Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By tomahawk247
  • 1 Post By NJ Ramsfan1
  • 1 Post By Curly Horns
  • 1 Post By ZiaRam
  • 1 Post By tomahawk247

Thread: Watching the playoffs made me realise how much...

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Watching the playoffs made me realise how much...

Sam Bradford needs better help at the receiver position

People like Schaub, Flacco, Dalton and Luck all struggled for various different reasons in their playoff matches. But every now and then they would get a decent completion downfield to a wide open receiver. Or they would just throw it up to a guy like Green, Wayne or Boldin, and the guy would make the catch, even in tight coverage. The throws weren't great by any means, and could have been picked off, but they got away with it because of the guy making the reception

Bradford doesn't have any guys that he can trust like that. He hasn't got anyone he can just lob the ball up to and expect them to come down with it. Now, sure, he can probably do with trusting his guys to make plays a bit more. But after three years of not seeing it happen, why should he?

Now obviously, the guy on the roster that would fit the type of receiver is Brian Quick.
    The Rams really need him to develop.

But they need another bid bodied type who can make the tough catches on 3rd downs and in the red zone. I wouldn't be surprised to see that guy be a tight end to play behind Kendricks.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Re: Watching the playoffs made me realise how much...

Schaub, Flacco, and Luck all have top notch WR's (Johnson, Boldin, & Wayne) because their teams weren't afraid to pay for them. Even though Andre Johnson and Reggie Wayne were drafted by their respected teams, those teams had to pay them big contracts to keep them. I believe Boldin was traded for, but even then the Ravens gave him a big contract. Obviously Cincy struck gold when they drafted AJ Green, but eventually they'll have to resign him to retain his services. Unfortunately the Rams have been unwilling to sign (or even trade for) a top-notch pass catcher the past couple years, and I kinda have a feeling the trend will continue this year. With Greg Jennings, Bowe, and Mike Wallace all free agents at the end of the year, I'd like to see the Rams at least make an attempt to sign one of them. IMO it makes more sense to sign a "known" product than to draft an "unknown"... just look at the impact Vincent Jackson had on the Bucs last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie25 View Post
    Schaub, Flacco, and Luck all have top notch WR's (Johnson, Boldin, & Wayne) because their teams weren't afraid to pay for them. Even though Andre Johnson and Reggie Wayne were drafted by their respected teams, those teams had to pay them big contracts to keep them. I believe Boldin was traded for, but even then the Ravens gave him a big contract. Obviously Cincy struck gold when they drafted AJ Green, but eventually they'll have to resign him to retain his services. Unfortunately the Rams have been unwilling to sign (or even trade for) a top-notch pass catcher the past couple years, and I kinda have a feeling the trend will continue this year. With Greg Jennings, Bowe, and Mike Wallace all free agents at the end of the year, I'd like to see the Rams at least make an attempt to sign one of them. IMO it makes more sense to sign a "known" product than to draft an "unknown"... just look at the impact Vincent Jackson had on the Bucs last year.
    Don't think the Rams have been unwilling to pay or trade for a top notch WR. They have been unwilling to overpay though. They made efforts to sign a WR last year, such as Meachem, Manningham and Garcon, but it didn't work out. Jackson didn't look anywhere except Tampa. It's not as easy as you make it sound
    ZiaRam likes this.

Fastcat is offline Registered User

And you have to understand a guy has to WANT to come here. Why would anyone want to come here the past 6 or 7yrs?? Think about it. And the guys that did come here prior Fisher, were over paid and they under played. EVERYONE except for Dahl. And another exception is the lower tier guys who got their shot to actually play in a meaningful NFL game (Gibson, amendola, and whoever else we picked up off the street or practice squad).

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    And you have to understand a guy has to WANT to come here. Why would anyone want to come here the past 6 or 7yrs?? Think about it. And the guys that did come here prior Fisher, were over paid and they under played. EVERYONE except for Dahl. And another exception is the lower tier guys who got their shot to actually play in a meaningful NFL game (Gibson, amendola, and whoever else we picked up off the street or practice squad).
    I believe that line of thinking is changing. The Rams are no longer a laughingstock. They have an owner and management in place who want to win. Jeff Fisher is a player's coach who still commands respect. People will want to come here, believe me.

And yesterday, Indy's receivers did NOT play well. They dropped AT LEAST 7 balls on Luck- several at critical junctures- and were intimidated by Baltimore, in my opinion. Even Reggie Wayne, who had over 100 yards, had a couple of costly drops. And our boy Donnie Avery was part and parcel of that failure.

No question, however, that upgrading the position of receiver remains high priority for the Rams.
    ZiaRam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I believe that line of thinking is changing. The Rams are no longer a laughingstock. They have an owner and management in place who want to win. Jeff Fisher is a player's coach who still commands respect. People will want to come here, believe me.

And yesterday, Indy's receivers did NOT play well. They dropped AT LEAST 7 balls on Luck- several at critical junctures- and were intimidated by Baltimore, in my opinion. Even Reggie Wayne, who had over 100 yards, had a couple of costly drops. And our boy Donnie Avery was part and parcel of that failure.

No question, however, that upgrading the position of receiver remains high priority for the Rams.
    Wayne had some decent grabs, so did Dwayne Allen. Hilton is a pretty decent weapon too. I still think they were better than what Bradford gets out of his guys. They had a fair few drops, but Luck did throw the ball 50 times or something ridiculous

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Unfortunately the Rams have been unwilling to sign (or even trade for) a top-notch pass catcher the past couple years, and I kinda have a feeling the trend will continue this year. With Greg Jennings, Bowe, and Mike Wallace all free agents at the end of the year, I'd like to see the Rams at least make an attempt to sign one of them. IMO it makes more sense to sign a "known" product than to draft an "unknown"... just look at the impact Vincent Jackson had on the Bucs last year.

Maybe we sign a veteran wideout, and maybe not. If we have to pay crazy money, it's likely the Rams will pass. It appears this team is being built for the long haul.

I can't guarantee you which wide receiver taken in the 2013 draft will be a star in his first NFL season, but chances are there will be at least one. It is finding and drafting those "unknowns" that separate good teams from the also-rans. I like our chances in the draft with our current leadership.

Used to be that players did not want to play for the Rams - that appears to no longer be the case. It will be very interesting to see who we end up with in free agency .. Who would you rather have - Jake Long or Bowe/Jennings?

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Watching the playoffs made me.....

Wonder how are we possibly going to get good enough to join the dance next year?

We need improved play across the board on offense. Many here believe Sam needs better weapons and better protection in order to improve. Well I'm not going to argue that, but how are we going to get those weapons and protection?

The draft? It's possible, but the draft is also a crap shoot. What's more skill position players and lineman often take time to develop. So, I wonder if the draft alone will be enough.

FA? Well, I'm reading that the Rams have very little cap room to play with. I've also read it's possible they have some wiggle room if the players and their prices are right. I think they are going to have to find some help in the free agent avenue if we want to get Sam some of the surrounding cast improvements that he needs.

Not to mention the defense could use some upgrades.

I think one of the biggest keys to a possible playoff run next season is vast improvement of the current group. The coaching staff will need to be up to the task and play a major role in the development of this young team.

Fisher and Co you have had your debut - now it's time to show us your worth!!
    MauiRam likes this.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post

I watched Avery throughout that whole game... he played horrible! Please don't let me catch someone mentioning us letting him ago again as a negative thing on these forums!
    Last edited by ZiaRam; -01-08-2013 at 01:59 AM.
    LA Rammer likes this.

I just get tired of people complaining that Sam has no one to throw the ball too, yet the same people complaining are the ones who don't want to pay for a top-notch WR; you can't have it both ways. Sure, might we have to slightly overpay for someone like Mike Wallace or Bowe? Of course... but if overpaying for a position of need is the difference between an 8-8 team and a team that makes the playoffs, i'd pick the playoff team every year. Hell, this is the NFL, where every player who's worth a damn is pretty much overpaid. Just look at Sam Bradford himself for further proof.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Hell, this is the NFL, where every player who's worth a damn is pretty much overpaid. Just look at Sam Bradford himself for further proof.
    Although I agree with the rest of your post, It's Sam's fault when he got drafted the old rookie scale system was in place? In the league currently you will pay 10 mill plus for a QB. Vick 16mill? Kolb 13 mill? I'd take him everytime over most of anyone even RG3 with his 13 mill dollar he got paid.
    Last edited by ZiaRam; -01-08-2013 at 02:10 AM.

I just get tired of people complaining that Sam has no one to throw the ball too, yet the same people complaining are the ones who don't want to pay for a top-notch WR; you can't have it both ways. Sure, might we have to slightly overpay for someone like Mike Wallace or Bowe? Of course... but if overpaying for a position of need is the difference between an 8-8 team and a team that makes the playoffs, i'd pick the playoff team every year. Hell, this is the NFL, where every player who's worth a damn is pretty much overpaid. Just look at Sam Bradford himself for further proof.
    Are Bowe and Wallace really top notch though? That's the question the Rams and every other team are asking. If they were top notch, like really truly top tier WRs, then there would be no way they would be hitting the free agent market. They certainly aren't Calvin Johnson/Andre Johnson level.
    PARamfan likes this.

True, it seems that unless they have attitude problems, most great receivers tend to resign with their original teams with huge contracts. Anyways, those Megatron/Fitzgerald types only come into the league every couple years or so. Granted, Bowe and Wallace are definitely not top tier receivers, but they are difference makers, and thats what this team needs