r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Washington Hopes Fame Spreads

Washington hopes fame spreads

BY BILL COATS
    Thursday, September 30, 2010

New Rams running back Chauncey Washington insists he was renowned even before his prominent role on this summer's "Hard Knocks," an HBO all-access series that follows an NFL team during training camp.

"I think I was famous before that. Just maybe you guys didn't know about me," Washington told reporters here Wednesday, a day after the Rams signed him off the New York Jets' practice squad. "But on the West Coast, I'm famous."

Washington began to build his reputation at South Torrance (Calif.) High, where he rushed for 1,549 yards on just 140 carries ó he missed five games with a knee injury ó his senior year.

In 2003, he was part of a highly acclaimed recruiting class at Southern California that also included running backs Reggie Bush and LenDale White.

"I've watched him since he was about 14 or 15 years old grow up as a running back, and he's always been a natural, instinctive guy with good toughness and big-play ability," said Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll, who brought Washington to USC. "I know he had a good camp with the Jets playing behind some really good players there, and this opportunity is great for Chauncey. I'm sure he'll do well in this one."

The 5-foot-11, 215-pound Washington, 25, was drafted by Jacksonville in the seventh round in 2008. He got into six games as a rookie, mostly on special teams. He spent last season with Dallas before moving on to the Jets.

Washington said he was "very surprised" that he wasn't included on the Jets' 53-man roster. "I think I worked my way up there and I believe I earned a spot on that team," he said. "But at the end of the day, I don't make that decision."

Washington was stuck behind LaDainian Tomlinson and Shonn Greene in New York. Ex-Mizzou star Brad Smith also gets some carries for the Jets.

Although Washington was signed just two days after running back Steven Jackson suffered a groin injury in Sunday's 30-16 victory over the Redskins, his initial assignment with the Rams will be on special teams.

Special-teams coach Tom McMahon is "trying to get him up to speed with that first," coach Steve Spagnuolo said. "We'll see where that is first, then at the end of week have to make a decision" on whether Washington will suit up Sunday, when the Rams host Seattle.

Injury update

Jackson sat out practice Wednesday, although he took part in conditioning drills on the side. "He's day to day," Spagnuolo said. "I trust Steven; I have all along. ... We want to make sure we don't push it."

Others out were safety Oshiomogho Atogwe (thigh), wide receiver Laurent Robinson (foot), defensive tackle Darell Scott (ankle), tight end Billy Bajema (knee), tight end Michael Hoomanawanui (ankle), linebacker Chris Chamberlain (toe), defensive tackle Clifton Ryan (migraines) and safety Darian Stewart (hamstring).

Craig Dahl (concussion) returned to practice, although he was held out of contact drills. He's expected to be full-go today.

Darby with first team

Kenneth Darby, who ran for 49 yards in the second half, including a 12-yard touchdown, in relief of Jackson on Sunday, got most of the work with the first-team offense Wednesday, although rookie Keith Toston was sprinkled in, too.

Still, Darby insisted that "my week is the same; nothing's changed. Before all this happened, I always took each week, each day of practice, as if I was going to start, even though I knew that may not happen. ... Just be ready whenever."

Darby called scoring his first touchdown his top NFL highlight ó so far. "I really haven't had too many highlights in the NFL," he said. "But I've got a lot more to come."

And, he promised, he'll have a celebration planned for his next score. "I've got something coming," he said. "I already know what I'm going to do; it's going to be a surprise to everybody else."

Pressed for a hint, Darby said, "It's got to do with a shark; I'll just say that."

Tickets remain

The deadline to meet the NFL sellout requirement is noon today. With several thousand tickets remaining, the Rams could seek a 24-hour extension, as they did last week before avoiding a local-television blackout for the game against Washington.
    Last edited by r8rh8rmike; -09-30-2010 at 03:26 PM.

BrokenWing is online now Registered User

Re: Washington Hopes Fame Spreads

A shark? Better score, I want to see this...Although I did think just freaking out and screaming a lot was a pretty good celebration too.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

And, he promised, he'll have a celebration planned for his next score. "I've got something coming," he said. "I already know what I'm going to do; it's going to be a surprise to everybody else."
    Love Darby's attitude and desire, but I'm not a fan at all of planned TD celebrations. That said, I'm hoping he gets to do his celebration multiple times on Sunday.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Hope Darby does the stanky legg like what Avery did last year.