Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Rambos
  • 1 Post By MoonJoe

Thread: Watkins regrets being out of shape

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Watkins regrets being out of shape

8 hours ago BY DAN O'NEILL

If you're disappointed in Rokevious Watkins, frustrated by his reporting to training camp in substandard condition, you have lots of company, around 340 pounds of it.

In other words, no one is more upset with No. 73 than the Ram who is wearing it.

"Of course, of course," said Watkins, an offensive tackle from South Carolina and fifth-round pick in the draft. "I'm more upset at myself than the coaches are, because I felt like I had control of things and it just got away from me. So I'm just going to keep on going and working hard."

Mind you, Watkins is in shape. It's just a slightly more circular shape than the coaching staff envisioned for the 23-year-old, who is listed at 6 feet 3, 338 pounds. Throughout the three days of rookie camp, the School of Rok featured an individual curriculum, which included running outdoors and conditioning work in the cooler confines of the building.

As camp has progressed into the full-squad phase, Watkins has advanced to graduate school. He has been more visible the past two days at Rams Park, participating in drills with his offensive line peers before breaking off for more individualized work. He still has not lined up with the offense for an intrasquad play from scrimmage.

Nonetheless, it is easy to see why the Rams are high on Watkins. He is remarkably athletic for his ample size, and the coaching staff is eager to see him in a competitive environment. "He's a strong young player and he's just a little bit behind because he's missed; but we'll try to get him caught up," coach Jeff Fisher said.

Watkins hails from Fairburn, Ga., where the Southern cooking always has made it difficult for him to balance the scales.

"Throughout college, my weight fluctuated," Watkins said. "I had problems with conditioning, but that's something I'm putting in the past. I'm going to work through it and get to where I need to be."

The most difficult part of Watkins' predicament is the mental aspect. It's one thing to go through tedious workout routines to get in condition. It's another to be isolated from the rest of the team, in effect sitting in a corner with a "Dunce" cap on.

"You want to be out there with the team, it's your first camp," Watkins said. "You're trying to learn as much as you can. And then when you can't be out there because of something as simple as conditioning, something you're supposed to have done, it really bites you in the behind.

"It was a big disappointment to myself especially, and to the program. I just want to work as hard as I can to get to where they want me to be so I can be out there."

no flab on jackson

Steven Jackson created a buzz by arriving at 234.8 pounds, carrying just 5.1 percent of body fat. Moreover, the veteran running back has aspirations of adding an eighth consecutive season of 1,000 yards rushing. If he does, he will move into a tie for third on the career list of longest such streaks.

Emmitt Thomas had 11 consecutive 1,000-yard seasons, Curtis Martin and Barry Sanders collected 10, while Thurman Thomas and LaDainian Tomlinson had eight. Four of those five are in the Hall of Fame, while Tomlinson is considered a shoo-in when he becomes eligible. When asked about those things, Jackson naturally focused on those individual goals, which of course sends his detractors into a tizzy. But to be fair, Jackson emphasizes his primary goals are team-oriented.

"First and foremost, my goal is to get in the playoffs," Jackson said. "At this point in my career, I want to focus on that part of it. I've been extremely blessed individually, now I'd like to start adding on to that team accomplishment list that I have for myself."

sitting out

Along with Watkins, a few others did not practice Tuesday. Receiver Danario Alexander (hamstring) and rookie running back Daryl Richardson (leg) did some running but otherwise remained on the sidelines. Free agent center Tim Barnes (Missouri) had a calf issue, while veteran cornerbacks Josh Gordy and Kendric Burney also sat out.

The latter two "were just tight," Fisher said. "You know, they had hamstring issues during the spring, so we backed them down."

The absence of two defensive backs on a toasty afternoon made things more challenging for the defensive backfield group. Less is definitely not more when it comes to working in the oppressive heat. But safety Quintin Mikell said it comes with the territory.

"It's a little tough, but it's just one of the things that happens in camp, so hopefully we'll get those guys back healthy and everything will get back to normal, " Mikell said. "It was tough out there, but it's a different type of toughness.

"I mean it's hot out here, but it's not like, 'I don't want to be out here.' I mean, we're all flying around and having fun. In that aspect of the heat, we're still having fun, so that made it a lot better."

final terms

Chris Long's contract extension officially was finalized Monday evening. The deal adds four years (2013-2016) and $50 million to Long's existing contract. Counting his existing 2012 year, the contract calls for $60 million over five years, $37 million of which is guaranteed.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Rambos is online now Registered User

Re: Watkins regrets being out of shape

Chris Long's contract extension officially was finalized Monday evening. The deal adds four years (2013-2016) and $50 million to Long's existing contract. Counting his existing 2012 year, the contract calls for $60 million over five years, $37 million of which is guaranteed.

Note to Jenkins, do the right things off the field over the next four years and the Rams will give you $37 million of which is guaranteed money! Follow Longs lead!
    THOLTFAN81, Tampa_Ram and ZiaRam like this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Well, no fecal matter, Sherlock!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

"Watkins regrets being out of shape..."

Me too, pass me another glazed buttermilk bar would you?
    Nick likes this.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood