Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Waiting on Bradford

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Waiting on Bradford

In the wake of Tom Brady's financial sacrifice so his team can continue to compete at a high level for the forseeable future, I was wondering if maybe Sam Bradford was thinking along those same lines.

Add to that the trade SF just pulled off with Alex Smith, and with no doubt more to come. Can anybody say Darelle Revis? Well soon we'll be saying it twice a year, and with our current group of WRs, that's not very good news.

15 picks in one draft after coming off a superbowl loss? Wow, how does that happen? I don't know but it certainly puts us behind the 8 ball, with hardly any cap room and no overrated back-up QB to trade.

How about it Sam, how about blowing your contract up and totally restructuring for the good of the team. I wonder if that's even allowed under the new CBA.

Oh well, just wondering out loud.
    Bar-bq likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Waiting on Bradford

How about it Sam, how about blowing your contract up and totally restructuring for the good of the team.
    A fair and interesting challenge to our QB, a good young man nevertheless. We'll see if this is an alternative / example to follow.

On the other hand, Brady may be a NE Patriot "and all that" but as a team-oriented member, he is truly one of a kind. A remarkable attitude in that respect. Indeed, a highly respectable pro.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

He most likely will if he breaks out and plays like his contract expects him to. We need consistency from him to avoid uncertainty.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

In regards to Tom Terrific, let's not forget that he isn't even the breadwinner of his household, Gisele is the top supermodel in the world, and brings home a ridiculous chunk of change.

Not saying Sam would be struggling to make ends meet if he were to restructure of course, it's just a little easier to "take one for the team" when a divorce means you are the one making out like a bandit.

Also, its not like Tom is losing any "real" money, the guaranteed dough is still there, just the cap hit per year is lessened, and the Pats won't be in that uncomfortable position where they can't afford their aging franchise player. By that I mean, very rarely do NFL teams pay the full amount on these massive, back-loaded contracts. Our very own franchise player is finding that out this year, and I think Mikel will realize that sooner or later as well. Think of it as the Fat Albert rule, he is a very rich man, but he didn't see all of that 100 million dollars like he would have had he played out the contract.

Which brings me to my next point, this morning on Mike&Mike they displayed a list of QB's with biggest cap hits, showing Tom had moved about 10 spots down the list. I was shocked when I couldn't find Bradford. Even rewound and paused the list, thinking I had glanced over him. The key about Sam's contract that people forget, the big part about it is the guaranteed money. There are many bigger contracts out there, just not too many that rival the guaranteed money of Bradford's.

So what I am getting at is, restructuring Sam's contract won't do much of anything. He isn't, heck might not even be able to, change the amount of guaranteed money in the deal. I mean by definition of guarantee, that money is already his. Which is why trying to dump his salary, like the most extreme of Bradford Bashers suggest, is an act of futility. Like it or not, Sam's contract is what it is.

(disclaimer, I could be pulling this out of my rear, so if any cap guru's out there know better, please enlighten. But I mean guarantee means guarantee, amirite)
    Last edited by C-Mob 71; -02-28-2013 at 01:55 AM.

Truck is offline Registered User

Did you see Brady's contract. It might have helped their cap this year, but almost all of that contract is garaunteed. It's not gonna be nearly as good for Patriots on the back end as it is going to be for Tom Terrific.
    Rammed likes this.

TorontoRam is offline Registered User

[QUOTE=C-Mob 71;455193]In regards to Tom Terrific, let's not forget that he isn't even the breadwinner of his household, Gisele is the top supermodel in the world, and brings home a ridiculous chunk of change.

Not saying Sam would be struggling to make ends meet if he were to restructure of course, it's just a little easier to "take one for the team" when a divorce means you are the one making out like a bandit.

Which brings me to my next point, this morning on Mike&Mike they displayed a list of QB's with biggest cap hits, showing Tom had moved about 10 spots down the list. I was shocked when I couldn't find Bradford. Even rewound and paused the list, thinking I had glanced over him. The key about Sam's contract that people forget, the big part about it is the guaranteed money. There are many bigger contracts out there, just not too many that rival the guaranteed money of Bradford's.

Trying to find a coherent explanation of how the cap works vis a vis a players 'guaranteed money,' vis a vis the CBA is mind-numbing.
    However, several things seem to jump out when searching:
    • A player (e.g. Tom Brady) can restructure his contract if he so chooses
    • A player (e.g. fill in blank) could still be cut, which would 'restructure' his contract big time (addition by subtraction)
    • A player (e.g. Sam Bradford) who was signed under the old CBA is only bound by that agreement and not by the new CBA
    • Sam Bradford is not in the top 10 in salary but certain in regards to 'guaranteed money' (50M)

Let's see what happens (door #1; door #2; or door #3).

shower beers is offline Registered User

Finally, a Sam Bradford thread.
    RealRam, Nick, Bar-bq and 3 others like this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Brady didn't take a pay cut. He actually increased his guaranteed money by converting salary to bonuses.

Here's a tip:

1. Get the facts;

then

2. Comment.

MrLegend28 is offline Registered User

everyone keeps talking about Bradys new contract meanwhile he doubled his guarantees from 27 to like 54 million.. so on paper it "looks smaller" but hes making more.

edit: the gentleman right above me said the same thing lol. My bad for double posting.

TorontoRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MrLegend28 View Post
    everyone keeps talking about Bradys new contract meanwhile he doubled his guarantees from 27 to like 54 million.. so on paper it "looks smaller" but hes making more.

edit: the gentleman right above me said the same thing lol. My bad for double posting.
    Please confirm or not confirm. Isn't 'guaranteed money' still at risk if a player is cut, under the old CBA? As I recall Marc Bulger had guaranteed money but when he was cut that deal was off the table. As I've said, the math is mind numbing and I've yet to decipher the 'cap' much less 'guaranteed money,' which sounds like a lock except it seems there have been situations where that wasn't the case under the old CBA. Any information is appreciated.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    In the wake of Tom Brady's financial sacrifice so his team can continue to compete at a high level for the forseeable future, I was wondering if maybe Sam Bradford was thinking along those same lines.

Add to that the trade SF just pulled off with Alex Smith, and with no doubt more to come. Can anybody say Darelle Revis? Well soon we'll be saying it twice a year, and with our current group of WRs, that's not very good news.

15 picks in one draft after coming off a superbowl loss? Wow, how does that happen? I don't know but it certainly puts us behind the 8 ball, with hardly any cap room and no overrated back-up QB to trade.

How about it Sam, how about blowing your contract up and totally restructuring for the good of the team. I wonder if that's even allowed under the new CBA.

Oh well, just wondering out loud.
    It's an extension worth 57mill guaranteed over 5yrs. Sacrifice ? ! Child please.....let's not turn Brady into Sydney Carton here. Do you really want The Rams to do the same with Bradford just to drop his yearly cap hit by a couple of million per year but add another 2 yrs to the deal ? The Pats did this to ease their cap situation, Brady still gets his megabucks. The risk is all theirs.

To me, it's like Goodell & his $1 salary during the lockout. Sounds noble on the face of it until you hear he got a retrograde payraise to $29mill for the year, doesn't it ?

15 picks for whom ? I thought the Alex Smith trade was rumored to be two 2nd rounders ?
    KoaKoi likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoRam View Post
    Please confirm or not confirm. Isn't 'guaranteed money' still at risk if a player is cut, under the old CBA?
    No, guaranteed means guaranteed, unless the player somehow breaches the contract.

Also, for those worried about the Niners extra picks in the draft, most of them are in Rounds 5-7.
    lostsoul likes this.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    No, guaranteed means guaranteed, unless the player somehow breaches the contract.

Also, for those worried about the Niners extra picks in the draft, most of them are in Rounds 5-7.
    If they draft like they did last year, I wouldn't be worried if they had the first 15 picks overall.
    shower beers likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    It's an extension worth 57mill guaranteed over 5yrs. Sacrifice ? ! Child please.....let's not turn Brady into Sydney Carton here. Do you really want The Rams to do the same with Bradford just to drop his yearly cap hit by a couple of million per year but add another 2 yrs to the deal ? The Pats did this to ease their cap situation, Brady still gets his megabucks. The risk is all theirs.

To me, it's like Goodell & his $1 salary during the lockout. Sounds noble on the face of it until you hear he got a retrograde payraise to $29mill for the year, doesn't it ?

15 picks for whom ? I thought the Alex Smith trade was rumored to be two 2nd rounders ?
    Ok, so he only restructured. Cool, but my bottom line still doesn't change one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    If they draft like they did last year, I wouldn't be worried if they had the first 15 picks overall.
    Wow....that's a pretty cocky statement for a Ram fan to make, coming off our last decade of drafts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast