masi is offline Registered User

Warner vs. Marino

Yesterday i had a discussion with a friend who is a huge Dan Marino's fan. He said that Dan's records will never nbe broken and that our Kurt Warner should be renamed Kurt "one-year-wonder" Warner, because he'll not be able to repeat 1999 and 2000 numbers.
    I think Kurt has all the skills to reach and surpass most of the Marino achievements, and i'm realy convinced that without the injury, a lot of Marino's record would have already be broken last season.

And... Kurt has one thing marino will never have: a ring :cool: :cool: :cool:

14darams is offline Registered User
    As long as Kurt continues to win games, I dont care.
    But of course we all know Kurt is better

Mmm, Marino has not been as fragile as Warner so that might end up a factor. Then you have to say that Marino never had the surrounding cast that Warner has. Marino had the stronger arm, I think.

remember that Warner has only been a starter for 2 years and look what he has done. I would say this is because he has the warner brothers surrounding him.

then, Marino had those three wr's as well, mmmmmm

Marino has a stronger arm but i have never seen a quarterback with the combination of quickness on the ball release and the accuracy like Warner.
    I remember seeing Warner throws the first games of 1999 season and thinking "this video of the game has been edited and speed increased".
    Marino was more durable, even though the last couple of years he was an "average" qb, and this was his best weapon to put up numbers, but speaking of "performance" i think Warner is more affordable and continuous.ù
    Then we *do have* a rushing game, so Warner should have less pressure on him.

DJRamFan is offline Registered User
    It's an interesting question, however with my love for warner and the Rams aside, i'd like to take an outsider look at this...

1. No one should be compared to Marino, Elway, Montana, etc.-they're untouchables.

2. Marino was fresh out of college when he became productive while Warner spent some time in Iowa and Amsterdam before he hit Rams Park.

3. Marino's records will fall, maybe not in any of our lifetimes, but records were meant to be broken.

and lastly...
    4. Warner is definitely not a one year wonder. If you look at his numbers in the games he did play in last year, he had a stellar performance. Tell your friend to look at Kurt's ring finger, then Marino's ring finger, he might see something different.

Warner and Green combined broked the record for passing yards combined in a season.

Warner unfortunately will not break Marino's records, but if you asked Dan, he'd tell you he'd give up each record for what Kurt wears around his finger.

Warner and Marino are like apples and oranges, both will get the job done, but look entirely different.

They do have similar QB-ing styles though in that they are not runners, but have a killer arm.

Warner's here to stay, that's for sure.
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions

14darams is offline Registered User
    Warner also didnt get his break until his late 20's so his career Numbers will never match Dans

Yes, i agree that Kurt will never reach Dan's career numbers, but i'm ready to bet something he will beat a lot of single season records.
    Just because "IN THE SINGLE SEASON" Warner is more reliable than Marino, and Kurt will have more standout single seasons than Dan had. (He's currently 2 on 2 in seasons started vs. outstanding seasons)

There's one thing i don't agree with, though: Marino, M*****a and Elway are NOT untouchables. Or better... Warner will become untouchable as well

I still think, like Marino .... Warners success will depend on his

1) coach ..... can you honestly say he would have flurished under any other coach ????

2) his supporting cast

3) his fragilness (word??)

DJRamFan is offline Registered User
    By untouchables I just meant, they are good in their own right and will go down in history as all time greats. It's tough to compare those guys because they all were outstanding in their own way...

Single Season...some records are all ready broken...others are beginning to tip a bit too...He will definitely be more reliable and productive in the regular season than Dan.

Warner's definitely been blessed with a great Offense. MF provides stability at RB that Marino rarely, if ever had. Coach-wise, Martz will let Warner flourish, unlike JJ in DM's final days.
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions