Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Wagoner's 8/16 Afternoon Notes

Tuesday Afternoon

-Wednesday morningís practice is officially closed to the public. Because of the wet weather, the grass/dirt parking lot is too wet and muddy for fan parking making the logistics tough. Itís a shame the team couldnít get one more open practice in before it breaks camp tomorrow morning.

-Jerametrius Butler is back in town after a couple of visits to have his knee checked out. Butler is in pursuit of opinions and information on the possibility of his playing this season. He still might get one more opinion, but declined to comment after Tuesday afternoonís practice.

-Brandon Chillar will remain out for about three weeks, but he should be OK. It is hard to pinpoint when he injured his shoulder, but he should be fine.

-You have to admire players like Corey Ivy and Duvol Thompson. Both are playing with injuries, which isnít unusual unless itís training camp. Some players donít appreciate the opportunity they have, but to see someone like Thompson who is a long shot to begin with play with a broken hand and not just pray for an injury settlement is refreshing. Thompson held up just fine in the afternoon session.

-Blaine Saipaia ran with the first team offense at left guard during the afternoon workout. Itís hard to get a read on what or if that means anything, but it could be any number of things. Perhaps the coaches wanted to give Claude Terrell a break or maybe he has struggled and needed to have the reins pulled back some. Saipaia did have an excellent morning practice and continues to impress with his versatility and toughness.

-Orlando Pace is in fine form after returning to action. He might have his best season yet in store, which would be pretty impressive for a six-time Pro Bowler.

-I donít want to turn this into a daily Alex Barron lovefest, but he had his best practice of his first three on Tuesday afternoon. Remember yesterday in pass rush drills when defensive end Anthony Hargrove got under his skin and a small skirmish broke out? Well, there were no skirmishes to be had Tuesday afternoon as Barron responded with a dominant effort. That isnít to say he pushed Hargrove around, but he more than held his own. I still donít know when Barron will get his shot on the right side, but my guess is sooner than later and once he gets there it wonít be long before he makes it his spot.

GameTime is offline Registered User

Re: Wagoner's 8/16 Afternoon Notes

Sounds real good. Please dont be afraid of the barron love fest, His progress is very important to how we come out of the blocks to open the season. Sounds like he may have an opportunity to still start game 1 if he continues to impress. Martz tends to try and fire up his players and especially challenge the rookies. He did similar things to challenge jackson last season

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime
    Sounds real good. Please dont be afraid of the barron love fest, His progress is very important to how we come out of the blocks to open the season. Sounds like he may have an opportunity to still start game 1 if he continues to impress. Martz tends to try and fire up his players and especially challenge the rookies. He did similar things to challenge jackson last season
    Great point about Jackson. I personally don't think Barron will be ready for a week one start, but I think if he continues the progress he's making now, he'll be in a position to take over at some point during the season.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

In 2-3 weeks, I'll have full right to say "I told you so" to many people who over-criticized/wrote off Barron.

tanus is offline Registered User

you and me both Avenger.