RamWraith is offline Registered User

Walter Payton Man of the Year Nominee Robert Thomas

Tuesday, October 12, 2004

By NICK WAGONER
    Staff Writer

Robert Thomas isnít exactly the moist boisterous player on the Rams. The middle linebacker likes to keep to himself; some would say he is as shy as a child.

It comes as no surprise, then, that when Thomas is around adults, he is reserved. But put him around kids and that all changes. Thomas takes on the personality of the children around him, laughing, joking and playing as though he were not quite old enough to cross the street yet.

This side of Thomas isnít as rare as it might sound, for he spends a good portion of his time off the field in the company of children, usually at a childrenís hospital in St. Louis. He formed Thomasí Team to organize group outings for children. The group goes to the movies, McDonaldís and various places with Thomas ó and no parents are allowed.

ďWhen there are no parents the kids can just let loose and have fun,Ē Thomas said. ďIím a child myself, so I like to interact with kids, play around with them.Ē

His dedication to kids has earned him a nomination for the Walter Payton Man of the Year award.

A normal day for Thomas includes hitting offensive linemen twice his size or fullbacks built like MAC trucks. When he gets ďfreeĒ time, he takes every opportunity he can to make a difference where it really counts, in the hearts of the childrenís lives he touches on a daily basis.

A glance at Thomasí schedule off the field reveals that he skips out on no opportunities to help those less fortunate than him. Thomasícharitable contributions donít stop with scheduled commitments, though.

Thomas has been known to stop by Cardinal Glennon and St. Louis Childrenís Hospital on his own volition, never asking to enter with any fanfare or press. He does it because he wants to; because he loves to see kids ó who havenít been blessed as he has ó smile.

ďWinning an award would be nice, but every time I get a smile from one of those kids, I feel like I won,Ē Thomas said.

Itís possible Thomasí interest in kids is so devout and strong because it began when he was visiting Shrinerís Hospital as a high school student in California. He continued his work with children through high school and on in to college at UCLA.

ďHelping kids has always been a part of me,Ē Thomas said. ďIt makes me appreciate how blessed I am in what I am able to do.Ē

Thomas is an inspiration to the children he visits and the feeling is more than mutual. Take the example of Kaycey, one of the children Thomas met on a visit. She has struggled with lung and heart transplants, but often had Thomas by her side as she battled valiantly.

"Just seeing what she went through makes you realize you can do anything,Ē Thomas said. ďIn my eyes, thereís nothing in this world that is going to be tougher than what she went through. That really inspires me when I am tired, sitting down, hurtingÖI think of what she did.Ē

Somewhere, even as you read this, there is a kid or two or 50 in St. Louis, thinking the exact same thing about Thomas.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Re: Walter Payton Man of the Year Nominee Robert Thomas

Didn't Kyle Turley win the thing?

general counsel Guest

I think his charity work is a great thing. Notwithstanding the foregoing, i would like to see him win the London Fletcher "Human Tackle" award and actually stay healthy for consecutive games. I saw that fletcher had 21 tackles last week.

general counsel

elAcky Guest

If I were an NFL defensive player.... it would embarass me to win this award

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by elAcky
    If I were an NFL defensive player.... it would embarass me to win this award
    I am now rolling my eyes to such a degree that I can actually see the inside of the back of my skull.

elAcky Guest

you can roll your eyes at us mere mortals as much as you like, but your perfect world must surely see that Thomas is not the man to anchor our defense... the last thing we need is a charitable quite man......

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by elAcky
    you can roll your eyes at us mere mortals as much as you like, but your perfect world must surely see that Thomas is not the man to anchor our defense... the last thing we need is a charitable quite man......
    Derrick Brooks has won this award for his charitable work. I suppose he's someone who you wouldn't have wanted on the Rams' defense, right? As for Robert Thomas... while I don't consider him the "anchor" of the defense, I think he's still a developing young player with some upside.

1st & Goal is offline Registered User

This is the type of player I want on my team. Great London Fletcher comment, thankful for his time with the team nut he is gone. Let it go. Last I looked the Bills were o - 4. The way a player acts off the field, does not indicate how he will act on it. As a reference look at Issac Bruce. Enough said.
    "I was the originator of smack. Some guys rattle with smack; with other guys it rolls right off their shoulders like nothing. "
    -Deacon Jones