Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bralidore(RAMMODE) Guest

Walter Football Dooms the Rams Again

2010 NFL Season Preview:

Veteran Additions:
    QB A.J. Feeley, C Hank Fraley, DT Chris Hovan, DT Fred Robbins, OLB Na'il Diggs, OLB Bobby Carpenter, CB Kevin Dockery, S Kevin Payne.
    Early Draft Picks:
    QB Sam Bradford, OT Rodger Saffold, CB Jerome Murphy, WR Mardy Gilyard, TE Michael Hoomanawanui, DE Hall Davis.
    Offseason Losses:
    QB Marc Bulger, QB Kyle Boller, TE Randy McMichael, OT Alex Barron, DE Leonard Little, DT Adam Carriker, OLB Paris Lenon, CB Jonathan Wade.

2010 St. Louis Rams Offense:
    And the Sam Bradford era begins! Sort of. As of this writing, Bradford isn't getting many of the first-team snaps in minicamps. That could (and probably will) change as we get closer to training camp, but it just goes to show that unlike Matthew Stafford, Mark Sanchez and Matt Ryan, Bradford is not pro-ready because he played in a spread shotgun offense. Bradford could very well mature into a great NFL quarterback, but it'll take more time for him to develop than other recently drafted signal-callers.
    It's safe to say that either quarterback will struggle. Bradford's not nearly prepared, and while A.J. Feeley has proven that he can win games with tons of talent around him, he just doesn't have much to work with in St. Louis.
    Hey Walter, Bradford isn't getting all the reps with the one's yet because it goes against Spags coaching philosophy of not handing rookies the job, instead making them earn it, which Sam is doing slowly but surely.

The offensive line is a huge question mark. Jason Smith, penciled in at left tackle, started just five games as a rookie last year at right tackle before suffering a season-ending concussion. Smith wasn't terrible in his limited action, but he certainly didn't impress. Playing on Bradford's blind side will prove to be much more challenging, especially if he continues to be hampered by a stress fracture in his toe that knocked him out of minicamps.
    Agreed

Taking Smith's spot at right tackle is rookie Rodger Saffold. Selected No. 33 overall in the 2010 NFL Draft, Saffold has potential, but is an unknown commodity.Meanwhile, the interior is a bit better with center Jason Brown, and guards Adam Goldberg and Jacob Bell. Brown and Bell are solid, but Goldberg was responsible for eight sacks and six penalties in 2009.
    Goldberg was also playing at the tackle position, not guard where he's in the mix for a job here.

The receiving corps is in better condition than the offensive line, but lacks a true No. 1. For now, Laurent Robinson and Donnie Avery are the starters. The oft-injured Robinson had 11 receptions for 141 yards and a touchdown in the first two games of the 2009 season, but suffered a fractured fibula and a high ankle sprain that knocked him out for the year. He's healthy now, but based on history, he'll definitely be banged up again soon. Once that happens, Brandon Gibson or rookie Mardy Gilyard will step into the lineup.
    I guess we should warn Laurent that his injury is inevitable.

Avery, meanwhile, excelled as a No. 2 receiver in 2008 with 53 receptions and 674 yards. He struggled last year because Torry Holt was no longer around; matched up against No. 1 corners, Avery failed to get open. The Rams will have to obtain a new No. 1 receiver next offseason. Luckily for them, the 2011 NFL Draft is packed with dynamic talents like A.J. Green, Julio Jones, Jonathan Baldwin and Michael Floyd.
    Torry Holt's absence impacted Avery indeed. This, along with poor offensive line play, poor quarterback play, and nagging leg injuries that plagued Avery all of last season helped with this as well.

The only Pro Bowl-caliber weapon Bradford will have at his disposal as a rookie is Steven Jackson. Despite playing on a truly awful team last year and later suffering through painful back spasms, Jackson continued to run hard every single week, earning the respect of many around the league.
    There is cause for concern here, however. Jackson had back surgery this offseason, which is never good news. He has also touched the ball a whopping 1,677 times in the past five years. Though he's just 27, Jackson has to be wearing down. The Rams would have been better off sitting him toward the end of the 2009 campaign; all of the carries and receptions in those meaningless games took their toll on Jackson.
    Can't argue here

2010 St. Louis Rams Defense:
    St. Louis' defensive rankings in terms of points allowed over the past five years: 31st, 31st, 31st, 28th and 31st. Well... at least they've never been last! They have that much going for them.

The big story for St. Louis' defense this offseason has been about O.J. Atogwe. The Pro Bowl free safety became on a free agent on June 1. Atogwe could still be re-signed, but it's worth noting that his absence at the end of the 2009 campaign made the Rams' secondary look much more pitiful than it already was. Before Atogwe's injury, they surrendered 217.5 passing yards per game. Afterward, that figure rose to 288.5.

When Atogwe suffered that dislocated shoulder, Craig Dahl was forced into the lineup next to strong safety James Butler. Neither was very good in coverage (especially Butler). Of course it didn't help that cornerbacks Ronald Bartell and Justin King struggled mightily, and impressive rookie corner Bradley Fletcher was lost after seven games because of a knee injury. Fletcher will be back, but will he be 100 percent coming off knee surgery?
    Bartell played injured the majority of last season and is finally 100 percent. Fletcher is indeed a question mark.

St. Louis' secondary doesn't have much of a chance if the defensive line can't get pressure on the quarterback, and it doesn't look like that's going to happen. The Rams collected 25 sacks in 2009, as Chris Long didn't progress the way the team expected him to. Long had just five sacks last year, though they all came in Week 8 or later. St. Louis' leader in sacks, Leonard Little (6.5) is no longer with the team, meaning that Long and James Hall will be the starting ends. Hall, 33, notched five sacks in 2009, but all but one came prior to Week 12.
    Time will tell.

The defensive tackle position is more promising, but only by default. Nose tackle Clifton Ryan is decent against the run, but under tackles Chris Hovan and Fred Robbins are 32- and 33-year-olds on the decline. The Rams will not generate any sort of pass rush up the middle.
    Again, time will tell, hard to say we won't do something without having a clue how certain acquisitions and second year players will play.

If Atogwe doesn't return, St. Louis' best defensive player will be middle linebacker James Lauriniaitis, who had a great rookie season. Unfortunately, the Rams don't have much else in their linebacking corps. The other current starters are Na'il Diggs, who is somehow still in the NFL, and Bobby Carpenter, who can't cover to save his life. Though Diggs and Carpenter have mysteriously been penciled into the lineup, David Vobora is St. Louis' top linebacker outside of Laurinaitis. It'll be a huge upset if Vobora, a former Mr. Irrelevant, doesn't overtake Diggs or Carpenter at some point in 2010.
    Diggs had a solid season last year so saying he should be out of the league is a bit harsh. Carpenter's biggest asset IS his ability to cover, did he direct his opinions at the wrong player or just completely miss the boat here?

2010 St. Louis Rams Schedule and Intangibles:
    Remember when the Edwards Jones Dome was such a huge advantage for the Greatest Show on Turf? Now, not so much. Of St. Louis' six victories the past three years, four were on the road. Its lone home wins came against Joey Harrington's Falcons and the Brad Johnson-led Cowboys.

A year after drilling 31-of-36 field goals, Josh Brown really struggled, going 19-of-24 in 2009. This marked the first time he hit fewer than 80 percent of his kicks since 2005.

Donnie Jones continued to reign as one of the league's top punters, maintaining a 46.8 average with 34-of-90 kicks inside the 20.

The Rams didn't score a touchdown on special teams, but Danny Amendola performed well, averaging 11.6 yards on punt returns and 24.5 yards on kickoffs. Unfortunately, St. Louis surrendered a special-teams score - its sixth since 2006.

Looking for some winnable games outside of the division, St. Louis has: Oakland on the road (Week 2), Buccaneers on the road (Week 7), Broncos on the road (Week 12) and Chiefs at home (Week 15).
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quarterbacks: *

Offensive Line: **

Secondary: **

Running Backs: ****

Defensive Line: *

Special Teams: ***

Receivers: **

Linebackers: ***

Coaching: **

2010 St. Louis Rams Analysis: The 2010 season looks like another throw-away year for the Rams. Sam Bradford isn't ready; the offensive line is still young; there is no No. 1 receiver; Steven Jackson is coming off back surgery; and the defense still has tons of holes. St. Louis will be much more competitive in 2011; the fans just need to be patient.

Projection: 1-15 (4th in NFC West)

Thank you Walter, we'll just agree to disagree strongly here.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Re: Walter Football Dooms the Rams Again

I doubt he will be saying this stuff if we had picked up Jimmy Clausen instead of Sam Bradford.

We all know about his man crush on Clausen.

MACD is offline Registered User

And we all know how many snaps Mr. Clausen is getting now....

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Gotta love blogzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Football
    The big story for St. Louis' defense this offseason has been about O.J. Atogwe. The Pro Bowl free safety became a free agent on June 1.
    This statement, or should I say misstatement, tells me all I need to know about the credibility of this report.

Judaxi is offline Registered User

What a joker.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) Guest

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    This statement, or should I say misstatement, tells me all I need to know about the credibility of this report.
    Only reason I didn't bother saying anything about that was because Atogwe was snubbed from the pro bowl after should have having gone back on 07-08.

But then again...shudda wudda cudda...

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

so he thinks we will go 1-15,

Please

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I was wondering where that came from as well...smh, poor guy.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm not a fan of WalterFootball in general, and I don't agree with the prediction that the Rams will repeat as a 1-15 team, but the descriptions overall in this write-up aren't exactly out there in left field.

The point of contention for many is probably that, rather than sit on the fence, the writer predicts how he thinks some things will go for the Rams and they aren't positive. For instance, he predicts another injury for Laurent Robinson. Sadly, until Robinson can prove he can stay healthy, I can't really blame him for that opinion.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    For instance, he predicts another injury for Laurent Robinson. Sadly, until Robinson can prove he can stay healthy, I can't really blame him for that opinion.
    Okay... but where do you draw those lines? Is he predicting that Matt Hasselbeck will get injured again? How about Troy Polamalu?

I see little utility in assessing a team's roster by predicting future injuries.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Okay... but where do you draw those lines?
    That's easy: eeny meenie miny mo .. same as Walter F.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Okay... but where do you draw those lines? Is he predicting that Matt Hasselbeck will get injured again? How about Troy Polamalu?

I see little utility in assessing a team's roster by predicting future injuries.
    I don't know where you draw the lines, but when a guy hasn't proven he can stay healthy in the league, I'm not going to fault someone for predicting he's going to get injured based on that history.

As for the final line, we'll have to disagree. It'd be one thing if he were just predicting random injuries to random players, but when you're trying to determine how you think a team's going to do, I think you have to consider whether a player is going to be able to contribute for a full 16 game season.

For what it's worth, their write-ups were just as critical of Matt Hasselbeck and Bob Sanders.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

khdude Guest

1-15 prediction for the Rams is absurd, too much talent to do that badly, besides the Rams have addressed issues everywhere, and Spags has a year under his belt now. I'm not even a Ram fan I predict 5-8 wins this year at worst.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I"m with Nick. I don't think much of what he wrote is all that horrific. This was the same stuff written last offseason and we routinely had thread after thread dedicated to how everyone else is dumb and the Rams have made great progress.

And I would predict Hass and Sanders getting hurt again. Their bodies are both broken down shells.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast