HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

THE WATERCOOLER: The Rams: Bad coaching, just bad, or both?

10.26.2009 12:29 pm
    The Rams: Bad coaching, just bad, or both?
    By Roger Hensley

THE WATERCOOLER

QUESTION: Do you believe the Rams’ troubles are due simply to a talent deficiency, or would you have expected more progress from this group as they near the halfway point of coach Steve Spagnuolo’s first season?

BERNIE MIKLASZ
    Both. This is the worst roster in the NFL. But even where there is talent, the Rams don’t utilize it properly. One example: giving Steven Jackson only five touches in the second half of the Jacksonville game. (And ignoring Jackson at times in other games.) Another example: not playing No. 2 overall draft pick Jason Smith at left offensive tackle, where he belongs, from the time he checked into camp. And what’s up with this three-man rotation at OT? A third example: as a rookie DE, Chris Long was better in the pass rush than he’s been in this, his second season. Why has he regressed? Isn’t the pass rush supposed to be a Spagnuolo specialty?

JEFF GORDON
    The Rams ARE horrible, make no mistake about it. But there are a lot of bad teams in the NFL this season and the others have found a way to win a game. If these coaches can’t find a way to win a game here or there while rebuilding, why would the next owner want any part of them? Everybody working at Rams Park today must realize that would-be owners are paying attention.

KATHLEEN NELSON
    Few problems in life have simple solutions. The Rams’ talent at wide receiver has been depleted and not replenished over the last three years. Marc Bulger has yet to achieve the level of proficiency that led to two Pro Bowl appearances. Injuries also have set back the team’s progress. The players are learning a new system, and the coaching staff has endured growing pains. Five lopsided losses must be discouraging to fans, though.

BILL COATS
    Obviously, the Rams’ talent pool is very shallow. Still, I did think that by this point, they’d have a couple of wins. I actually thought 7-9 was possible before the season began. That’s probably not going to happen.

KEVIN WHEELER (Host of “Sports Open Line” on KMOX)
    Count me in the group that believes that it’s as simple as not having enough good players. The things Spags is trying to implement have worked extremely well in Philadelphia and New York so there’s no reason they wouldn’t work here if they can get the right players. 99 percent of the time it’s talent that wins in pro sports. Bill Belichick was known as “Beli-choke” when he was the head coach of the Cleveland Browns and he got run out of town. Since he took over in New England and had a team with some talent he’s now an NFL “genius” with his own family of coaching assistants who are now running their own teams at the college and pro level. I don’t know if Steve Spagnuolo will be a difference maker as head coach or not, but that’s because there’s no way to determine that until the talent on the squad is upgraded significantly.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

locazn is offline Registered User

Re: THE WATERCOOLER: The Rams: Bad coaching, just bad, or both?

Thanks these "experts" keep reminding us that we suck

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Count me in the group that believes that it’s as simple as not having enough good players. The things Spags is trying to implement have worked extremely well in Philadelphia and New York so there’s no reason they wouldn’t work here if they can get the right players. 99 percent of the time it’s talent that wins in pro sports. Bill Belichick was known as “Beli-choke” when he was the head coach of the Cleveland Browns and he got run out of town. Since he took over in New England and had a team with some talent he’s now an NFL “genius” with his own family of coaching assistants who are now running their own teams at the college and pro level. I don’t know if Steve Spagnuolo will be a difference maker as head coach or not, but that’s because there’s no way to determine that until the talent on the squad is upgraded significantly.
    This one sums it up pretty well for me ..

eldfan is offline Registered User

I would agree with that to but I might add, this coaching staff has rock my confidence I knew it was going to be a long year without many win but I did not expect us to be losing games by in average of 21 points a game and averaging 8 points a game on O.
    Last edited by eldfan; -10-27-2009 at 03:24 PM.
    :ramlogo: