throwback week

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

The Watercooler: Will The Rams Reach Bye Week At 0-8

10.06.2009 1:43 pm
    Will Rams reach bye week at 0-8?
    By Roger Hensley

THE WATERCOOLER

QUESTION: The Rams are 0-4 and have the Minnesota Vikings coming to town this weekend. After that the Rams travel to Jacksonville, host Indianapolis and travel to Detroit. Do you see the Rams getting a win before their bye in Week 9? If so, where do you think it will come?

JIM THOMAS
    I donít know where the win comes from. Whether the Rams played Green Bay, Minnesota, Indianapolis or New Orleans, home, away or in Saskatchewan, the resultís probably the same: A loss. But what could be winnable games at home, such as Jacksonville and Detroit, are on the road, where itsí always more difficult to win under any circumstances. (The Sept. 20 game at Washington would also fall into this category.) So the schedule works against the Rams. And at 6 points a game in scoring, the Rams might have to pitch a shutout to end their losing streak.

BILL COATS
    No, I see the Rams getting their first win right after the bye week, with a big upset of the Saints. Thereís precedence: two years ago, the Rams were 0-8 and won at New Orleans after their bye. So, why canít history repeat itself?

JEFF GORDON
    After watching the massive Week 4 regression, it is hard to feel optimistic about the Ramsí chances in any professional football. Since the Rams apparently have no ability to throw the ball down the field, opponents will gang-tackle Steven Jackson until he breaks down. I believed this team had a chance to win a half-dozen games back before the injuries hit and the losses mounted. Now I cannot see them winning a game before the bye.

KATHLEEN NELSON
    The only chance on paper appears to be in Detroit. To win on the road, though, the Ramsí defense must continue to improve and come up with a turnover or two or three. The offensive line remains the key on the other side. Until it improves and protects the QB, the offense will be too one-dimensional, relying only on Steven Jackson.

KEVIN WHEELER (Host of ďSports Open LineĒ on KMOX)
    I donít see a win happening before the bye, but then again, I donít think any of us saw them beating Dallas last year either. Strange things happen in football so the Rams could prove me wrong, but until they stop shooting themselves in the foot game after game itís hard to predict a win for the home team. The best chance for a win looks like the game at Detroit but even the Lions are scoring some points. Before I can feel good about a potential win, Iíd have to see some signs of life on offense.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: The Watercooler: Will The Rams Reach Bye Week At 0-8

It all rests on the offense. The defense is there already, as they're doing their jobs with lights out play, in my humble opinion. They're holding teams for the first half virtually scoreless, but are gassed by the fourth quarter because they get no rest from the offense. Once the offense, if the offense, gets there, we might actually start to win some low scoring games. I think either the Jacksonville or the Detroit games are possible, but I dunno. The O needs to show up.
    I believe!

makersncoke is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    It all rests on the offense. The defense is there already, as they're doing their jobs with lights out play, in my humble opinion. They're holding teams for the first half virtually scoreless, but are gassed by the fourth quarter because they get no rest from the offense. Once the offense, if the offense, gets there, we might actually start to win some low scoring games. I think either the Jacksonville or the Detroit games are possible, but I dunno. The O needs to show up.
    I agree 100% with ya, the defense, I think has played way better than the final scores have shown. They simply cannot be on the field for 40 min. a game. If somehow the offense could get just a couple of sustained drives that could eat 5-7 minutes a crack off the clock, our defense would be in better shape late in the game. If I could win the lottery my bank statement would look alot better also.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Any given Sunday. Nobody predicted the Cowboys would fall to the Rams last year.

AlphaRam Guest

I believe I will go to St. Louis this week to spur on a victory. I did this before and broke an 0-5 start in 2002.

(and maybe see if I can catch the Dodgers vs the Cardinals)
    Last edited by AlphaRam; -10-06-2009 at 07:52 PM.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Agree it will depend on if the D keep on improving but right now it donít seem likely.
    :ramlogo:

Mooselini Guest

I'm telling you guys! I'm calling it again, first game out of the by week we will beat the Saints...AGAIN!

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

Hard to really predict where our first win will come. Like RebelYell said, nobody saw us knocking off the cowboys last year. I think our first winn will come against Jacksonville.

locazn is offline Registered User

An upset against the Saints would be picture perfect...I am heading over to the in laws for that game..they are hardcore Saints Fans. They have been laughing at me all year so far...would be sweet payback.. GoOO RAMS!! All these games are winnable if our offence shows up!

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Like I told you guys before in a previous thread, WE ARE NOT WINNING ANY GAMES THIS YEAR. THIS TEAM IS LAcKING TALENT BADLY ESPEcIALLY THE O LINE . How can a team win a game with no real receivers and one running back?

GrnGyant Guest

Am I the only one who likes the jacksonville game? Maybe its just my misperception, but they seem to be a mess this year. If our defense plays well again, and we can score a couple field goals early, I think we could hold onto it.

jdh008 is offline Registered User

I wouldn't call the Jags a mess by any stretch. That mess has wins over Houston and Tennessee. While neither of those wins are earth-shattering, that's two more wins than most thought they would have at this point.

The best shot for a win appears to be Detroit, but the farther along this season gets, the more comfortable Stafford gets and the more dangerous they become. They have two legitimate weapons in Calvin Johnson and Kevin Smith.