r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Watercooler Question: What Are The Rams' Biggest Concerns?

08.25.2009 12:39 pm
    What are Rams’ biggest concerns?
    By Roger Hensley

THE WATERCOOLER

QUESTION: If you were Rams head coach Steve Spagnuolo, after watching the first two preseason games what would be your biggest area(s) of concern?

JIM THOMAS
    If you can’t stop the run, you will not win consistently in the NFL. As a defensive oriented coach, Spagnuolo had to be concerned about the run defense — or lack thereof — against Atlanta. Especially after all those live tackling drills and an entire preseason spent trying to establish an attitude.

BILL COATS
    The first-team offense’s inability to score a touchdown so far. Even though that unit was missing several key players Friday vs. the Falcons, it still was in Atlanta territory four times and produced only a single field goal. The week before, the first unit delivered two field goals vs. the Jets. That’s a lot of wasted opportunity and certainly no recipe for success.

JEFF GORDON
    Run defense. The offensive line wasn’t great in Week 2, either, but it was missing Jacob Bell and Alex Barron to start the game. The defense had the bulk of its front seven rotation healthy and it couldn’t even slow down the first-unit Atlanta running game. If this team doesn’t improve there, it is looking at double-digit losses again. A LOT of money has been spent on shoring up that D, so it’ll be interesting to watch what happens the next two weeks.

KEVIN WHEELER (Host of “Sports Open Line” on KMOX)
    My biggest concern would be the defensive line and cornerback. I can give the offense a little bit of a break from the last game because they were without their starting QB and two first-team offensive linemen, but the defense was shredded by the Falcons. It’s important to note that the Falcons are a very strong offensive team and they’re going to do that kind of stuff to other teams in the regular season, but without a stout run defense it’s hard for me to see the team improving much. That starts on the line. As for corner, well, it may be time to move on from Tye Hill. If he doesn’t show something Thursday in Cincy this armchair QB would have to bump him down the depth chart a couple of spots.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Re: Watercooler Question: What Are The Rams' Biggest Concerns?

All valid points by these guys. My four biggest concerns (in order):

1. Offensive Line- Our Achilles heel the last two years. The problems are well documented. Steps have been taken to address this as an area of weakness. Jacob Bell must justify his signing and stay healthy. Alex Barron must eliminate false start penalties and make an adjustment to the left side- if the coaches put him there. Richie Incognito, a decent talent, must cut out the foolish penalties. It all starts up front: No offensive Line, no success- simple as that.

2. Defensive Line- We lack that big run stuffer in the middle and have no dominant tackle to speak of. You MUST stop the run in the NFL or you won't win. Adam Carriker, while certainly not a bust, has not shown he's a great player. He must stay healthy and take the next step. Chris Long must follow up a decent rookie season with a better sophomore campaign. Leonard Little must show he has something left in the tank. Spags will bring the fiery, swarming mentality to the mix, but these guys must implement it.

3. Wide Receiver- A long time strength with hall of famers Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt, it is now a position in transition if you will. We used to be so deep here that we could afford to lose a Kevin Curtis or a Mike Furrey or a Shaun McDonald and not miss a beat. Now it is very much an unknown quantity. Avery shows great promise and Burton looks like he could be decent, but they are very much a work in progress. Time will tell.

4. Bulger- Let's face it: We need this guy to be successful. He is unquestionably the best QB on the roster and has a track record of success several years back. He must shake the cobwebs and exorcise the demons from the last two miserable Rams' seasons.

I truly think a lot of pieces are in place, starting with Billy Devaney and Steve Spagnuolo. I'm thoroughly convinced these are the right two guys to be making the decisions and they have a blueprint for success. We have a young roster that shows promise in a lot of areas. Hopefully, the weaknesses are worked on and the Rams will steadily make the climb to being the successful team they were in the early part of the decade.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Bill Coats is a freaking moron.

Our first team offense hasn't really played yet!

Bulger had little play time in his one game.

Jackson has amassed like five total carries.

Avery has been out.

We haven't really seen our starting O-line play.

What a jackass.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

Ramer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    Bill Coats is a freaking moron.

Our first team offense hasn't really played yet!

Bulger had little play time in his one game.

Jackson has amassed like five total carries.

Avery has been out.

We haven't really seen our starting O-line play.

What a jackass.
    Couldn't have said it better!

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

the offensive line has to be a concern, getting everyone healthy.

general counsel is offline Registered User

In general terms, the biggest concerns this team has are offensive line, defensive line and health (given that our depth is highly suspect).

More specifically, pass rush, stopping the run, red zone play and run blocking are most critical. I am most worried about whether our defense can get off the field. Our best shot at improved defense is shortening the game with a solid running game. Pass protection will be fine if we can run. If we cant run and if we are in 3rd and long all the time bulger will get killed. If we can score tds in the red zone, we can cover a lot of other problems elsewhere. If we cant pressure the passer will are going to really have problems and this worries me quite a bit because leonard little is our only real pass rusher.

The reality is that without a healthy bulger and jackson we are going to have a very very long year. Lets hope for the best in that regard.

I repeat my mantra for the 2009 season- Pound the Big Boy and Pray on Defense!

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    All valid points by these guys. My four biggest concerns (in order):

1. Offensive Line- Our Achilles heel the last two years. The problems are well documented. Steps have been taken to address this as an area of weakness. Jacob Bell must justify his signing and stay healthy. Alex Barron must eliminate false start penalties and make an adjustment to the left side- if the coaches put him there. Richie Incognito, a decent talent, must cut out the foolish penalties. It all starts up front: No offensive Line, no success- simple as that.

2. Defensive Line- We lack that big run stuffer in the middle and have no dominant tackle to speak of. You MUST stop the run in the NFL or you won't win. Adam Carriker, while certainly not a bust, has not shown he's a great player. He must stay healthy and take the next step. Chris Long must follow up a decent rookie season with a better sophomore campaign. Leonard Little must show he has something left in the tank. Spags will bring the fiery, swarming mentality to the mix, but these guys must implement it.

3. Wide Receiver- A long time strength with hall of famers Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt, it is now a position in transition if you will. We used to be so deep here that we could afford to lose a Kevin Curtis or a Mike Furrey or a Shaun McDonald and not miss a beat. Now it is very much an unknown quantity. Avery shows great promise and Burton looks like he could be decent, but they are very much a work in progress. Time will tell.

4. Bulger- Let's face it: We need this guy to be successful. He is unquestionably the best QB on the roster and has a track record of success several years back. He must shake the cobwebs and exorcise the demons from the last two miserable Rams' seasons.

I truly think a lot of pieces are in place, starting with Billy Devaney and Steve Spagnuolo. I'm thoroughly convinced these are the right two guys to be making the decisions and they have a blueprint for success. We have a young roster that shows promise in a lot of areas. Hopefully, the weaknesses are worked on and the Rams will steadily make the climb to being the successful team they were in the early part of the decade.
    Legitimate concerns in my book. It's going to be along season but hopefully we can squeak out 5 wins. Anything more would be a bonus in my opinion.