Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Watercooler: Is Suh the Rams’ best choice at No. 1?

Is Suh the Rams’ best choice at No. 1?
    By Roger Hensley
    01.05.2010 1:59 pm

THE WATERCOOLER

QUESTION: Now that the Rams have secured the No. 1 overall pick in next April’s NFL draft, do you think Nebraska’s Ndamukong Suh is the clear-cut choice, or is there another player you might consider in that spot? Or, with so many needs, do you think it might behoove the Rams to trade down and secure more early-round draft choices?

JIM THOMAS
    With so many needs, obviously the best scenario would be a trade-down that was too good to refuse. But trades at the No. 1 overall position don’t happen all that often. For now, Suh remains the clear-cut choice.

BILL COATS
    The Rams might well like to trade down, but the days of gaining a raft of picks for the top spot in the draft appear to be over. Teams covet their picks, plus they know the big dollars a No. 1 overall will cost them. Suh looks like a strong front-runner at this point, although GM Billy Devaney and his personnel folks haven’t even begun to work on their draft board yet.

JEFF GORDON
    Suh seems to offer a best-case scenario: a still-developing player with huge athletic potential. Many college players max out their ability in college after years of weightlifting. Suh, by contrast, came to Nebraska as a raw talent — and he didn’t really take off until this season, when he finally polished up his technique. Scouts seem to believe he will keep improving. The opportunity to add such a disruptive force at the point of attack is hard to resist. But . . . if the Rams could move down two or three spots and add some more high picks in the process, that is worth considering. Such deals are rare these days, but Suh apparently is a rare commodity.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Watercooler: Is Suh the Ramsí best choice at No. 1?

From the "Talking out of your posterior" file, I present to you...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    JEFF GORDON
    Suh, by contrast, came to Nebraska as a raw talent ó and he didnít really take off until this season, when he finally polished up his technique.
    Really? He didn't take off until this season?

Let's see what he did his Junior year...

76 tackles (lead team)
    7 sacks
    2 interceptions (both returned for TDs).

Congratulations Jeff Gordon, you have TALKED OUT OF YOUR POSTERIOR!

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    ...but Suh apparently is a rare commodity.

IF Suh is that rare a commodity (and everybody seems to think he is), why trade? It's not like we couldn't use him (desperately). How much would we save financially by trading down to #5? Enough to offset the talent of Suh? Would we really pickup the talent we need with 1 or 2 more lower round picks? I doubt it. There are just too many holes. This team has quite a bit of rebuilding to do. That's not going to happen in one year. If Suh is the best on the board, and the rare talent most think he is, then let the rebuilding begin on the defensive side of the ball. I'm game for The Fearsome Foursome, Part Deux.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

RamsFan16 Guest

Re: Watercooler: Is Suh the Rams’ best choice at No. 1?

I hate these "rare" players, it seems as if it's way to much hype. I don't mind Suh, but something about him, I don't trust. If we pick him, I'm not going to completely pout, but in our case, if a player out there is going to benefit us more, take them.

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

If we draft Suh, doe sthat mean we are no longer lookign to build around Steven Jackson? I heard that Calvin Johnson, an elite WR as we all know, will be hitting the market this offseason. Is there any chance of trading down to the lions and incorporating CJ into that trade? I would love to have Suh on this team, dont get me wrong, but I think we need to build around Jaxx becuase he is teh face of the franchise.

Warner4prez Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmedrams81 View Post
    If we draft Suh, doe sthat mean we are no longer lookign to build around Steven Jackson? I heard that Calvin Johnson, an elite WR as we all know, will be hitting the market this offseason. Is there any chance of trading down to the lions and incorporating CJ into that trade? I would love to have Suh on this team, dont get me wrong, but I think we need to build around Jaxx becuase he is teh face of the franchise.
    If we build up a powerhouse defense then Jackson will only get better. If we can keep opposing offenses off the field, that lets Jackson stay out on the field longer to run around and wreak havoc.
    If anyone in the top 5 wants to trade up for Suh, I'd let them though. There are still guys like McCoy or Cody maybe UCLA's DT might be worth a look depending on where he's going to be ranked. Or the other top ranked prospect this year Berry.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Warner4prez View Post
    If we build up a powerhouse defense then Jackson will only get better. If we can keep opposing offenses off the field, that lets Jackson stay out on the field longer to run around and wreak havoc.
    If anyone in the top 5 wants to trade up for Suh, I'd let them though. There are still guys like McCoy or Cody maybe UCLA's DT might be worth a look depending on where he's going to be ranked. Or the other top ranked prospect this year Berry.
    I'd make the argument that Suh helps SJ from a field position stand point, but I am not sure being on the field more or longer is going to help SJ. If being on the field longer were the case, which probably will happen, I'd think the need for a #2 RB capable of relieving SJ is even more of a priority. Michael Bush........go get him DV.
    Semper Fi!

richtree is offline Registered User

Does anyone have the last time the number one pick was traded (before the pick was actually made?).

and was came in return ? picks, players, etc ?

Mooselini Guest

Yes he's the best pick at the #1 pick. He has put up great numbers. Has shown that he will blow through just about any player.

Being 27th in the league for rush defense, we always needed that big DT in the middle. We haven't had one in years! So this is our opportunity to pick up that guy in the middle. Regardless of what anyone says, our primary objective is to build a fearful defense. We got Laurinaitis last year, which was an excellent pick. Lets continue to put pieces of this defense together!

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Does anyone have the last time the number one pick was traded (before the pick was actually made?).

and was came in return ? picks, players, etc ?
    To the best of my knowledge this has happened twice in the last twelve or so years. The Orlando Pace trade in 1998 yielded the Bill Parcells era Jets the Rams 1st (6th overall) 3rd, 4th and 7th round draft picks. The Eli Manning trade of 2004 sent a boatload of picks to the Chargers in exchange for Peyton's little brother. The Chargers landed Phillip Rivers, Shawne Merriman and Nate Kaeding as a result of the trade. It cost the Giants their first and third round picks in 2004 and their first and fifth round picks in 2005.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    Yes he's the best pick at the #1 pick. He has put up great numbers. Has shown that he will blow through just about any player.

Being 27th in the league for rush defense, we always needed that big DT in the middle. We haven't had one in years! So this is our opportunity to pick up that guy in the middle. Regardless of what anyone says, our primary objective is to build a fearful defense. We got Laurinaitis last year, which was an excellent pick. Lets continue to put pieces of this defense together!

I wouldn't call Suh a "big" DT.

He's 6'4, around 300lbs. We have our "big" DT in Clifton Ryan. Suh is more of a penetrating machine, with amazing strength and speed.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) Guest

i heard that adam carriker guy isnt that small either...

*cough* "6'6 310"