throwback week

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Warner cut

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Re: Warner cut

Rams | Warner Cut - from www.KFFL.com
    Tue, 1 Jun 2004 14:38:28 -0700

ESPNews reports the St. Louis Rams have released QB Kurt Warner.

WisRamsFan is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

Rams release two-time NFL MVP

By R.B. FALLSTROM, AP Sports Writer
    June 1, 2004

AP - Jun 1, 3:48 pm EDT
    More Photos

ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Kurt Warner's storybook stay with the St. Louis Rams ended Tuesday, but he's unlikely to be out of work for long.

The release of the two-time NFL MVP, who led the Rams to two Super Bowls, leaves Marc Bulger as the team's No. 1 quarterback. Bulger took over as the starter for good after Warner fumbled six times in last year's season opener.

Coincidentally, that game was against the New York Giants, the team likely to sign Warner to ease Eli Manning's transition to the NFL. Warner has not started and won a regular-season game since 2001, going 0-6 in 2002 and losing that one game last season.

Bulger, who is 18-4 as the Rams regular-season starter, signed a four-year, $19.1 million contract in April as the first major sign that Warner would not be back. The team also signed backup Chris Chandler to a free-agent deal, and excused Warner from a three-day minicamp last month, all of which made Tuesday's news less than a blockbuster event.

Mark Bartelstein, Warner's agent, said that Jay Zygmunt, the Rams' president of football operations, told him that the team had filed the necessary papers with the NFL office.

``I think there's a lot of mixed emotions,'' Bartelstein said. ``He's had so much success and such a great relationship with everyone in St. Louis.

``It's an unbelievable chapter in his life and an unbelievable chapter in the NFL. To leave that, I think, is hard, but he's in the prime of his career.''

ADVERTISEMENT

Bartelstein said four or five teams remained in the running for Warner's services, although most signs point to him signing with New York. He expected Warner, likely the biggest name to enter the second phase of free agency, would sign by the end of the week.

``Teams are calling all the time,'' Bartelstein said. ``Kurt and I kind of have a preference, where we think is the best fit, and we're going to see if we can get that worked out.

``If we can, great, and if not, there's other choices.''

By signing less than two months from the start of training camp, Warner is unlikely to get any guarantees of playing time. From that standpoint, the Giants might be the best fit right now.

``In June you're never going to find a place where someone says 'Our quarterback situation is wide open,''' Bartelstein said. ``I also know if Kurt goes and plays the way he's capable of playing, and he helps the team win and win big it doesn't really matter who's waiting in the wings.

``Kurt is going to be the guy.''

Warner, who turns 33 on June 22, led the Rams to Super Bowls in 1999 and 2001, but has been plagued by injuries since.

By waiting until now to cut Warner, the Rams will spread their salary cap hit over two years instead of one. He'll cost them $4.6 million this year and $6.7 million in 2005. His contract called for a $9.5 million salary this year.

Warner, undrafted out of Northern Iowa but an Arena League star, got the Rams' starting quarterback job in 1999 after Trent Green had a season-ending knee injury in the preseason. The Rams had endured a decade of losing seasons before Warner led the NFL with 41 touchdown passes, helping the team finish 13-3.

Warner also was the Super Bowl MVP after a 23-16 victory over the Tennessee Titans.

In 2001, Warner led the Rams to a 14-2 record, although St. Louis lost to the underdog New England Patriots in the Super Bowl.

Nothing much has gone right for Warner since then. He missed half of the 2002 season with hand injuries, throwing only three touchdown passes with 11 interceptions. That gave Bulger his first chance to shine with victories in his first six career starts.

Warner appeared to have regained his form last year with a strong preseason before his stumbling start in New York. Bulger never gave the Rams a reason to reconsider Warner the rest of the year

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Alright, it's done. I think we screwed up, but that's not the point. KW is gone. Bulger is our starting QB. Now even a die-hard 13 fan like myself has to say let's move on. Go 10 & go Rams!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

vicdan is offline Registered User

That's it let's move on good bye Kurt and good luck but
    let's go Bulger and Rams it's time to prove on

Blacktrout Guest

Were screwed.

Trout

Shale Guest

Very sad day. Good luck Kurt, prove the doubters wrong!

majorram is offline Registered User

Ok I'm moving on BUT with a heavy heart .... Good luck Kurt thanks for the memeries!!!!

steve :ramlogo:

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Angry Re: Warner cut

We were sitting here playing Tennessee Hold-em (don't ask right now), when someone said "time to move on." I could not bluff any longer.

I want to move on, but sMartz is still here while Warner isn't. When history is recorded, they will tell of the day that sMartz showed his naked stupidity for all to see, and none of sMartz' men will be able to tell fans any longer that he is TOO wearing clothes.

Because releasing Warner under the circumstances sMartz created, sMartz' bare-ass naked stupidity is there for all except the blind to see. June 1st - truly a day of infamy.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Wow everyone, when I woke up this morning guess what? The sun rose.

We survived without Warner last year, and we won the division. You don't have to like Martz, but some of you are right. He's a very smart man. Just look at his record.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Glad there is sun where you are TX ... the sun didn't rise here, black clouds, pouring down rain, and I lost another po, but alas one of the king's men has cried out again ... ' but the emporeror IS wearing clothes' ...

Good for you TX ... a man of convictions ... but, as will be my conviction, the Rams won NOT because of sMartz, but INSPITE of him ... I know ... we disagree ... what's new with you ... can you get the sun to rise over here too?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Wow everyone, when I woke up this morning guess what? The sun rose.

We survived without Warner last year, and we won the division. You don't have to like Martz, but some of you are right. He's a very smart man. Just look at his record.
    Heh, good point. I'm not happy to see Warner go at all, but this definitely isn't the end of the world. Still, always sad to see a player like Kurt have to leave.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

1st & Goal Guest

Thumbs up Re: Warner cut

This team has seen it's share of star players & coaches come and go. What remains constant is the following of true Blue & Gold fans. This does not mean you have to like the coach or the QB but you do not wish ill will to them either. True Blue & Gold fans will support the team through the good and the bad times.

sbramfan Guest

I think I saw some lightning when this became official!

hmmm...

RMFN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by vicdan
    That's it let's move on good bye Kurt and good luck but
    let's go Bulger and Rams it's time to prove on

I agree. Warner was a BIG part of the Rams, but now he is gone. Good Luck but I won't lose any sleep over him leaving. Go Bulger Go Rams

lakerams Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 1st & Goal
    True Blue & Gold fans will support the team through the good and the bad times.
    well said. time to support the BAD days again.

by the way, I like your user ID. it's a microcosm of last years season.

1st & goal and unable to put it in.

by the way TX, the record does not always mean the HC is a great coach. everyone is always saying that it's not the HC's fault if the players don't execute. well, they same thing goes the other way as well. sometimes the players execute something despite the HC's play calling. and sometimes the opponent chokes away the game. there were plenty of games the Rams could've ( and probably should've ) lost last year ( i.e. Baltimore ) that they actually won. the record could've easily been 8-8 and you wouldn't be repeating the same thing over and over again like a broken record player ( look at his record, look at his record, look at his record ).

I'm so glad that a 12-4 record and a playoff loss ( that should've been a win ) is more than adequate for you, but for most of us, it's not. we all know they are capable of much more and that's why we are not content with a 12-4 record when they should've been SB bound.

it's the same reason why we are upset the Rams don't have 2 championships ( and that puke Brady does ). and that one was the HC's fault. if he would've called the game everyone was saying he should call ( i.e. Faulk running the ball 30+ times ), the Rams would've won the game. everyone knew going into the game that the Patriots weakness was stopping the run and that their strength was in the passing game. but, just as we've all seen before, Martz ego got in the way. he wanted to prove to all the reporters and media that his passing scheme was greater than Belicheck's defense. well, he was wrong ( just like the reports said ). huh, maybe they do know what they are talking about.

so, the record doesn't mean jack sh-- if you don't do something with it.

if I was a Lions fan last year, and they went 12-4 and lost in the 1st round, I would agree with your point ( because they would've over-achieved ). but not with what the Rams have. we expect more because we know they are better than anyone in the NFC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast