Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Warren Sapp on Rams: Write 'Em Off

Warren Sapp: Write off Browns, Chiefs Lions, Raiders and Rams
    02:02 AM Yahoo! Buzz

Warren Sapp didn't need to see much tape from Week 1 to stick a fork in five NFL teams.

"There's a certain amount of teams that this season is over before it ever begins," the 13-year defensive tackle said on Showtime's Inside the NFL on Wednesday night. "We're talking about Detroit, St. Louis, Kansas City, Cleveland, Oakland.

"Those five right there, write 'em off. You talking about blackouts -- be happy (fans of those teams) that you got a blackout, maybe they'll beam a game that means something to you."

The quintet of teams Sapp listed all lost their openers, though only the Rams looked totally hapless in the process after getting whitewashed 28-0 in Seattle.

Sapp, who ended his career with the Raiders, is known for making strong statements, but fellow analyst Phil Simms piled on, too, though somewhat tongue-in-cheek: "Well, I really can't argue that point." -- Nate Davis

DistantRam is offline Registered User

Re: Warren Sapp on Rams: Write 'Em Off

Why is there such a fascination with what the media says?

Let's just focus on our football; that's all that matters, after all.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I would like to think that we will surprise some of these so-called "experts" before the year is out. I never had any aspirations of making the playoffs this year, but I'm thinking that as we solidify as a team with Spags system, we'll win a few games that we were expected to lose. Despite week #1 being a bust I believe in our team and cannot wait for the season to unfold. Hang-in there my fellow Clanners, the season is but 1 week old, much more football to play!

Go Rams!

P.S. did Sapp go back to smoking dope again?? (LOL)

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Sapp is still pizzed that we knocked the Bucs out in 1999 ...

There is no merit to anything that lard sack has to say, one of the most overrated players of all time ...

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by DistantRam View Post
    Why is there such a fascination with what the media says?

Let's just focus on our football; that's all that matters, after all.
    I found it amusing and thought others might too. I'll bet it becomes bulletin board material for the Rams locker room.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Haha. Sapp is trash. Just ignore him.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I'm not a fan of Sapp, never was. But if what he was saying was; "none of these teams had a real shot at the playoffs this year, so right them off as possible contenders".

I would have to agree.

Let's be real. This list includes the worst teams in the league and none were expected to really challenge this year, Rams included. It hurts to hear something like that when OUR team is included, and it's natural to fire back, but if after 8 games three or four of these teams are not experiencing home game blackouts (if not sooner) I'll be surprised.

It sucks to hear, or read these things from former players, but you have to take it with a grain of salt and move on. It doesn't change how I feel about my team, and I'll still make my weekly trip down to the local sports bar for my weekly dose of Rams football. I know I'll have more bad Sundays this year than good, but I'll still be there. Hoping.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

If he's talking about the playoffs then by all means write us off. I'm sure nobody here realistically thought we were going to the playoffs anyway. I certainly didn't think so.

We're in full re-build mode. Can anybody tell me when a team in any sport made the playoffs after being in full re-build mode?

I take no offense in his statement, because it's no revelation to me to begin with.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Warren Sapp may be opinionated but calling him one of the most overated players of all times is way off base. He was an incredibly disruptive player and the core of a very dominant defense for a very long time.

I agree with the prior post that none of those teams listed has a chance to make the playoffs. If that is Sapp's point, i dont see how anyone can disagree. No reason we cant keep the faith and fight every week, but realistically, the talent level just isnt there right now for any of those teams.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Shut up Sapp... Why don't you get in more fights with Joanna Cruppa. Absoloutley noone cares about your opinion on Chris Long or the Rams as whole. I hate good players who switch to the booth and all of a sudden think they know everything about the game. Here's a headline you don't !!!

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

It's easy to say something that's obvious, the only star the Rams have is Steven Jackson.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

I thought Oakland looked pretty good on monday. They barely lost to a team people are picking to be in the AFC championship game. It's still a little early to completely write those teams off but it's a pretty safe bet none of these teams will make the playooffs.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

^^^ I agree with this.

I count Sapp's comments as being completely off base solely on the fact that the Raiders actually played pretty well and should have won their game vs. San Diego. Aside from this, the season is one game old and anything can happen. The Dolphins lost their first two games last year and I'm sure plenty of people wrote them off. We still have a shot, regardless of whether Warren Sapp thinks so or not.

blood85 is offline Registered User

remember this is the same idiot who wanted to fight a former packers headcoach

DistantRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I found it amusing and thought others might too. I'll bet it becomes bulletin board material for the Rams locker room.
    I wasn't referring to this thread in prticular, Mike. It's just a general point: people make far too much of what know-nothing types in the media think.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course, and there are some "experts" and former players who are paid an awful lot of money for them, but that doesn't mean that they are right. Surely the drivel spouted by Sapp, Emmitt Smith et al must illustrate that just because someone is paid to do something, it doesn't mean that they're any good at it.

"Professionals know best" is one of the great myths of contemporary society and it really needs to be debased.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast