Results 1 to 5 of 5
Thread: Wagoner's Friday Evening Notes
Wagoner's Friday Evening Notes
Friday, March 10, 2006
- Somewhere in heaven, Jack Snow is smiling today. See, Isaac Bruce was always one of Mr. Snow's favorites. Whenever Isaac would break one of his records, Mr. Snow never got upset. He was always happy for Isaac and Isaac was always respectful of Mr. Snow. Mr. Snow was a true Ram through and through. He cared about the team as much as anyone. Isaac Bruce is the same way. The three-year deal Bruce agreed to Friday morning should allow him to retire a Ram. That's the way it should be.
- The Rams and Scott Linehan remained confident and optimistic throughout the process of signing Bruce. There was never any doubt that retaining Bruce was a priority and everyone involved knew how important it was to get the deal done. For me, I don't care if the team signs Dick Butkus in his prime, this signing, keeping Bruce in St. Louis is the most important move this franchise can make. He is everything an NFL player and role model should be. He is of the utmost value to this team, this franchise and this community on and off the field. Everything is right with the world knowing Bruce will remain a Ram and he should go into the Hall of Fame as one as well.
- The cap ramifications of Bruce's deal are believed to be as follows: the new contract is believed to be worth about $15 million and the savings for this season is just under $3 million. With the signing of Bruce and La'Roi Glover and the new CBA agreed upon, the Rams should be about $17 million under the cap. That leaves plenty of room to continue rebuilding the defense. With free agency set to begin tommorrow, that rebuilding should start quickly.
- As many of you have e-mailed, coach Scott Linehan is indeed off to an impressive start. He understands the importance of building the defense even though he is an "offensive" guy and he had a great appreciation for what Bruce means to the organization. It's a nice beginning, but there is plenty of work to do.
- Seriously, do the Daunte Culpepper to the Rams rumors really need to be revived? We've heard it and read it all before. Yes, Linehan has a previous relationship with Culpepper. No, that doesn't mean he is going to come to St. Louis. For the same reasons as before, this isn't going to happen. One, Culpepper makes a lot of money and isn't necessarily worth the contract or the compensation it would take to get him. Two, Culpepper is coming off a serious injury that might not have him ready to play until September. Third, and most important, I believe Marc Bulger is the better quarterback at this point. The likelihood of Culpepper being traded is high. The likelihood of that trade landing him in St. Louis? Almost none.
- There are few indications, if any, that the Rams will retain any of their free agents. That doesn't mean it won't happen, but Adam Archuleta and Ryan Pickett especially will get plenty of interest on the open market. That begins at 12:01 a.m. Saturday and the competition for free agents will be tough.
- I'm slightly surprised that Sam Madison didn't get more than he did from the Giants on the open market, but the Rams weren't as high on him as others. Madison has lost a step or two and appears headed toward the downside of his career. Simply put, he's a solid player, but no longer among the game's elite at his position.
- Let's play the what if scenario for a minute. Apparently, Ohio State linebacker A.J. Hawk put on a show in his Pro Day workout Thursday. Let's say the Rams can get a linebacker, a safety and a corner as well as some depth on the lines in free agency. Would it then be worth the move to get up in the draft to a point to grab Hawk? You'd probably have to crack the top five or six to get him, but would it not be worth the extra picks you'd have to give to get him? Just a thought to consider.
- It should be an interesting weekend with the amount of money teams have to spend on the open market. Stay tuned for what should be an exciting and interesting season of free agency.
Country Roads, Take Them To St. Louis!
Re: Wagoner's Friday Evening Notes
We wont' spent crap on golden players.RamsFan16
Re: Wagoner's Friday Evening NotesOriginally Posted by RamsFan16
It'll be okay, dude. Really.
Win, Lose or Draw... Rams for Life! :football:
Re: Wagoner's Friday Evening NotesOriginally Posted by Scidog68BRUUUUUUUUCE
Re: Wagoner's Friday Evening Notes
yeah, good way of putting it. We're definitely doing the right things here...
Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams