Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Wagoner's Monday Afternoon Notes

Monday Afternoon
    Monday, November 21, 2005

- It doesn't look good for quarterback Marc Bulger for the rest of the season. The feeling I got from a conversation with him Monday morning is that he doesn't intend to rush back to the field like he did last season and already once this season. He aggravated the shoulder injury and it's just not worth risking his future. This team has slim playoff hopes and it doesn't make any sense to rush back at the risk of hurting his future.

- With that said, maybe it isn't a horrible idea for rookie Ryan Fitzpatrick to get some opportunities. Jamie Martin has done a solid job in Bulger's stead, but we know what he can do. It would be fun to see Fitzpatrick at least get some series here and there to see what the kid can do. He showed glimpses in the preseason and he could be effective if given the opportunity to roll out and make things happen on the run.

- Back to Bulger for just a second. I have received lots of emails questioning his toughness. No offense to any of those sending those messages, but of all the problems this team has right now, Bulger is far from the No. 1 problem. In fact, were it not for the shoulder problems, in my mind he would be one of the top six or seven quarterbacks in the league right now. He is the definition of tough. He plays and plays hard even when he's hurt. Keep in mind that he's been playing the past two weeks with an injured throwing shoulder and is still putting up impressive numbers. Oh by the way, he also leads the league in passer rating right now [NICK'S NOTE: He leads the NFC, not the league].

- Isaac Bruce was in obvious pain on the field Sunday afternoon, but he fought through it and came up with a big play. Bruce also falls into the tough, gritty department and should be commended for it. Bruce is worth his weight in leadership alone, nevermind his considerable talent and production. He is 12 yards away from 12,000 receiving yards in his career.

- Adam Archuleta and Blaine Saipaia suffered serious concussions Sunday and spent the night in the hospital. Here's hoping both are fine and will be back in short order.

- I failed to mention Brandon Green in my notes Sunday, but he has been a valuable pickup for this team. He plays hard every down and he is a nice piece to have in the rotation. Anthony Hargrove's recognition skills haven't progressed as expected and Green is usually in position. Hargrove still has potential, but it's disappointing that he hasn't "got" it yet.

- I'll have some thoughts from around the league and more on the situation at hand later this week. Be sure to check back tomorrow for a new mailbag.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Re: Wagoner's Monday Afternoon Notes

Thx for the info Nick
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    Anthony Hargrove's recognition skills haven't progressed as expected and Green is usually in position. Hargrove still has potential, but it's disappointing that he hasn't "got" it yet.
    Echo, echo, echo

general counsel is offline Registered User

He "Got" it alright. He Got bit in the arse by the "I am going to overpursue every chance i get" bug. Meanwhile, i still like his upside a lot and would give him another year working with brandon green. I wouldnt go defensive end in round one- lineback and corner.

ramming speed to all

general counsel