throwback week

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

The Watercooler: Spags vs. Linehan...What's Changed?

08.31.2009 12:52 pm
    Spags vs. Linehan Ö whatís changed?
    By Roger Hensley

THE WATERCOOLER

QUESTION: With just two weeks remaining until the season opener, what are the tangible differences you see in the Rams under coach Steve Spagnuolo compared to the team during the Linehan era?

JIM THOMAS
    The first thing you notice is the presence each coach brings to the job every day. Spagnuolo can play what the players call ďthe big roomĒ ó the team meeting room. Linehan couldnít. Spagnuoloís speeches are direct and to the point. Linehanís werenít. Even in the NFL, players need to be motivated, inspired, and given guidance. They didnít always get that with Linehan.

BILL COATS
    They appear to be more aggressive and tougher on the field. And this might not be a tangible difference, but itís obvious that theyíve bought into what Spagnuolo has brought and have full trust in him.

BERNIE MIKLASZ
    Iíll keep this one simple: the players respect this coach and want to play for him.

JEFF GORDON
    At the end of the Linehan/Haslett era, there wasnít much life left. Guys were NOT flying around. This team clearly has more enthusiasm ó but we havenít seen a mind-blowing improvement to this point. The defense still gives up some big plays and the offense is still hit-or-miss. Since Bulger has been hurt, that huge question mark still hangs over the team. Can he regain his Pro Bowl form? To this point, we have no idea.

KATHLEEN NELSON
    If youíre looking for tangibles, as in stats, the teamís takeaway total is encouraging. But yards per carry, yards after the catch, red zone efficiency, and all that stuff that counts in fantasy leagues prove meaningless because the first string isnít always playing the first string, and a lot of the focus right now is on simply making the team, fighting for the final few spots at the bottom of the depth chart. The quality thatís most noticeable to me is intensity. Players seem to play with more emotion and focus more consistently than in the past. When the regular season begins, those intangibles could translate into measurable stats that could be better than last year. Not now, though.

KEVIN WHEELER (Host of ďSports Open LineĒ on KMOX)
    The team has more of an edge to it. Theyíre more aggressive, attack the opponent more and seem to enjoy the physical aspect to the game as opposed to getting pushed around like they did in the past. Some of that is the attitude of the Spagnuolo staff rubbing off on the players and some of it is simply feeling like there is hope. Players know when the end is near for a coaching staff and when that spiral of negativity begins to swirl itís almost impossible to go against the stream and maintain intensity. Spags and Co. have given the team a shot of energy with their enthusiastic approach and because the players were just begging for some kind of change after the last couple of years.

letsgoramz is offline Registered User

Re: The Watercooler: Spags vs. Linehan...What's Changed?

to me it seems like spags gets the team compete 100% to the point where they have a decent chance to win the game everytime . . under linehan there was no competion. . . we were just the defense to another teams offensive highlights
    Torry Holt Dont play that

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Even in the NFL, players need to be motivated, inspired, and given guidance.
    I don't doubt Jim Thomas; I'm sure he's right. However, that statement kinda makes me sick. If I'm the owner, I'm telling these guys, "Hey, I got your motivation right here in this envelope. It even has your name on it. It's called a paycheck. Oh I'm sorry, did I say paycheck? I meant BIG FRIKKIN' HUGE PAYCHECK!"
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

TekeRam is offline Registered User

It's kinda funny that they all said the same thing just in different ways... intensity. Spags is an intense guy who gets you to want to follow him through hell. Linny just asked kindly if you'd like to walk through a rose garden with him. The players respect and want to play for Spags and thus we will get that extra bit of effort that wins games in this league. Now we just need to get healthy and get into the regular season!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    It's kinda funny that they all said the same thing just in different ways... intensity. Spags is an intense guy who gets you to want to follow him through hell. Linny just asked kindly if you'd like to walk through a rose garden with him. The players respect and want to play for Spags and thus we will get that extra bit of effort that wins games in this league. Now we just need to get healthy and get into the regular season!
    Linny: Wud dyu like to play de footbawl viz me, Ricky Bobby?

Bobby: No way man! I'd rather play for Mike "Honcho" Martz than for you, Frenchyhan!

Last edited by HUbison; -09-01-2009 at 09:52 AM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

I saw Loserhan on the sideline of the Detroit game the other day and I almost hurled. I don't get that reaction with Spags. One of the things I am really looking forward to this season is no "dumb" plays. I can't recall specifics, because I choose to block out trauma in my life, but there were many plays Loserhan would call that just left me dumbfounded... I will NOT miss that at all!
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe View Post
    I saw Loserhan on the sideline of the Detroit game the other day and I almost hurled. I don't get that reaction with Spags. One of the things I am really looking forward to this season is no "dumb" plays. I can't recall specifics, because I choose to block out trauma in my life, but there were many plays Loserhan would call that just left me dumbfounded... I will NOT miss that at all!
    The one that always sticks out in my mind is the draw play on 3rd and 15+ almost every single time. I understand the need to mix it up, but it seemed like 90% of the time we had a 3rd and 15+ situation it was a draw that went nowhere since the D saw it coming. Followed by a punt on 4th and 14.