Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pantherfan is offline Registered User

Want to know about Kris Jenkins? My report

Hello Clan Ram, I come here as a non-hostile Panthers fan that is excited about the possibilities of this trade of Jenkins for possibly your first-round draft pick this year or whatever (I'd really like a first-rounder, I think you'll find that he's worth it IF he gets into shape, which is questionable). This is one of those rare trades that looks perfect to both sides.

Kris Jenkins is coming off a Pro Bowl season where he played his best BY FAR in the second half of the season. First half of the season? He was almost a non-factor. Just tryin' to keep it real here and tell you the honest truth. First half of the season your former Ram Damione Lewis actually played better than Jenkins did.

However, most think that was a conditioning problem and once he finally got back into shape (remember, he had basically missed the past two seasons because of injuries), he was a beast again. Not THE best defensive tackle in the game like he was back in 2002 and 2003, but great nonetheless and worthy of a Pro Bowl selection.

Let me run down the positives and negatives on him for just a second:

POSITIVES
    - WHEN IN SHAPE, you'd be hard-pressed to find many defensive tackles better than him in the NFL. He is INCREDIBLY fast for a man of his size and is excellent at jumping the snap count.

- He's almost unblockable in some ways. You won't find many linemen that can toe to toe with Kris Jenkins and hold their ground. He tosses many linemen around like rag dolls.

- Much is made about how good he is at run stuffing, but he's also a good-to-excellent pass rusher for a defensive tackle as well.

NEGATIVES
    - Like I said, he's out of shape right now. His work ethic has been a concern for Carolina since he's been here.

- He has a tendency to have flags thrown on him because of how badly he wants to jump the snap count. You can count on him getting many flags throughout the season because of how badly he wants to get off the line.

Two other things: I've read some stuff here about him about his injury problems and alcohol problems. He was 100% healthy all of last season to the best of my knowledge and also has put his alcoholism behind him (at least those were the reports before the beginning of the regular season last year, who knows what's going on now with the reports of him being out of shape again.)

So there you go. It'll be sad to see him go because he's been amazing for us, but if we're loaded at one spot right now, it's at defensive tackle, so we can afford to let Jenkins go for the appropriate compensation.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Want to know about Kris Jenkins? My report

While we appreciate the head's up on Jenkins and certainly welcome you to the forum Pantherfan, you're in all likelihood not getting anything near a first rounder for a guy who has missed more games than he's played in the last three seasons. A more realistic goal is a third round pick this year, or a fourth rounder in 2007 and an additional conditional pick in 2008. Jenkins is far too risky to demand any higher compensation, IMO.

If the Rams give up a first or second round pick for Jenkins, I'll be pretty shocked.

Pantherfan is offline Registered User

Fair enough Nick, just throwing it out there to see what you all thought about it. Didn't the Jets get a first-round draft pick for John Abraham last year? That was the immediate comparison I thought of when trying to figure out what round draft pick we might get in exchange for Jenkins.

I understand your concern about Jenkins's health, but really, that was much more of an issue before last season than now. Like I said, he didn't miss a game this year due to injury.

Maybe we could compromise and have a second-rounder for him? Oh if only message board posters could determine player personnel decisions for franchises....

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Our 1st rounder would be too much for a guy with a lot of questions marks. Maybe worth a two if we are desperate -- a three would be better.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/141/story/77146.html

Country is offline Registered User

A 3rd and a player, I think that a 2nd is a possibility but the Rams may want a 4th or 5th as well.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Pantherfan View Post
    Didn't the Jets get a first-round draft pick for John Abraham last year? That was the immediate comparison I thought of when trying to figure out what round draft pick we might get in exchange for Jenkins.
    The Jets received the 29th pick in the first round as part of a three-way trade for Abraham, so that's a far departure from the 13th overall pick. That being said, defensive ends are much more valuable commodities than defensive tackles. An elite pass rusher is arguably the second most important individual player in football behind only the quarterback, IMO.

A more appropriate comparison might be current Colts DT Anthony McFarland, who was traded to Indianapolis from Tampa Bay during last season for what ended up being the final pick of the second round. Personally I feel the Colts were willing to overpay for Booger because they were making a Super Bowl run and wanted to win now, because I wouldn't have exchanged a second round pick for him. But for the sake of this discussion, I think that's a more realistic trade to draw a comparison with.

Like I said, he didn't miss a game this year due to injury.
    That's fine, but it doesn't change the fact that the wear and tear has been experienced and still presents a concern for the future. He's not suddenly 25-years-old again without those injuries on the record simply because he finished a full season. He's going to be 28, and yes he played the full year last year, but he's got a torn ACL and torn labrum on the history sheet in his medical file, and nothing's going to take that out or erase it.

Maybe we could compromise and have a second-rounder for him? Oh if only message board posters could determine player personnel decisions for franchises....
    Yes, if only it were up to us... the things we could all do...

I'd be willing to compromise up to a third rounder and either a player or a conditional 2008 pick as well, but I simply don't think you can give a first or second this year given the risks associated.

chipperjones is offline Registered User

Maybe we can give a 3rd and Butler.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Check out the their fans posts about this in the link posted above by MauiRam. Most fans seem to think he is still a very good DT. Interesting to get their perspective.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Rams tapping Carolina, Spoon, Draft and if we can get Jenkins. Kinda what the lions have done to us.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

alot of guys keep bringing up his injuries, he played the entire season last year,so i say you put that on the back burner, remember Bulger was out for sometime the season before last with a bad shoulder,if he should get hit on that shoulder or sacked and lands on that shoulder,he could be all done yet no one has a problem signing him to a hugh deal to keep him here.injuries are part of football and if you don't sign guys because they might get hurt then your team will be in need of some players.i believe we have 10 picks, what the hell is the big deal about giving a couple of them away to get an established pro bowl player.
    Last edited by jkramsfan; -04-07-2007 at 08:18 PM.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Facing-The-Giant View Post
    Being health 1 year out of the past 3 years is not the insurance we need. I am not saying I don't want him, just I don't want to give up high draft picks. 3rd and 4th and a 5th next year would work for me.
    i totally agree with you, nothing higher than a #3 pick,but not trying to get him because of past injuries i think is stupid.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    While we appreciate the head's up on Jenkins and certainly welcome you to the forum Pantherfan, you're in all likelihood not getting anything near a first rounder for a guy who has missed more games than he's played in the last three seasons. A more realistic goal is a third round pick this year, or a fourth rounder in 2007 and an additional conditional pick in 2008. Jenkins is far too risky to demand any higher compensation, IMO.

If the Rams give up a first or second round pick for Jenkins, I'll be pretty shocked.
    I agree, there is no chance we give up first, and I would be really shocked if we gave up a second. I would be ok with a 3rd, but I would be real happy with a 4th and a conditional pick in 08.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

IzzyHigh1212 is offline Registered User

I'd like him...but a FIRST ROUND?
    The Rams' front office would have to be insane.
    Yeah, he played all of last year...but he's had those injury problems in the past...He's not worth our first. Maybe Third, but that's even pushin' it.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    Maybe Third, but that's even pushin' it.

Agreed. A 3rd is generous enough on this possible deal. Welcome to the Clan, Izzy!

Panther, thanks for the excellent report on your man Jenkins. I'll stay tuned.

z.nrd Guest

There are a lot of question marks.

Yes he's out of shape now, and in fact, skipped out on a 175,000 bonus rather than show up for offseason workouts.

I read at least one writer in the Charlotte Observer last year who was surprised Jenkins made the pro bowl. He was seen as overweight with diminished production.

Pasquerelli believes that Jenkins just wore out his welcome in Carolina. They have options behind him, clearing him out could clear some cap space, he seems reluctant to join the offseason training program, and the Panthers staff didn't think he played all that well in 2006.

He is not worth a first.

Probably not worth a second.

A third might be high but it's more reasonable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast