AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Warner's absence not on Rams' list of problems

The Rams have a lot of problems that will need to be quickly addressed:

1. The offensive line must be solidified. Pace needs to be signed and the team needs to decide who is going to start at LG and RT from the group of Dishman, King, Tercero and Williams. Even with Wohlobaugh and Turley out, once Pace returns there will be enough talented individuals on the roster. But none of that will matter until a UNIT is selected and allowed to come together.

2. The defensive line needs to play better. From what I saw last night, Flowers will not make it as an every down DE. He just can't hold up on the run against OTs. Fisher was a little better, as was Hargrove. Toyoka Jackson should get more playing time, and possibly even start.

3. Fisher's injury must be addressed. In all likelihood, that will mean Garrett starting at CB. He has great speed and had some good plays last night. But he'll need help, and Groce needs to get healthy and contribute.

4. Martz needs to make a decision on the WRs. From what I've seen, McDonald and Curtis are ready to contribute, and should get some playing time over Furrey and Looker.

5. Bulger needs to be more decisive. There's no doubt he can carve up a defense when he has time to throw, but when he doesn't, he must do a better job of improvising, even if that simply means launching the ball out of bounds.

Kurt Warner does not appear on this list and never will. Kurt would not help with problems 1 through 4, and from what I've seen in the Giants preseason games, there's no reason to presume that he would solve problem #5 if he were still here.

If Warner fanatics want to blame every problem the Rams have on Warner's absence, that's their choice. That choice has nothing whatsoever to do with reality, though.

gap Guest

Re: Warner's absence not on Rams' list of problems

I am not saying Warner is the answer. What I am saying is that Bulger isn't the answer. I am also saying that a new coach may be the answer if Martz can't find a way to change how he calls a game, and how he uses the personnel he has to work with.

gap

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

The offensive line must be solidified.
    This is most worrisome. WR, CB, OLB, FB, & (to a degree) RB & SS - these are all positions that can be "microwaved", that is a rookie or FA in one of these positions can pick up the game rather quickly and produce at a high level soon out of the gate. O-lines, however, are more "slow roasted", or maybe "crockpotted" (is that a verb?). Time is the only thing that get them past their learning curve. Think of an O-line as one position. We've got to figure out who is going to play that position and get that position set. I thought last year was our "gelling" year, but with injury we now have to endure anther "gel" year. If we can gain some consistency, I'm willing to wait.

Until then, do away with max protect. Max protect isn't going to work any better than min protect, and in fact it gives Bulger fewer options. If he's going to get hit anyway, he might as well have an additional hot route or an RB in the flats to hit. It worked from '99 - '01, may be time to revisit until the O-line finishes its slow-roasting.

Kurt Warner does not appear on this list and never will. Kurt would not help with problems 1 through 4, and from what I've seen in the Giants preseason games, there's no reason to presume that he would solve problem #5 if he were still here.
    Do we really have to go through these motions again?
    3. Fisher's injury must be addressed. In all likelihood, that will mean Garrett starting at CB. He has great speed and had some good plays last night. But he'll need help, and Groce needs to get healthy and contribute.
    He's going to get caught up on runs to the outside, but I think he will be fine on pass defense. Losing Fish sucks, but Garrett will be better than some think. He will be starting next year anyway, regardless.
    4. Martz needs to make a decision on the WRs. From what I've seen, McDonald and Curtis are ready to contribute, and should get some playing time over Furrey and Looker.
    I couldn't agree more.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    We've got to figure out who is going to play that position and get that position set. I thought last year was our "gelling" year, but with injury we now have to endure anther "gel" year. If we can gain some consistency, I'm willing to wait.
    I agree. I think playing Tercero out of position will hurt his development as a potential starting guard, but when three of your starters are out of camp, what are you gonna do? You can't practice against an imaginary lineman. I'd like to see Williams playing right tackle against the Redskins regardless of whether or not Pace is back at LT, if only because I'd like Williams to get as much experience at his eventual starting position as possible. That would allow Tercero to move back inside, and I think it would best mimic our projected starting offensive line with the exception of Pace at LT.

Do we really have to go through these motions again?
    You tell me. When some of us put up threads talking about the current team and what happened last night, and we're met with responses like...

"MB looked terrible.......and before some of you get on me about the Oline was playing well,my point exactly!They didnt play well for Kurt in game one last year! and he still played a hell of alot better than MB. ..............some of you knew it wouldn't be long before someone like me would post this now didn't you!....... Letting Kurt go will kill us IMPO."

Then yes, it seems we really have to go through these motions.

He will be starting next year anyway, regardless.
    How do you figure? We matched the multi-year offer on Butler, and Fisher isn't in a contract year (at least not that I'm aware of). Are you saying Garrett will win a starting job this season because of Fisher's injury and Garrett's own outstanding play? I can't imagine that Garrett would keep the starting job unless Fisher comes back from injury and looks like a crap sandwich.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    I'd like to see Williams playing right tackle against the Redskins regardless of whether or not Pace is back at LT, if only because I'd like Williams to get as much experience at his eventual starting position as possible. That would allow Tercero to move back inside, and I think it would best mimic our projected starting offensive line with the exception of Pace at LT.
    Wiser words have never been spoken....okay maybe they have, but Nick, you made a great point here. Let's get Williams and Tercero in place now! Leave the fill-in at LT until Pace shows up. I know, it exposes Bulger's blind-side, but hey, he's getting hit from everywhere as it is now.
    You tell me. When some of us put up threads talking about the current team and what happened last night, and we're met with responses like...
    Yea, I know. I figured Angels comment would give life to the "Warner sucks, no Bulger sucks" debate, and I assumed that was what sparked Avengers reply, but I was just hoping we could move on (as the popular phrase goes). But, I understand, do what you gotta do.
    How do you figure? We matched the multi-year offer on Butler, and Fisher isn't in a contract year (at least not that I'm aware of). Are you saying Garrett will win a starting job this season because of Fisher's injury and Garrett's own outstanding play? I can't imagine that Garrett would keep the starting job unless Fisher comes back from injury and looks like a crap sandwich.
    Fisher is done for the year, which will give Garrett (probably) a full year of experience. That coupled with him having the most upside (IMHO) will be his path to a starting position next year. Granted, it's my speculation, but I think this time next year, Garrett will be our #1 CB. The position battle will be who's the #2 corner, Fisher or Butler.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

theodus69 is offline Registered User

They have got still two weeks of Pre-season and a week or two in the season to pull this together. Injuries are part of football-coach...deal with it! So far this has the makings of a bad year. Could be a little soon to say that,but whoa, what a performance last night! Chemistry is everything. I think if everyone watches close enough, You may see that it really isn't there. We are goona know for sure come week one!!!!!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

woodyramfan1 is offline Registered User

:ramlogo: I totally agree Warner's absense is not even among our problelms. But you know if we don't win the Super Bowl this year we will have all the Warner hanger ons saying it was because he is not here. My thoughts are that we need a new head coach. Mad Mike doesn't seem to have the abilities to get everyone ready and keep his mind on the whole game. God I wish Pace and the Rams would get together and settle this contract thing. We sure need him and hopefully Turley will be able to come back soon. Please all you Warner Hangers On Drop it he is gone and will never be back. The game goes on. :ramlogo:
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=2][COLOR=Navy]woodyramfan1

Leave the fill-in at LT until Pace shows up. I know, it exposes Bulger's blind-side, but hey, he's getting hit from everywhere as it is now.
    I agree. It'd be one thing if the line was protecting him now and making ths switch offered potentially worse protection. But after watching last night's game, you may as well have the sub at LT and get the rest of the line cemented. Who knows, maybe that'll improve things.

Yea, I know. I figured Angels comment would give life to the "Warner sucks, no Bulger sucks" debate, and I assumed that was what sparked Avengers reply, but I was just hoping we could move on (as the popular phrase goes). But, I understand, do what you gotta do.
    I'd like to move on as much as the next person. We should be concentrating on the team we have now, not the team some think we should have had.

Fisher is done for the year, which will give Garrett (probably) a full year of experience. That coupled with him having the most upside (IMHO) will be his path to a starting position next year. Granted, it's my speculation, but I think this time next year, Garrett will be our #1 CB. The position battle will be who's the #2 corner, Fisher or Butler.
    Sounds pretty good to me. It sounds like we'd have a good bit of depth if things play out that way.

sprtsmac is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    I'd like to see Williams playing right tackle against the Redskins regardless of whether or not Pace is back at LT, if only because I'd like Williams to get as much experience at his eventual starting position as possible. That would allow Tercero to move back inside, and I think it would best mimic our projected starting offensive line with the exception of Pace at LT.
    Nick, I totally agree. Have you thought of conveying this wisdom to the Rams? Then again, it makes too much sense so they might just throw it out the window.
    Sprtsmac :football:

Quote Originally Posted by sprtsmac
    Nick, I totally agree. Have you thought of conveying this wisdom to the Rams? Then again, it makes too much sense so they might just throw it out the window.
    Heh, the closest I can get is probably asking Howard about it. Which, actually, I'll do right now...