefs in my mind have far more loyalty and fan enthusiasm. I think Google searches has a relationship with media presence and Jerry Jones has mastered the art of getting the spotlight. I'm not saying we're not correctly placed because the Rams aren't on the tip of most fan's tongues, but even winning isn't going to dramatically change this result. Look at the Seahwaks who have this rabid fan base are only 9 spots ahead of us and they won the Super Bowl.

Go Rams!
    RealRam likes this.

kman is offline Registered User

I would have thought rams would only be ahead of jags

turbofargo is offline Registered User

Ugh, Cowboys number one. No wonder why i am stuck watching their ugly asses sunday after sunday. I live in southern California, high desert area(was an OC kid for 30 years). I swear, the cowboys are ALWAYS shown. If they aren't shown its because they have a Sun Night/Monday/Thursday match up. Otherwise its them. I am SICk of seeing them. I'm not in a position to get Sunday Ticket so I have to watch what is shown.

I am sure its what the demographic wants, but still. I remember back in the Greatest Show days The Rams were on all the time, not every week but had a good mix. You think, no matter your point on the La/St Louis debate, that a team with the history here would get some love. If i see another star on the field next year I think I'm going to lose a lot of weight from all the barfing I will be doing.